Live A Live - PC Version Impressions

GBAtemp Live A Live Impressions.png

A week ago, Live A Live landed on PC, PS4 and PS5, making the former Nintendo Switch-exclusive, and before that Japan-only, title available to more gamers. While the game is still essentially the same that we reviewed when it came out on the Switch, this impressions piece will go over the PC version. I’d encourage you to check out our full review of the Switch version which scored a 9.5/10.

As a refresher, Live A Live is a JRPG that lets you follow the individual stories of 7 characters - not unlike Octopath Traveler - but spanning different periods of time. This ranges from the Wild West to the present time to the far future; and each chapter can be played in parallel or independently and can be swapped at will. While every character's story is different, each is captivating in its own right. There’s the mysterious case of child kidnappings in the near future; the stealth mission of an Edo-era apprentice shinobi; and six more across different time periods that unexpectedly weave together.

char select.jpg

envi 1.jpg envi 3.jpg

Live A Live’s gameplay features the traditional gamut of JRPG mechanics mixing exploration and a streamlined turn-based combat with a party. The game’s unique feature is that each character has a special ability. This ability can be used during exploration such as reading the minds of NPCs or having an invisibility shield. This can lead to different gameplay approaches such as adopting a more stealth style or a more combat-heavy one in the feudal Japan chapter.

combat 2.jpg

power 1.jpg power 2.jpg power 3.jpg

Combining the original, independent stories, exploration of different eras and engaging in tactical combat results in a gripping experience. With voice acting and a revamped HD-2D visuals, Live A Live looks and feels like a contemporary title with some inkling of nostalgia.

envi 2.jpg

envi 4.jpg combat 3.jpg combat 1.jpg

These similarities are shared across the platforms the game has launched on. On PC, you’ll have access to additional settings to tweak the looks and performance based on your liking or your system’s capabilities. You can adjust the frame rate, shadow quality, rendering scale and anti-aliasing. There’s also the option to remap controller/keypad buttons for your custom setup.

More importantly, the PC version of the game ran flawlessly during my playthrough. As it is also Steam Deck compatible, it makes for a right fit for on-the-go gaming if you didn’t have the chance to play it on the Switch.

pc settings.jpg

Now that it is available on more platforms, Live A Live is an easy recommendation for fans of JRPGs as this one delivers an original premise that’s gripping throughout.

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
So far, I haven't got any issues with PC ports of HD-2D games. Hoping that DQ3 remake will have the same fate.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
To be fair the Switch is six year old and was underpowered even compared to a Ps4. Nowadays? Programing for it is basically like making a game for two console generations behind.

Call of Duty would actually work on a Switch, just port the games for the Wii. Like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Reflex. :)

Last edited by raxadian,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Oh wow, a nostalgic elitist...
Some people don't know about it and it is good information. I think it kind of underpins how the industry has changed. You know, it did and does continue to change.

In the future, when you make a statement about a time when everything wasn't an NFT, or how you used to be able to buy a game, snot-nosed kids will toss the same accusation at ya.

i think the point they're making is that this version specifically will perform better because it isn't the switch version

I think they understood and we're just poking at a low effort post.

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Some people don't know about it and it is good information. I think it kind of underpins how the industry has changed. You know, it did and does continue to change.

In the future, when you make a statement about a time when everything wasn't an NFT, or how you used to be able to buy a game, snot-nosed kids will toss the same accusation at ya.

I think they understood and we're just poking at a low effort post.
I was talking about the fact that he considers this an "average game", but okay

Reactions: 64bitmodels

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I was talking about the fact that he considers this an "average game", but okay
"Average" games used to be good by today's standards. That's why he said "What a blast the 16bit era was!"

There were many genre-defining games to compete with and the market wasn't oversaturated with crapware for consoles.

Last edited by tabzer,

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
and the market wasn't oversaturated with crapware

Actually.... crapware was one of the main four reasons behind the

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983

That's why Nintendo was so hard veting the games during the Nes era, at least in the USA and Europe.

Then the Wii happened and we got flooded with crapware. Not the PS1 didn't have crapware but it got nothing compared to the Wii.

Reactions: Kioku and tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Actually.... crapware was one of the main four reasons behind the

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983

That's why Nintendo was so hard veting the games during the Nes era, at least in the USA and Europe.

Then the Wii happened and we got flooded with crapware. Not the PS1 didn't have crapware but it got nothing compared to the Wii.
I don't disagree with your assessment, but the focus was on the 16 bit era of console gaming.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like this game? From where I came from (Super Nintendo/Mega Drive dimension) this is just an average game.
an average game wouldn't get translated so quickly by aeon genesis. this is a standout.
if you want a real average game play something like aero the acro bat. Now that is average.

Reactions: Cris1997XX

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I don't disagree with your assessment, but the focus was on the 16 bit era of console gaming.

Most of the crap games I remember from that era were for PC. Oh and licensed games, can't forget those. Basically almost every licensed game based on something that wasn't Disney was likely to be crap and or hard as hell.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Most of the crap games I remember from that era were for PC. Oh and licensed games, can't forget those. Basically almost every licensed game based on something that wasn't Disney was likely to be crap and or hard as hell.
I remember Independence Day franchise toys included 3.5 floppies with exciting garbage.

an average game wouldn't get translated so quickly by aeon genesis. this is a standout.
if you want a real average game play something like aero the acro bat. Now that is average.

They also translated Super Robot Wars 4. I tried playing Live a Live. It's unique, but as a game, I rate it less than Super Mario World. (Still alright though. I'll try it again later)

Last edited by tabzer,

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would I be considered part of the minority wanting to actually play the original version using a decent fan translation rom hack rather than the "Pixel Remaster" version? I really don't care for all the smoke and mirrors the Pixel Remaster has to offer...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    +2
  • C @ Clayton44333:
    hey any1 know if there is a new version of the ps4 homebrew store ?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Finally there are people here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We're figments of your imagination
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, prove it
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it