Hacking List of all Gateway questions (9.2.0-20)

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figure I'd ask a few questions. Sorry if they're dumb or have been presented before. I have a 9.2 firmware on my 3DS XL, if that helps.

- Assuming this update is out, does it have to be added to the card to be acknowledged and given instant use on 3DS, or installed on a card in the 3DS? For example, DSTWO requires updates to be done while running the flash card in the system. I wanted to know if the same had to be applied here, if I had to update the card fully from the PC or put the update on the card and install it while in use on a 3DS. The latter would require me to buy a card already with the firmware I have, no? The upgrade would be for those who already have the card running?
- Can one keep internet access on the device despite not upgrading the firmware? I ask primarily because these games now have DLC, and I believe the only way to get that content is to buy it outright. I recall there was something that apparently allowed this, but I don't remember what, or if it's been busted. This bit may make or break me getting the card, as there are a lot of eShop titles I have interest in, and Nintendo's becoming more keen on first party DLC.

dontay0100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figure I'd ask a few questions. Sorry if they're dumb or have been presented before. I have a 9.2 firmware on my 3DS XL, if that helps.

- Assuming this update is out, does it have to be added to the card to be acknowledged and given instant use on 3DS, or installed on a card in the 3DS? For example, DSTWO requires updates to be done while running the flash card in the system. I wanted to know if the same had to be applied here, if I had to update the card fully from the PC or put the update on the card and install it while in use on a 3DS. The latter would require me to buy a card already with the firmware I have, no? The upgrade would be for those who already have the card running?
- Can one keep internet access on the device despite not upgrading the firmware? I ask primarily because these games now have DLC, and I believe the only way to get that content is to buy it outright. I recall there was something that apparently allowed this, but I don't remember what, or if it's been busted. This bit may make or break me getting the card, as there are a lot of eShop titles I have interest in, and Nintendo's becoming more keen on first party DLC.

Most likely the update you will need will be applied to the sd card of your 3ds as in just copy and paste ( if going by the past).. From what Gateway are saying, all cards will work for all 3ds regardless of firmware now. But your 3ds atm isn't capable of reading the Gateway due to it not being supported ( yet ).

Yes you can keep internet access but the 3ds will automattically search for new updates and if one is present it will nag you about updating. And the problem about updating is you will lose gateway support and be stuck to being legit once more. As for DLC and updates, you can now install them via DEVMENU so you won't need to go to eshop. Also going to eshop will prompt you to update if you aren't on the latest firmware as well. And once again updating past 9.2 will block gateway support.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to confirm that 9.2 support will not require new hardware. I have a 9.2 xl and want to know if I am safe buying one now. I have a DSI XL that still can use a acekard 2i so I figure I could always use that if the Gateway Red Card required a firmware update. At least I hope that would work? Any links to where Gateway confirmed no new hardware?

I read somewhere that old and new GW cards will work, no requirement of a new card. I also have an OoT Ltd unit with 9.2.0.20 running and am expecting to use my GW card once firmware is released. Any 3DS should work as long as it has 9.0-9.2.0.20 firmware as GW stated.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely the update you will need will be applied to the sd card of your 3ds as in just copy and paste ( if going by the past).. From what Gateway are saying, all cards will work for all 3ds regardless of firmware now. But your 3ds atm isn't capable of reading the Gateway due to it not being supported ( yet ).

Yes you can keep internet access but the 3ds will automattically search for new updates and if one is present it will nag you about updating. And the problem about updating is you will lose gateway support and be stuck to being legit once more. As for DLC and updates, you can now install them via DEVMENU so you won't need to go to eshop. Also going to eshop will prompt you to update if you aren't on the latest firmware as well. And once again updating past 9.2 will block gateway support.

Thanks for the answers. I have a new question, now!

What is DEVMENU? How does that offer access to downloadable content and games?

dontay0100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the answers. I have a new question, now!

What is DEVMENU? How does that offer access to downloadable content and games?

