Let's give them some incentive ...

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Ninja_Carver, May 6, 2013.

1. Ninja_Carver
    OP

Ninja_Carver GBAtemp Fan

Dec 27, 2012
    United States
    Hi all. I've been trolling the boards for some time now, and have been following the WiiU exploit release rather fanatically. I've read (and can even understand) that marcan and co. are too "unmotivated" to continue their work in releasing a publicly available method to allow homebrew on the WiiU console.

Now before I proceed with what I have to say. I must acknowledge the following items:
    • I realize that you have no reason to trust me
    • There is likely a far better suited candidate to oversee this effort
    With that said, I was exploring the options of starting a fundraiser, which would ultimately be awarded to the individual(s) or group who is able to release a working exploit.
    Ideally, I think someone reputable on these forums would be the best candidate to handle donations, etc.
    I set up a dummy site here: http://gogetfunding.com/project/wiiu-homebrew-project
    Yes, gogetfunding skims some off the top (4%)
    Yes, Paypal does too (%?)
    I would happily relinquish control of it to whomever is deemed appropriate to take over this initiative, and would even kick it off with a $50 donation.
    So, GBATemp community, I ask you, who would be your appointee? If we can get enough votes on one person, then next step would be to see if they have the availability to handle this task.
    I think if we accumulate enough donations, it may drive the powers that be to see the homebrew task through to completion.
    If you feel this is a derpy derp idea, then my apologies. I hadn't seen this proposed yet and figured I'd come out of the shadows and suggest it.
    Best Regards

2. GregoryRasputin

GregoryRasputin The PS3 Scenes Most Hated Person

Banned
    Dec 12, 2012
    http://playstationhax.it/
    I could be wrong, but i don't think they will go along with this, from what i know of the team, they do not take donations, they do the hacking for fun and experience.

In fact this could demotivate them more.

EDIT:
    Also not to be a dick, but i felt i must mention that the OP is very inactive and only has two posts, why should anyone trust him ?

3. Ninja_Carver
    OP

Ninja_Carver GBAtemp Fan

Dec 27, 2012
    United States
    Hey. Your response casts some doubt as to whether you read my entire post (I know it was long). I don't expect you, or anyone for that matter, to trust me. Is there anyone on this board you'd trust with that responsibility?

Also I feel like some folks here think they know everything about marcan & co. You can't tell me that money won't be an incentive for them to release, or for a different party to develop this instead. In any case it was just a thought.

4. comex

comex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2007
    United States
    fail0verflow and friends are unlikely to be motivated by small amounts of money. No idea whether someone else would be :)

p.s. the only reason I'm spending time on gbatemp is to cause drama

5. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    Yeah, I think those who usually do things for free and don't even have donation buttons up on their sites would kinda feel the offer of money to continue working a little insulting. They might feel that they're being bribed or something.

(I could be completely wrong, though)

EDIT : I may have spoke too soon. I just realized that BootMii does have a donation link. http://bootmii.org/donate/
    as does the homebrew channel
    http://hbc.hackmii.com/
    so although I'm not sure they would necessarily interpret a sudden influx of donations as financial pressure, there would at least be a place to put those donations.

6. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    Ohhh, N/A now, they gave a nice piece of the pie to the willing;-)

7. FearItSelf23

FearItSelf23 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    United States
    Donate money to me and I promise to update you on my progress on hacking the Wii U. Every update will be the same and I won't get anywhere but if you want to throw money around needlessly and worthlessly I'll accept.

8. mechadylan

mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    Hmmm, so perhaps there IS a price. Define: large amounts of money?

Also, I nominate the_randomizer to handle all donations.

9. GregoryRasputin

Banned
    Dec 12, 2012
    Drama is fun....

10. Ninja_Carver
    OP

Ninja_Carver GBAtemp Fan

Dec 27, 2012
    United States
    Regardless of whether or not the 'devs' choose to do this for free, I still think their hard, time consuming work is well deserving of a token of the community's appreciation. Also I don't think that funneling money to someone with the "promise" of working on this project is a good idea. In a perfect world, I'd want to see a respectable, well renowned member of the community taking charge of, and handling the incoming donations. Once it is deemed that a working product has been created, then the person(s) would receive the donations.

With all of this information being released by f0f, its clear that they don't have the motivation to push forward unless the community shows sufficient interest. So let's show them our interest. An important lesson I've learned in life is... "Money talks, bullshit walks". And heck, if they don't want the donations, we can donate it to a charity (lulz). Or maybe even re-invest it in GBAtemp?

Even if we could come up with $500, which should not be tough at all, I'm sure that would make someone a happy person.

@the_randomizer - You interested in taking charge of this?

11. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    the_randomizer is a wildcard and has mood swings all over the place. I would not put him in charge of anything like this.

Maxternal and ddrrmm like this.
  12. rizzod

rizzod Not a New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    GREG! Finally on temp!
    - (@DashhacksDan)

13. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    500eur was enough to motivate Crediar to make some relatively minor additions to his already mostly-complete software. I think you'd need a tad more than that to convince someone to dedicate a solid number of months to putting this together.

14. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    This
    This could take months?

15. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    Just look at 3dbrew, how long it's taking them.

16. GregoryRasputin

Banned
    Dec 12, 2012
    Like i said, i could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, and wont be the last time.
    I'm from the PS3 Scene, so most of anything i know lies there, i do know much about f0f in the Wii/WiiU hacking side of things, so I'm making assumptions of what i think would or wouldn't be an incentive without actually knowing 100%, one of my biggest faults is typing/posting without thinking through properly, what im going to actually publish.

I cant remember why i joined, i think it was around the time i created my website.

17. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    Good, get people on what Marcan released for Wii U, lol.

18. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    Those hackers hack for fun, they don't even play the games. Sure some of us want piracy, but there are many other reasons for homebrew.

1) Out of region games.
    2) Legitimate backups
    3) Convenience
    4) Portability
    5) Backing up saves
    6) Transferring saves
    6) Game modding
    7) Offline Game Cheating
    8) Saving the laser
    9) Broken drives
    10) Access speeds

and it goes on.

It's obvious they don't play games. They aren't worried about something happening to their 60h game save. What about the guy who keeps getting his Mario saves deletec by his children? Nintendo has no solution to that, but homebrew could fix it. They aren't worried about being able to play on another console. If I go on vacation, I have to bring the whole Wii U with me? What good is a vacation when you finally have time to play games, if you can't bring your game saves and console with you? If you are going somewhere that already has a Wii U, you shouldn't have to bring your own, but Nintendo makes you, if you want to use your game saves. Do you know what happens if I lose a game save? I never play that game again because I don't want to start over. It's not fair. If somebody's Wii U gets stolen, they are going to lose every single game save. OUCH!!

And game cheating can be fun. It can make a game easier, or it can make a game more difficult, or it can just make the game different. Maybe you got bored with the uncheating version, but cheats and mods will make it interesting again.

Do you know what I want most? I want a fan-made mod of NSMBU to replicate Super Mario World the best they can. Or if they can't do that, at least some kind of mod. People do this for the Wii, it will only be possible for the Wii U when it gets modded.

If they don't want to do the actual coding, fine don't. Just give out the exploit and someone else will write it. They got their fun part, shouldn't the rest of us get our fun part?[/quote]

19. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    [/quote]
    They did give exploit, reading is good.

20. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    They did give exploit, reading is good.[/quote]

No they didn't. They have their Wii-Mode exploit, they didn't give the WiiU-Mode one.