LG injunction lifted; PS3's set free

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maedhros
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 2,044
  • Replies Replies 15

Maedhros

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2008
Messages
897
Reaction score
4
Trophies
1
Age
38
XP
161
Country
Brazil
QUOTE said:
Sony appealed the customs blockade, and the court has now lifted the injunction with no more seizures to be applied. LG has also been ordered to pay Sony’s €130,000 in legal fees with an additional €200,000 to be added for each day it fails to pony up the dough.

FOSS Patents owner Florian Mueller said: “If this is true, it is only related to the prejudgment seizure order. This means Sony can resume the distribution of PlayStations across Europe for now, but there will be a full-fledged legal proceeding to determine whether there is an infringement – and if so, how much Sony owes LG for it.”

Last week, LG won an injunction under EU law blocking the import of PS3 units for ten days, as part of the electronics manufacturer’s claim to the BluRay patent, thus stranding hundreds of thousands of consoles in harbors such as Rotterdam and Schiphol.

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/10/court-lift...-ps3s-set-free/

----
Karma...
 
Thank God this is over. I was worried I wouldn't be able to buy my PS3 with all of this going on (I don't live in Europe, but it could have been a problem for me).
 
Most that will come out of the Patent suit is a serious case of Royalties. I was really surprised by the customs block etc. tbh when I head the nature of the case.
 
Yes, it isn't over. The article still says that the legal proceedings will still be going on. However, I'm not sure why the 130,000 euros goes up by 200 k more if they fail to pay up (I'm not even sure why they have to pay anything).
 
Argentum Vir said:
Yes, it isn't over. The article still says that the legal proceedings will still be going on. However, I'm not sure why the 130,000 euros goes up by 200 k more if they fail to pay up (I'm not even sure why they have to pay anything).
Sony lost out in money AND they had to pay to appeal the injunction.
 
Jamstruth said:
Argentum Vir said:
Yes, it isn't over. The article still says that the legal proceedings will still be going on. However, I'm not sure why the 130,000 euros goes up by 200 k more if they fail to pay up (I'm not even sure why they have to pay anything).
Sony lost out in money AND they had to pay to appeal the injunction.
So is that a problem? The case was valid enough for customs to seize all PS3s for (10 day period?). They expended money so they could get the injunction released. To top it all off, the proceedings are still going on, so it also proves that the case still has validity. If the case is still valid, why does LG have to pay before the case is done. The article says nothing about out of court settlements sooo... Honestly, if the legal system everywhere is just as messed up as the US, then I'm not sure what to think.
 
Wait, am I understanding this right; the European courts banned PS3s from being sold in Europe temporarily, something that isn't done lightly, and wouldn't have happened if LG didn't make a good casel; then Sony repeals it, and LG owes SONY for something the Europeans agreed on? What?
 
geminisama said:
Wait, am I understanding this right; the European courts banned PS3s from being sold in Europe temporarily, something that isn't done lightly, and wouldn't have happened if LG didn't make a good casel; then Sony repeals it, and LG owes SONY for something the Europeans agreed on? What?
That's what I was thinking. Is this a common occurrence or something?
 
geminisama said:
Wait, am I understanding this right; the European courts banned PS3s from being sold in Europe temporarily, something that isn't done lightly, and wouldn't have happened if LG didn't make a good casel; then Sony repeals it, and LG owes SONY for something the Europeans agreed on? What?

LG wanted the injunction, LG pays the price.

And they didn't ban them from being sold, they just temporarily stopped them from being imported.
 
Well lets hope sony loses the main case. LG could then say stop using our tech and that would be it for the ps3 unless they make the ps3.5.
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted