LG injunction lifted; PS3's set free

Maedhros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
QUOTE said:
Sony appealed the customs blockade, and the court has now lifted the injunction with no more seizures to be applied. LG has also been ordered to pay Sony’s €130,000 in legal fees with an additional €200,000 to be added for each day it fails to pony up the dough.

FOSS Patents owner Florian Mueller said: “If this is true, it is only related to the prejudgment seizure order. This means Sony can resume the distribution of PlayStations across Europe for now, but there will be a full-fledged legal proceeding to determine whether there is an infringement – and if so, how much Sony owes LG for it.”

Last week, LG won an injunction under EU law blocking the import of PS3 units for ten days, as part of the electronics manufacturer’s claim to the BluRay patent, thus stranding hundreds of thousands of consoles in harbors such as Rotterdam and Schiphol.

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/10/court-lift...-ps3s-set-free/

----
Karma...

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank God this is over. I was worried I wouldn't be able to buy my PS3 with all of this going on (I don't live in Europe, but it could have been a problem for me).

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Most that will come out of the Patent suit is a serious case of Royalties. I was really surprised by the customs block etc. tbh when I head the nature of the case.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it isn't over. The article still says that the legal proceedings will still be going on. However, I'm not sure why the 130,000 euros goes up by 200 k more if they fail to pay up (I'm not even sure why they have to pay anything).

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentum Vir said:
Yes, it isn't over. The article still says that the legal proceedings will still be going on. However, I'm not sure why the 130,000 euros goes up by 200 k more if they fail to pay up (I'm not even sure why they have to pay anything).
Sony lost out in money AND they had to pay to appeal the injunction.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Argentum Vir said:
Sony lost out in money AND they had to pay to appeal the injunction.
So is that a problem? The case was valid enough for customs to seize all PS3s for (10 day period?). They expended money so they could get the injunction released. To top it all off, the proceedings are still going on, so it also proves that the case still has validity. If the case is still valid, why does LG have to pay before the case is done. The article says nothing about out of court settlements sooo... Honestly, if the legal system everywhere is just as messed up as the US, then I'm not sure what to think.

geminisama

Metsu
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Wait, am I understanding this right; the European courts banned PS3s from being sold in Europe temporarily, something that isn't done lightly, and wouldn't have happened if LG didn't make a good casel; then Sony repeals it, and LG owes SONY for something the Europeans agreed on? What?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
geminisama said:
Wait, am I understanding this right; the European courts banned PS3s from being sold in Europe temporarily, something that isn't done lightly, and wouldn't have happened if LG didn't make a good casel; then Sony repeals it, and LG owes SONY for something the Europeans agreed on? What?
That's what I was thinking. Is this a common occurrence or something?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
geminisama said:

LG wanted the injunction, LG pays the price.

And they didn't ban them from being sold, they just temporarily stopped them from being imported.

Tai Le Ree

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well lets hope sony loses the main case. LG could then say stop using our tech and that would be it for the ps3 unless they make the ps3.5.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.