DEVMENU is an application 3ds dev kits have which enables content to be installed from a CIA file. Cia files are what our dlc and updates, and eshop games are. You can download DEVMENU as a 3ds rom and use gateway to run it... and you can also install it onto your 3ds so you don't have to do it over and over via gateway

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DEVMENU is an application 3ds dev kits have which enables content to be installed from a CIA file. Cia files are what our dlc and updates, and eshop games are. You can download DEVMENU as a 3ds rom and use gateway to run it... and you can also install it onto your 3ds so you don't have to do it over and over via gateway

Short answer: The 3DS version of "WAD Manager".

Oh, so in other words it's more than likely a method to install such content? It's not a method to play online and purchase things? Like for example, if I wanted Fire Emblem: Awakening's DLC, this method doesn't give me online access to buy the content, but simply a method to install the content via CIA files, presumably by finding them on the internet? Is that how it goes?

I'd like a full explanation of the following example. Say, I have Fire Emblem: Awakening. How do I run that on a Gateway? Drag and drop onto the card? None of that Emunand jazz (what is this, anyway)? And to add the DLC, I need DEVMENU to install it after finding a CIA file that has it? Is this how it applies to all games, even from other regions? What if the game requires a newer firmware than the base system? Does that get circumvented with a Gateway, or is CFW needed?

Muskusrat

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Couldn't find an awnser to this question.
- how do game saves work with the latest version(s) of gateway? I saw old tutorials that said you can only save by shutting down the game / console (so not with normal save option in games).

dontay0100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, so in other words it's more than likely a method to install such content? It's not a method to play online and purchase things? Like for example, if I wanted Fire Emblem: Awakening's DLC, this method doesn't give me online access to buy the content, but simply a method to install the content via CIA files, presumably by finding them on the internet? Is that how it goes?

I'd like a full explanation of the following example. Say, I have Fire Emblem: Awakening. How do I run that on a Gateway? Drag and drop onto the card? None of that Emunand jazz (what is this, anyway)? And to add the DLC, I need DEVMENU to install it after finding a CIA file that has it? Is this how it applies to all games, even from other regions? What if the game requires a newer firmware than the base system? Does that get circumvented with a Gateway, or is CFW needed?

Yes this method is for installing purposes only, if you want to purchase something you would need to be on the latest firmware or you won't be able to connect to it. Online access will be restricted unless you are on the latest firmware, Gateway is able to bypass this with Emunand. And yes you find cia files from searching around....

Ok if you have Fire Emblem, is it a file or the actual game card?? If its the file you just drag and drop it on your microsd card put it in your gateway.. put your gateway in the 3ds and bam finish.. just push select and a menu will pop up with all games on your microsd card... CIA files are used by every game by every region if it has an update or any dlc. If you have a usa console and download a japanese game you wont be able to update the game via eshop but with DEVMENU you can install that regions update. Emunand is basically CFW but only works with Gateway or any other FLASHCART that works with it...

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes this method is for installing purposes only, if you want to purchase something you would need to be on the latest firmware or you won't be able to connect to it. Online access will be restricted unless you are on the latest firmware, Gateway is able to bypass this with Emunand. And yes you find cia files from searching around....

Ok if you have Fire Emblem, is it a file or the actual game card?? If its the file you just drag and drop it on your microsd card put it in your gateway.. put your gateway in the 3ds and bam finish.. just push select and a menu will pop up with all games on your microsd card... CIA files are used by every game by every region if it has an update or any dlc. If you have a usa console and download a japanese game you wont be able to update the game via eshop but with DEVMENU you can install that regions update. Emunand is basically CFW but only works with Gateway or any other FLASHCART that works with it...

I understand all of this, but I don't have a GW yet so it's all just theory to me - Can't wait to get it and GW to release 9.2 support to actually do all of this stuff!!

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so - it is safe to update emunand to 9.4 ? any drawbacks ?
thank you in advance.

You can't run Ninjhax from EmuNAND via a CIA of Cubic Ninja anymore. EmuNANDTool exists for a reason. It's always a good idea to back your EmuNAND up before updating. Backup your 9.2, and you can go back to it if you ever need it for anything.

