PS1/2 LittleBigPlanet worldwide delay by one muslim guy.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
this is what he wrote:

QUOTE said:
very urgent about little big planet

To: Sony Computer Entertainment & Media Molecule

While playing your latest game, "LittleBigPlanet" in the first level of the third world in the game (titled "Swinging Safari":smileywink:, I have noticed something strange in the lyrics of the music track of the level. When I listened carefully, I was surprised to hear some very familiar Arabic words from the Quran. You can listen to part of the track here:

************/share/p...lip22503c0.wav

The words are:

1- In the 18th second: "?? ??? ????? ?????" ("kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death').

2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: "?? ?? ????? ???" ("kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish').

I asked many of my friends online and offline and they heard the exact same thing that I heard easily when I played that part of the track. Certain Arabic hardcore gaming forums are already discussing this, so we decided to take action by emailing you before this spreads to mainstream attention.

We Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Quran deeply offending. We hope you would remove that track from the game immediately via an online patch, and make sure that all future shipments of the game disk do not contain it.

We would also like to mention that this isn't the first time something like this happened in videogames. Nintendo's 1998 hit "Zelda: Ocarina of Time" contained a musical track with islamic phrases, but it was removed in later shipments of the game after Nintendo was contacted by Muslim organizations. Last year, Capcom's "Zack & Wiki" and Activision's "Call of Duty 4" also contained objectionable material offensive to Muslims that was spotted before the release of the final games, and both companies thankfully removed the content.

We hope you act immediately to avoid any confusion and unnecessary controversy, and we thank you for making such an amazing game.

Regards,
yasser
psn id : solid08 picture: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=394683497

solid08 was his PSN, but he actualyl suggested an Online patch, and he was trying to help Sony from getting into deeper trouble.

community.eu.playstation.com forum complained:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/playst...ding&page=1

1phsno.jpg

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh man, so I should send my copy of Ocarina of Time to the past (pardon the game-related pun) because the Fire Temple had it too. D:

Though yeah, uh...*cough*, the whole thing about "every soul shall have the taste of death" is a bit much.

TheSpade

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, it wasn't an elementary case of one follower of the Muslim faith that caused all of this. It was the fears on the part of Sony of the lyrics instigating protests from the Muslim communities. Considering the last notable situation involving another form of entertainment, specifically the cartoon which first appeared in a Danish newspaper in September of 2006 and have been reprinted by others, sparked worldwide violence, including deaths, Sony is taking the safe route at a personal fiscal and possible consumer faith loss onto themselves in order to remove any signs of impropriety on their parts. No, I don't agree that we should always tip-toe around a few zealous members of any community, including my own Christian ones who I come at odds with regularly, but understandably, this is a case of a company whom do not wish to provoke in the slightest degree a tragic history that may repeat itself.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can understand why Sony did it, they are a supported retailer in Middle Eastern companies, and they do a whole lot more than just sell videogames. Although, I would like to point out the other side of the coin, if there was a quote taken from the Torah, the New or Old Testament, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster manual, this wouldn't have occurred, yet Sony wants to avoid a debacle like the Mohammed cartoons and the Hitman 2 release.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I love when companies slap something in.

Guy 1: This sounds cool, let's put this song in the game.
Guy 2: Is that English? It doesn't sound like English.
Guy 1: I dunno. I think it might be Mexican.
Guy 2: But what's is it saying?
Guy 1: Probably singing about burritos or something.
Guy 2: Ah. Slap that puppy in there then.

Upperleft

Namcoholic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I have one question: how the hell did he get the copy of LittleBigPlanet?
Most of the retailers in the Middle East sell their copies before the game's release date
tongue.gif

anyway, i like how the people on are acting on GAF..
EDIT:
QUOTELittleBigPlanet worldwide delay by one muslim guy.
it's not like he asked Sony to delay the game, he just asked for a patch, you know..

Hermessz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
This is bullshit.
Nothing was on purpose, and there wasn't any actuall intend of hurting muslim's feelings.
As a jew, and a believing jew, I don't really care if someone quotes the bible in a game, I actually would feel honor.

End of story, this is total bullshit.

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
While the fact that quotes from the Qu'ran are in there, I could care less. However, they could have picked some friendlier quotes. I know a man fluent in Arabic and he confirmed what it said -- so I agree that it should have been pulled from the game. I'm just annoyed it happened so close to the release date, and I didn't hear about it until I went to the store to buy it. It's just about the only game I'm looking forward to on PS3 right now. Me = Sad.

Trulen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I'm not mistaken, that's a forbidden phrase from the [insert book name here because I can't spell it].

'S what I heard through the grapevine from an intelligent poster.

cardyology

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
two selected quotes from the Quran....

one is "Every soul shall have the taste of death"

and the other is "all that is on earth shall perish"

Not a very friendly bunch, are they?
unsure.gif

/controversy.

Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boolbla said:
This is bullshit.
Nothing was on purpose, and there wasn't any actuall intend of hurting muslim's feelings.
As a jew, and a believing jew, I don't really care if someone quotes the bible in a game, I actually would feel honor.

End of story, this is total bullshit.
OBJECTION!

Are you really Jewish?

For some reason I really doubt that.

Because if you are you shouldn't be reading the Bible, genius.

You should be reading the Tanakh!

Unless you have been reading the wrong book, and had no clue.

Also as a Muslim I would like to understand exactly why they put those two quotes from the Quran in the game.

TheSpade

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The Old Testament of the Holy Bible of Christianity is the equivalent of the Hebrew Bible (Tanakh) in the practice of Judaism. Now, let's not get into a religious argument in here. He says he is Jewish, so we must take him at his word. As for why those quotes from the Qu'ran were sampled or inserted into the song, I honestly have no clue. You'd have to address the song's writer, performer, producer, etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Gotta catch em all lol