Less Battery Life with A9LH

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by skydancer93, Jun 22, 2016.

1. skydancer93
    OP

skydancer93 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    United States
    I recently switched from Gateway to A9LH Luma. I noticed however that my battery life since then has been a LOT shorter to the point that it's been dying in sleep mode by the end of the day whereas before, I never had that problem and it could be on sleep mode for a couple days.

Is there a direct link between A9LH and reduced battery life?

2. Hking0036

Hking0036 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    A9LH should not impact battery life and in fact if you were using emunand before should use less because it doesnt read your emunand on the SD card all the time (how significant this is I don't know). It could potentially be a battery issue, but I can't really say.

3. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    A9LH *SysNAND* do not affect battery in any way, and uses even less battery than emuNAND.
    Sounds like your battery is dying, you should get a new one.

EDIT: Also, if you're on N3DS, enabling 804MHz + L2 uses more battery than normal use, but it shouldn't be that significant.

Last edited by TheKawaiiDesu, Jun 22, 2016
  4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    A9LH does not effect your battery life. If you are using a flashcart like the Supercard DSTwo, that does.
    Either way, if you can, test out another battery and make sure your battery isn't faulty.

5. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    I think one of the unintended consequences of using N3DS overclock speeds is that it stays at these clock speeds even in sleep mode, where traditionally the system's frequency scaling would kick in and dial it back to minimal levels. I could be wrong, and I really don't care to test since I don't use this feature anyway.

Your best bet would be to disable the N3DS overclock/cache feature. It will still use them for N3DS games that actually call for them, behaving the way an N3DS should by default.

TheShadowRunner likes this.
  6. Baallrog

Baallrog Member

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2016
    France
    Since I have installed A9LH + Luma3ds, it seems like the battery my N3DS is shorter.
    In addition, the battery indicator is not accurate, it could show 3 bars and at the end of the day (the consolo is in sleep mode all the time) the led are flashing red ...
    My N3DS is always in sleep mode. Even if I play a game, at the end I just close the console.

Maybe I should test in sleep mode on the home screen.

I have not activated the overclock features.

7. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Also, on top of all the objective factors (emunand, overclock) already mentioned, maybe now you're enjoying (and using) your console more than you did before? :)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It certainly is misleading from what the icon says, it certainly doesn't go in 25% steps! But this is no different from a unhacked console...

8. tjhooker73

tjhooker73 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    Probably killed your battery by not turning it off. And getting less battery then with gateway should be impossible :P at least when the gw card is in

9. Ugothacked

Ugothacked GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2009
    United States
    A new battery will cost you 5 bucks on ebay!

10. SonicCloud

SonicCloud a crybaby <3.

Mar 29, 2016
    Mexico
    Somewhere
    Isn't supposed if you don't use a emuNAND you'll get 1 hour extra of battery life?

duyluan and Februarysn0w like this.
  11. WiiHoney

WiiHoney GBAtemp Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    United States
    I do agree that installing A9LH does infact consume more battery power.

Original sysNAND can maintain my battery for few days on standby.
    Installing A9LH make battery last 24-48 hrs
    I reinstall back NANd.bin without A9LH and my battery is back to holding charge for few days.

Nothing has been different that what i usually do.

skydancer93 likes this.
  12. skydancer93
    OP

skydancer93 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    United States
    Yep. Exactly!

13. RacsoSakuraba

RacsoSakuraba GBAtemp Regular

Mar 13, 2016
    Venezuela
    I have O3DS with A9LH and my battery to lasted more and he has three years, the baterry with emunand is very short, three hours with all the minimum, with A9LH this as the original system (5h or 6h).

Sure you are not using overclock to the maximum or the developer version of CFW?, A9LH is a Sysnand with practically modified boot, nothing more. Because I do not think that patches for protection of native firm and signatures reduce the life battery.

PD: Try using the new payload of AuroraWright with "MiniCFW" and take time without SD insert, btw excuse my bad English.

Last edited by RacsoSakuraba, Jun 30, 2016
  14. Spore2

Spore2 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2016
    I've never had this issue with A9LH and I've done dozens of 3ds. In the contrary, using a flashcard like gateway is the usual culprit of shorter battery life.