Couldn't find an awnser to this question.
- how do game saves work with the latest version(s) of gateway? I saw old tutorials that said you can only save by shutting down the game / console (so not with normal save option in games).

That's outdated information from before the multi-rom menu even existed. Saves are every bit as automatic as with a real game now (they just go to the root of the SD, and use the ID for the name).

For your example, that depends on if you have the ROM or CIA of Fire Emblem (or even the real card). If you have Fire Emblem as a ROM, you put it on a MicroSD card and place it in the red card. Then, with the device in normal Gateway mode, you would tap select, pick your ROM, then hit A, then play the game as if it was a normal card. If you have it as a CIA, you place it on the internal SD card and use DevMenu/BigBlueBox to install it, exit, and then there will be a new package for you to open. At which point it functions just like any other e-shop game purchase. If you want to use the real card, boot into Legacy mode. You could use DevMenu/BigBlueBox to install CIAs of any DLC, updates, etc. you may have downloaded (needs to be placed in the root of the internal SD card). If the current firmware is supported in EmuNAND (which the recent 2.7 update added support for again), you could also get any of the downloadable content from the e-shop.

As for that "EmuNAND jazz" it's basically a virtual copy of your system's firmware. It's stored on a separate partition on the internal SD card. It's called EmuNAND because NAND is the form of flash memory the 3DS uses to store its firmware and settings. There's really not much to it. You set it, and forget it. Once you've had the Gateway software create it, it starts automatically when you go into Gateway mode. It starts out being an exact duplicate of your 4.5 firmware, but you see "GW" in front of the firmware number. You can update it as if it was real firmware (but without losing your exploit). One thing to remember, if you exit the settings menu from EmuNAND, it kicks you back out to your real firmware (this can be inconvenient if you weren't wanting to exit, but it has its uses too). My personal recommendation is to set a theme once you have EmuNAND running 9.x (I like the black one, personally). That way you can tell at a glance whether you're on system firmware or EmuNAND. So, this allows you to run the latest firmware (more or less) while staying on 4.5 for the exploit. You can think of it as having CFW, but the full firmware is actually present. An EmuNAND is a 100% copy, you can even system transfer it to real firmware, but the transferred system would not have any exploits). The Gateway software simply chooses which parts to run, and which parts to ignore. You can therefore access the e-shop and play games with a newer FW requirement. Unlike the PS3, the 3DS doesn't have being on the latest FW as a requirement for online play (only the latest update). So, if you grabbed the latest Pokemon X/Y update from the e-shop before 9.3 hit, you could still have been playing it online on your 9.2 EmuNAND while you were waiting for 2.7 to come out. If not, you could still have installed the update from a CIA.

One thing to be aware of that many people seem to overlook is the existence of a tool called EmuNANDTool. With this, you can backup the EmuNAND partition, and use said backups to revert to previous firmwares whenever you want. Why people continue to update without doing this is a bit of a mystery. Make a backup before every update. Then you won't be one of these noobs that's always going, "omg, I just updated my EmuNAND and got a black screen, help" LOL.

