shim80

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,
Since dev mode allow to install uwp softwares on the Xbox Serie X/S, is there a way to compile the Linux subsystem for Windows and install it on XBSX ?

shim80

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Afaik, there's no Linux loader for Xbone.
I know that, I just ask if it's theoretically possible.
The hardware is very close to PC, and the software is not that far from Windows 10.
The fact that everyone can compile and install uwp using dev mode could open a way for a Linux entry point

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I know that there is a POC kernel exploit for the Xbone.
But installing Linux in Devmode is like installing Linux on OtherOS (PS3) it's sandboxed.
For the juicy bits, you got to escape said sandbox.

Theoretically it's possible yep, practical... not so much.
Otherwise we'd have it almost day 1.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Linux running on that thing.
Wouldn't be terribly hard since there isn't to much custom hardware in the console.

Edit: should be the same for the Series X

Reactions: Torus

shim80

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, the Xbone's hardware is pretty weak today (I have Linux on PS4, and the performance is very close to R9 260... Xbone have almost same hardware).
XBSX is more interesting because of his 8C/16T Ryzen APU (AMD 4800U like) and RDNA2 GPU (52 CU, so it's more like RX 6700/XT equivalent).
If we could install Linux on it, it's could be a pretty good PC for 499$

Bl4aze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the Xbone's hardware is pretty weak today (I have Linux on PS4, and the performance is very close to R9 260... Xbone have almost same hardware).
XBSX is more interesting because of his 8C/16T Ryzen APU (AMD 4800U like) and RDNA2 GPU (52 CU, so it's more like RX 6700/XT equivalent).
If we could install Linux on it, it's could be a pretty good PC for 499$

If we did install Linux on a xbox it then opens the gate to installing windows. For gaming however issues start due to lack of drivers. Unless AMD for some reason has drivers for the console GPU and CPU. in which case would probably be development drivers that would have issues or they would be locked behind AMD gates.

Although groups of people have come along and made drivers themselves (Nvidia's mining gpu for like 50 bucks that's legit a 1060) so I assume if we could find a exploit inside of the xbone/series consoles it could do that. But first we have to find a exploit. Thats gonna take a while and there isn't a guarantee that it will be around for long due to patches. Unless ofc its hardware-based.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-vTRfE_x0