OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I just installed Xubuntu on a Dell PII laptop. The install went well, but...
.. and here's where I expose my Linux ignorance to the world...

I've got a PCMCIA 56k modem I wanna use with it, a Zonex ZFM5600CF to be precise. It was listed as linux compatible, but I've no clue how to set it up in this thing. I've got my number and password in to the Network configuration dialog, but I don't even know how to dial this thing to connect. There were only windows drivers on the install disc, do I even need drivers for this modem? I've scouted around the Ubuntu site, but I've got the kids this week and can only study this in a piecemeal manner.

Anybody wanna throw a clue my way, and narrow my research a bit? I'll check back, but right now the pressing issue for me is that Flash won't fit into Green Lantern's force shield... (oh noes!)

edit: I think I've got the force shield thing figured out, but still having problems with the modem.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hang on..... 56k?
ohmy.gif

mthrnite

So it goes.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, 56k.. for the little old lady across the street. Fast things scare her.

I think how slow and inefficient 56k is will scare her more
wtf.gif
Well, configuring a 56k PCMCIA modem is scaring the hell outta me... but give the customer what they want. Dial-up is cheaper and she's just interested in email, not really surfing. I wanted to install windows 98.. but she doesn't want to pay for that either, thus linux. urg.

inovermyheadd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Give up on the 56k modem my friend. I tackled that bitch for many hours last year with Ubuntu. If you absolutely need to use a modem, fork out the money for a external serial modem. Those will work provided you have a serial port. Linux doesn't like the "soft" modems that are provided with most windows laptops.

gryto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Show us the place where it was listed as linux compatible.
Generally, hardware modems are easier to set up than software modems (as the above poster said). It would just be plug, select serial port perhaps, and dial.

mthrnite

So it goes.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
This is it:
Zonet PCMCIA 56k Modem
Also on the page is says 100% hardware modem.
I've had the kids all week, but dropped them off with their mom (my babies' momma) today, so tomorrow.. STUDYSTUDYSTUDY!
I've dabbled in Linux before, but I'm honestly a noooooob, so I may be making a stupic miskate somewere.
..or PCMCIA is a biatch.

I'll have some more pointy questions tomorrow when I sit down with it again.
Thanks for the replies amigos!

gryto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yes, I'd also recommend the forums there.
I don't have no experience with PCMCIA modems, but with a modem which plugs into the serial port, you just point the dialer to /dev/ttyS0 (or similar). I'm guessing this'll be different with PCMCIA. I'm not running (x)ubuntu atm, so I can't check this, but there may be a symlink /dev/modem which you could try using.
(What have you done thus far, have you tried a dialer yet?)
Ah, I just read you used the Network configuration dialog. When I used dialup I used a dialer like wvdial, gnome-ppp(which uses wvdial) or kppp to dial, I haven't used that dialog before, so again, the ubuntu forums would certainly be of more help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn