Homebrew Homebrew game Libnds compiler cannot find include path with Visual Studio Code environment

Vulf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently migrated a project to Visual Studio Code for ease of use (syntax highlighting, autofill, etc.) which worked fine at first, until I had to include a class header in a different class. For whatever reason in that setup specifically the project will not compile. Including the header in main.cpp has no issues. Visual Studio Code error checking does not see the path as incorrect, and the includes of the VS Code project should be used during compilation so I'm not sure what the issue would be. Does anybody know if there's some kind of quirk with the libnds compiler that would cause behavior like this? Or is my Makefile set up incorrectly to include things?

If anybody wants to take a look at my project it can be found here, if you want to try compiling it be sure to change the settings to fit your environment

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure to install the C/C++ extension, then this is what I use for its config:
JSON:
    "C_Cpp.default.includePath": [
        "${workspaceFolder}/**",
        "/opt/devkitpro/libnds/include/**",
        "/opt/devkitpro/libctru/include/**",
        "/opt/devkitpro/devkitARM/include/**",
        "/opt/devkitpro/devkitARM/arm-none-eabi/include/**"
    ],
    "C_Cpp.default.defines": [
        "ARM9"
    ],
    "C_Cpp.default.compilerPath": "/opt/devkitpro/devkitARM/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc",
    "C_Cpp.default.intelliSenseMode": "macos-gcc-x64",

On Windows you'll probably want something more like:
JSON:
    "C_Cpp.default.includePath": [
        "${workspaceFolder}\\**",
        "C:\\devkitPro\\libnds\\include\\**",
        "C:\\devkitPro\\libctru\\include\\**",
        "C:\\devkitPro\\devkitARM\\include\\**",
        "C:\\devkitPro\\devkitARM\\arm-none-eabi\\include\\**"
    ],
    "C_Cpp.default.defines": [
        "ARM9"
    ],
    "C_Cpp.default.compilerPath": "C:\\devkitPro\\devkitARM\\bin\\arm-none-eabi-gcc",
    "C_Cpp.default.intelliSenseMode": "windows-gcc-x64",

If you open VS Code settings (command/ctrl + comma) then click the View attachment 317212 button in the top right it'll open the settings as JSON and you can paste in what I put above, and edit as needed.

Notes:
  • The libctru line isn't needed for DS development, it's for 3DS, but I do 3DS sometimes too and figure others might as well so I left it in
  • The ARM9 define helps some libnds headers be recognized correctly as they lock their content between ARM9 and ARM7 defines. The vast majority of DS code is for ARM9 so I just leave it as that typically, but if you find yourself writing ARM7 code you may want to switch it to ARM7
  • Honestly not sure what the C_Cpp.default.intelliSenseMode does, I just set it to the one that makes sense for my OS, might make more sense to use linux arm or so idk
This was posted in a similar thread. I might as well bring it here

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.