Not that that a messed up EmuNAND is a catastrophe (half of its purpose is to serve as an expendable copy, so that you're not screwed if you brick it). You can always format EmuNAND, taking it back to 4.5. As long as your real firmware is using the same profile (though there's more drawbacks than benefits to that), you won't even lose your purchased downloads (not that lost apps are anything to sweat over, there are CIAs for just about everything, including Netflix and Youtube). Though if you're using separate profiles to keep your EmuNAND icons from showing up in SysNAND (to do this, remove the SD card and format system memory while in normal firmware, note that this will destroy all personal information and settings, and you'll lose any non-built-in apps you had in 4.5, you're basically wiping it clean and starting over as a new user, but it's not like anyone uses real firmware mode for much anyway, you go online, it's going to ask you to update after all), that means your EmuNAND profile is unique now, and formatting will kill it. So, how do you keep your original profile after doing this? Easy. Just use EmuNANDTool to restore your original NAND dump to your EmuNAND whenever you need to reset it, instead of formatting (the Gateway software has an option to create a NAND dump as a safety precaution, creating one and backing it up to your PC is a heavily recommended first step, one that is shown in the video that demonstrates how to set it up at that, so, if you followed the instructions, you're in good shape). You can use a ROM to update EmuNAND if the latest FW is not currently supported (as of 2.7, it is). Smash Bros. will put you on 8.1, the newest any current game requires (just hold up on the d-pad when pressing DS Profile to enable ROM updating). You just might not be able to use all of your purchases until you can get back to 9 (especially themes). So you see, even if you're somewhat careless, it's fairly forgiving.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For your example, that depends on if you have the ROM or CIA of Fire Emblem (or even the real card). If you have Fire Emblem as a ROM, you put it on a MicroSD card and place it in the red card. Then, with the device in normal Gateway mode, you would tap select, pick your ROM, then hit A, then play the game as if it was a normal card. If you have it as a CIA, you place it on the internal SD card and use DevMenu/BigBlueBox to install it, exit, and then there will be a new package for you to open. At which point it functions just like any other e-shop game purchase. If you want to use the real card, boot into Legacy mode. You could use DevMenu/BigBlueBox to install CIAs of any DLC, updates, etc. you may have downloaded (needs to be placed in the root of the internal SD card). If the current firmware is supported in EmuNAND (which the recent 2.7 update added support for again), you could also get any of the downloadable content from the e-shop.

As for that "EmuNAND jazz" it's basically a virtual copy of your system's firmware. It's stored on a separate partition on the internal SD card. It's called EmuNAND because NAND is the form of flash memory the 3DS uses to store its firmware and settings. There's really not much to it. You set it, and forget it. Once you've had the Gateway software create it, it starts automatically when you go into Gateway mode. It starts out being an exact duplicate of your 4.5 firmware, but you see "GW" in front of the firmware number. You can update it as if it was real firmware (but without losing your exploit). One thing to remember, if you exit the settings menu from EmuNAND, it kicks you back out to your real firmware (this can be inconvenient if you weren't wanting to exit, but it has its uses too). My personal recommendation is to set a theme once you have EmuNAND running 9.x (I like the black one, personally). That way you can tell at a glance whether you're on system firmware or EmuNAND. So, this allows you to run the latest firmware (more or less) while staying on 4.5 for the exploit. You can think of it as having CFW, but the full firmware is actually present. An EmuNAND is a 100% copy, you can even system transfer it to real firmware, but the transferred system would not have any exploits). The Gateway software simply chooses which parts to run, and which parts to ignore. You can therefore access the e-shop and play games with a newer FW requirement. Unlike the PS3, the 3DS doesn't have being on the latest FW as a requirement for online play (only the latest update). So, if you grabbed the latest Pokemon X/Y update from the e-shop before 9.3 hit, you could still have been playing it online on your 9.2 EmuNAND while you were waiting for 2.7 to come out. If not, you could still have installed the update from a CIA.

One thing to be aware of that many people seem to overlook is the existence of a tool called EmuNANDTool. With this, you can backup the EmuNAND partition, and use said backups to revert to previous firmwares whenever you want. Why people continue to update without doing this is a bit of a mystery. Make a backup before every update. Then you won't be one of these noobs that's always going, "omg, I just updated my EmuNAND and got a black screen, help" LOL.

