OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Does it exist? What do you believe?

I've always wondered what you would experience the very moment your life ends.
Does everything go black and stay that way?
Do you close your eyes and open them as a newborn?

Since I was a kid, I always thought that once you died, you would wake up in the heavens (all sunny and bright puffy clouds) and continue interacting with those who have also passed on. I now realize this probably won't happen.

What do you all think?
Obviously there's no way to prove anything, but share, share!

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
I think me and my buddies will be fist pumping to "Libera Me From Hell" screaming "ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWUH!" With Kamina, Light, Martin Luther King Jr., Walt Disney, and Richerd Nixon while driving a Jeep over a space moon

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one knows. No point worrying about it until it happens. If there is, and you're penalized for it by some randomass god...well that god really isn't benevolent about it~

Me, I say no. Death is just death. All things that start, have an end.

D

Deleted-236924

The human mind cannot possibly imagine what it would be like to be dead.
It cannot possibly just be black, since you cannot see.
But if you cannot see black, then what does it look like?
But it cannot look like anything, since you cannot see.
And it cannot feel like anything, since all of your senses are dead.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I read this on a bunch of news sites: Apparently somebody did a study on the experiences of (really close to) dead people who managed to be brought back to life. They put a photo in a room in a place only visible from the ceiling, and left a (practically) dead guy in the same room (but on a bed on the floor). After about half an hour, they successfully manage to bring him back to life. He said he had consciousness the whole time he was "dead" (even though his brain wasn't functioning the whole time). He apparently saw the photo, even though it was impossible to see it from where he was. IIRC the article said he described the photo and they confirmed that he saw it when they brought it down.

If this is true, then it's pretty much proof that you leave your body in some form when you die (and that you come back in if you get resuscitated). I just thought this was interesting.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My religion has taught me that there is life after death, and I can (fortunately) not see it any other way. I don't think I can handle the fact that there isn't life after death.

It just makes me feel dizzy and sick. But... I'm still a kid. I wonder about when I get older.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
I read this on a bunch of news sites: Apparently somebody did a study on the experiences of (really close to) dead people who managed to be brought back to life. They put a photo in a room in a place only visible from the ceiling, and left a (practically) dead guy in the same room (but on a bed on the floor). After about half an hour, they successfully manage to bring him back to life. He said he had consciousness the whole time he was "dead" (even though his brain wasn't functioning the whole time). He apparently saw the photo, even though it was impossible to see it from where he was. IIRC the article said he described the photo and they confirmed that he saw it when they brought it down.

If this is true, then it's pretty much proof that you leave your body in some form when you die (and that you come back in if you get resuscitated). I just thought this was interesting.

Wait, what? That is crazy. You have a link, perchance?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I philosophize that when you die, you do not continue to live. At least not in the way that is deemed by Humans. It is my belief that when you leave your body past the point of no return, you ascend. Which in my definition means you achieve a higher state of mind and deposition. No human emotions, and you keep intelligence and knowledge that you left with. You exist, but not live. You perceive without the bias of human emotions and continue on. It is my belief that there is no punishment after death that lingers upon human law. What you did on Earth, stays on Earth.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Schlupi said:
YayMii said:

Wait, what? That is crazy. You have a link, perchance?
I'm trying to find it (it's been a while since I read this), but all I've found is an MSNBC article stating that doctors were going to attempt trying something like this.

However, the article I just linked to has something about a guy who died instantly in a car crash, only to wake up 90 minutes later, to sing along with a priest a religious song he never heard before. He wrote a book about 'going to heaven' for 1 1/2 hours, and the book has hit the NY Times Bestsellers list.

celeron53

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:

What if your eyes were closed?? Pretty much fucked, no??

junkerde

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you never sensed anything befor you were born, so after your gone there will just be nothing, but its good because you wont feel it or sense it. there will be no sense of time cuz you dont exist. its just like before you were born there was nothing you felt, no time in your thoughts. thats how its gonna be. i want to believe in a heaven...

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
As a complete skeptic I view the consciousness as the result of the complex activities within the brain, in the same way in which for example a character moving on your PC screen is the result of moving electrons inside a machinery.

I believe this consciousness ends once the brain has ceased to function. Existence being a subjective experience, this cessation will result in neither pain, sadness, loneliness nor frustration, although for the duration of being alive, the thought and knowledge of this inevitability can cause some frustration due to conflicting with our most basic survival instinct.

Since time is not experienced during "death" it might be possible to experience a "life" after death should, for example, matter someday in another universe reach the identical configuration of my brain, basically infinite monkey theorem because once you're dead trillions of years can pass by you without you noticing until someday somewhere, eventually, another clone of you appears. However improbable it sounds, since time might be infinite and worlds many, this possibility exists. Also consciousness is bound to the system, not the atoms which made it up, just like you can store and run the same information in different types of electronics.

However, even supposing that death is final and nothing of any sort has any continuation, is it really such a tragedy? Even in reincarnation hypotheses it's assumed that the person reborn retains no memory of their past. How is that any different than having been completly obliterated and replaced by another? It's as if the soul is the harddrive and every new death you do a format. If nothing is retained even then, how's that any different from just throwing away the old drive and buying a new one? I believe rationally there really isn't a problem with final death, although instinct-wise I am sure we all wish we could continue forever. In fact I think that desire is the only reason life after death was invented.

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Schlupi said:
I think me and my buddies will be fist pumping to "Libera Me From Hell" screaming "ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWUH!" With Kamina, Light, Martin Luther King Jr., Walt Disney, and Richerd Nixon while driving a Jeep over a space moon

"Libera Me From Hell" FTW.
that and i only care for one thing when i am dying...
drink spiritus.
and go out with a booze
and if there is life after death.
i'll be pretty damn sure it can be found

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
YayMii said:

I once had a pretty similar experience (or at least I think it was). I have lost consciousness while collapsing (circulatory issues - I hope you get what I mean) and, well, pretty much "falling on my nose" (fell straight forward on the ground) and while I was lying there, I saw and heard everything that happened, including me, lying on the ground. I kinda saw me from above (hell, I even remember one of my classmates asking "is he dead?"). After a few seconds I literally "came back to myself" and woke up.
That was a very strange feeling (and kinda scary).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/xeWd4a5RYJ8?si=URwg3PNBQa5zPuXt that birthday cake look jumpin