Hacking Less Battery Life with A9LH

skydancer93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently switched from Gateway to A9LH Luma. I noticed however that my battery life since then has been a LOT shorter to the point that it's been dying in sleep mode by the end of the day whereas before, I never had that problem and it could be on sleep mode for a couple days.

Is there a direct link between A9LH and reduced battery life?

Hking0036

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A9LH should not impact battery life and in fact if you were using emunand before should use less because it doesnt read your emunand on the SD card all the time (how significant this is I don't know). It could potentially be a battery issue, but I can't really say.

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
A9LH *SysNAND* do not affect battery in any way, and uses even less battery than emuNAND.
Sounds like your battery is dying, you should get a new one.

EDIT: Also, if you're on N3DS, enabling 804MHz + L2 uses more battery than normal use, but it shouldn't be that significant.

Last edited by Deleted member 370671,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A9LH does not effect your battery life. If you are using a flashcart like the Supercard DSTwo, that does.
Either way, if you can, test out another battery and make sure your battery isn't faulty.

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think one of the unintended consequences of using N3DS overclock speeds is that it stays at these clock speeds even in sleep mode, where traditionally the system's frequency scaling would kick in and dial it back to minimal levels. I could be wrong, and I really don't care to test since I don't use this feature anyway.

Your best bet would be to disable the N3DS overclock/cache feature. It will still use them for N3DS games that actually call for them, behaving the way an N3DS should by default.

Reactions: TheShadowRunner

Baallrog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Since I have installed A9LH + Luma3ds, it seems like the battery my N3DS is shorter.
In addition, the battery indicator is not accurate, it could show 3 bars and at the end of the day (the consolo is in sleep mode all the time) the led are flashing red ...
My N3DS is always in sleep mode. Even if I play a game, at the end I just close the console.

Maybe I should test in sleep mode on the home screen.

I have not activated the overclock features.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Also, on top of all the objective factors (emunand, overclock) already mentioned, maybe now you're enjoying (and using) your console more than you did before? :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

In addition, the battery indicator is not accurate

It certainly is misleading from what the icon says, it certainly doesn't go in 25% steps! But this is no different from a unhacked console...

tjhooker73

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably killed your battery by not turning it off. And getting less battery then with gateway should be impossible :P at least when the gw card is in

WiiHoney

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I do agree that installing A9LH does infact consume more battery power.

Original sysNAND can maintain my battery for few days on standby.
Installing A9LH make battery last 24-48 hrs
I reinstall back NANd.bin without A9LH and my battery is back to holding charge for few days.

Nothing has been different that what i usually do.

Reactions: skydancer93

skydancer93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do agree that installing A9LH does infact consume more battery power.

Original sysNAND can maintain my battery for few days on standby.
Installing A9LH make battery last 24-48 hrs
I reinstall back NANd.bin without A9LH and my battery is back to holding charge for few days.

Nothing has been different that what i usually do.

Yep. Exactly!

RacsoSakuraba

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I have O3DS with A9LH and my battery to lasted more and he has three years, the baterry with emunand is very short, three hours with all the minimum, with A9LH this as the original system (5h or 6h).

Sure you are not using overclock to the maximum or the developer version of CFW?, A9LH is a Sysnand with practically modified boot, nothing more. Because I do not think that patches for protection of native firm and signatures reduce the life battery.

PD: Try using the new payload of AuroraWright with "MiniCFW" and take time without SD insert, btw excuse my bad English.

Last edited by RacsoSakuraba,

Spore2

Trophies
XP
Country
I've never had this issue with A9LH and I've done dozens of 3ds. In the contrary, using a flashcard like gateway is the usual culprit of shorter battery life.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0