Not that that a messed up EmuNAND is a catastrophe (half of its purpose is to serve as an expendable copy, so that you're not screwed if you brick it). You can always format EmuNAND, taking it back to 4.5. As long as your real firmware is using the same profile (though there's more drawbacks than benefits to that), you won't even lose your purchased downloads (not that lost apps are anything to sweat over, there are CIAs for just about everything, including Netflix and Youtube). Though if you're using separate profiles to keep your EmuNAND icons from showing up in SysNAND (to do this, remove the SD card and format system memory while in normal firmware, note that this will destroy all personal information and settings, and you'll lose any non-built-in apps you had in 4.5, you're basically wiping it clean and starting over as a new user, but it's not like anyone uses real firmware mode for much anyway, you go online, it's going to ask you to update after all), that means your EmuNAND profile is unique now, and formatting will kill it. So, how do you keep your original profile after doing this? Easy. Just use EmuNANDTool to restore your original NAND dump to your EmuNAND whenever you need to reset it, instead of formatting (the Gateway software has an option to create a NAND dump as a safety precaution, creating one and backing it up to your PC is a heavily recommended first step, one that is shown in the video that demonstrates how to set it up at that, so, if you followed the instructions, you're in good shape). You can use a ROM to update EmuNAND if the latest FW is not currently supported (as of 2.7, it is). Smash Bros. will put you on 8.1, the newest any current game requires (just hold up on the d-pad when pressing DS Profile to enable ROM updating). You just might not be able to use all of your purchases until you can get back to 9 (especially themes). So you see, even if you're somewhat careless, it's fairly forgiving.

So if I get this right, the point of EmuNAND is to trick the system into updating into a more current version while keeping the actual firmware the system has by itself? Is that needed to play newer games at all ala PSP games requiring X.XX firmware, or just there for system update features? What if I want to play games from older firmwares? Can't they just work on the current build if Gateway works on that? Is this really an issue if I presently have 9.2?

I'd like to get an idea as I'm probably going to buy one this week, and I'd like to have some picture on what I should be informed about. I know to update the card, use DevMenu or BigBlueBox to install CIA files, and have something in the works for EmuNAND requiring future updates to the system. Is that really it?

Jasin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I get this right, the point of EmuNAND is to trick the system into updating into a more current version while keeping the actual firmware the system has by itself? Is that needed to play newer games at all ala PSP games requiring X.XX firmware, or just there for system update features? What if I want to play games from older firmwares? Can't they just work on the current build if Gateway works on that? Is this really an issue if I presently have 9.2??

You don't need an older firmware. Your newer firmware can play all older games.

The reason for this is gateway doesn't work on 9.3+ So if a game comes out and requires 9.3 or 9.4 you can use EmuNAND to play that game in 9.4 while keeping your sysNAND on 9.2 so gateway still works.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need an older firmware. Your newer firmware can play all older games.

The reason for this is gateway doesn't work on 9.3+ So if a game comes out and requires 9.3 or 9.4 you can use EmuNAND to play that game in 9.4 while keeping your sysNAND on 9.2 so gateway still works.

Okay, so it's like the PSP example I was trying to convey. You use "spoofed" firmware to get more recent games. Got it.

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question:

My friend's 3DS XL Gateway (2.3b IIRC) setup needs updating. Her sysNAND and emuNAND are both on firmware 4.5, but "GW3D" doesn't show up when she enters System Settings from emuNAND.

Other than that, everything seems to work fine... Was the "GW3D" tag not added until after Gateway 2.3b?

I think I just need to update her launcher.dat and then update her emuNAND via a Smash Bros. ROM, but I figure I should make sure first. Wouldn't want to accidentally update sysNAND past 4.5!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sonic Angel Knight, Is that SAK I see. :ninja:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What a weird game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah I wanted to see shards of the titanic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I kept thinking jaws was gonna come up and attack
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Jaws is on a diet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn power went out
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok xdqwerty, your little bro prob tripped On the cord and unplugged you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ya I'm afraid of the dark hug me
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Grab and hold close your AncientBoi doll.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn didn't charge my external battery either
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Take the batteries out of your SuperStabber3000... Or is it gas powered?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I stole batteries from your black mamba
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My frozen food better hold up for an hour I know that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or else gonna be a big lunch and dinner tomorrow.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you pay your power bill? Or give all yo money to my wife, again.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good the estimated time is the same exact time they just said
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Load up your pc and monitor, and head to a McDonalds dining room, they have free WiFi
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sir please watch your porn in the bathroom
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No sir we can not sell you anymore apple pies, after what you did with the last one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We ran out
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    for your life
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My life has no value my fat ass is staying right here
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My life has no value my fat ass is staying right here