Hacking Likelihood of firmware 4.5 when ordering from Amazon?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I'm wondering if anyone else here has bought their 3DS XL off of Amazon and what firmware version it came with. Specifically, I bought the Blue/Black 3DS XL here:

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-XL-Blue-Black/dp/B008GEH9HO/

Most people suggest that any system copyrighted for 2012 will have 4.5 or earlier, and Amazon is kind enough to label their products for when they were produced (Aug 19, 2012 for this). However, WikiTemp specifically states that this is no guarantee.

I know that this is a very targeted question and most people won't have an answer, but I'm just looking for any assurance I can get since I received a 3DS XL for Christmas and already had to return it once to order this new one off of Amazon in the hopes of getting it up and running with the Gateway card. Which I also already ordered.

Thanks. :)

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
that is just the release date of the blue/black xl not the ones they are selling now
Ahh. Extra risky then. Well, here's hoping. At least I ordered one of the two colors possibly manufactured with the older firmware instead of going into it blind and ordering the black/black or something. Thanks for the quick reply.

It is from a reseller, just Amazon-fulfilled, and it said there were only 5 left in stock from that reseller, so hopefully that betters my chances.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Follow-up question then: does anybody know of an online retailer which would list the information for each unit specifically? IE give you the copyright date or serial number so that you could determine the FW version? I could still cancel my order with Amazon, but it would only be worth doing if there was another place I could get a guarantee on that sort of thing. If it's a gamble either way, then gamble I shall.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Follow-up question then: does anybody know of an online retailer which would list the information for each unit specifically? IE give you the copyright date or serial number so that you could determine the FW version? I could still cancel my order with Amazon, but it would only be worth doing if there was another place I could get a guarantee on that sort of thing. If it's a gamble either way, then gamble I shall.
Don't you have a walmart by where you live? I was in walmart the other day and bought one, and got to examine the package first. Besides, walmart gives you a $50 giftcard if you buy a 3DS XL in the next few days.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Don't you have a walmart by where you live? I was in walmart the other day and bought one, and got to examine the package first. Besides, walmart gives you a $50 giftcard if you buy a 3DS XL in the next few days.
That's actually where the 3DS XL I got for Christmas came from, but all the ones near me completely sold out for the holiday, so any models they receive from here on out are likely to be 2013.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had to drive to the next town over from me, they had at lest 2 dozen in stock (red, blue, and pink models), and that was about 4 hours ago.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I had to drive to the next town over from me, they had at lest 2 dozen in stock (red, blue, and pink models), and that was about 4 hours ago.
Gotcha. Well, maybe I'll go and check the ones a little further away from me tonight. No harm in looking, and if I can find that guarantee, better to do it that way and just cancel my Amazon order. Thanks for the replies guys.

redkeyboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amazon is usually really good with returns. They'll generally pay for your return label too. I'd keep the amazon order just in case, it only takes 2 business days for you to find out anyway.

mznova

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best way is to ask an ebay seller as others have mentioned. You can pay a little more and find a person who has a buy now option so you don't waste your time waiting for them to reply, only to have the bid end before they reply.

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was looking for a 3ds xl with 4.5 the other day and I checked Kmart and they had a case full of them in the red and the blue. Probably about 10 of them total with serial numbers that were definitely below 4.5. Everyone in my town goes to walmart, bestbuy, or gamestop for their gaming needs. Good luck finding one.

Gerbilly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Definitely check the less popular stores with stock. They are more likely to have older units. Sometimes you can also check the display unit. Occasionally they will sit in the cabinet for years with an earlier firmware on them. I bought a 4.4 firmware xl from K-Mart a little while back.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol