• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Leaders blame Russia-Europe pipeline leaks on sabotage (Nord Stream)

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Every action has a reaction, and the best reactions are to do something so extreme that your enemy will think twice before messing with you again. You only need to get stung by a few wasps when messing about near it's hive to learn to not mess about with them.

Personally I am expecting some trans Atlantic internet cables to be cut now or worse in retaliation. I can't imagine any self repecting country (Russia in this case), just letting this go by without any consequences.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I can't imagine any self repecting country (Russia in this case), just letting this go by without any consequences.
And I can't imagine they're in a position to do anything about it. They're losing badly in a fight with a much smaller country/military, drawing NATO into the conflict would be game over for sure. All Russia has left to fall back on is rhetorical posturing and empty threats.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
And I can't imagine they're in a position to do anything about it. They're losing badly in a fight with a much smaller country/military, drawing NATO into the conflict would be game over for sure. All Russia has left to fall back on is rhetorical posturing and empty threats.
Don't believe everything you read in western main stream media, there's a propoganda war going on just now as well and you are only hearing a one sided slanted viewpoint. If you were to read the media from the other side you would have a different opinion. My veiw is to get your info from both sides and just sum up the facts using your own brain instead of listening to the echos of someone with a narrative to push.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Don't believe everything you read in western main stream media, there's a propoganda war going on just now as well and you are only hearing a one sided slanted viewpoint. If you were to read the media from the other side you would have a different opinion. My veiw is to get your info from both sides and just sum up the facts using your own brain instead of listening to the echos of someone with a narrative to push.
Would I really have a different viewpoint from inside of Russia though? Your average Russian recognized that the ship was sinking the moment Putin had to call for a draft. That's why almost 60 military recruitment offices have been torched since then, and flights out of the country have been booked solid.

"Western main stream media" has both regular status updates from Zelensky/Ukraine, and the satellite imagery to back them up. It doesn't get any more definitive than that.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Would I really have a different viewpoint from inside of Russia though? Your average Russian recognized that the ship was sinking the moment Putin had to call for a draft. That's why almost 60 military recruitment offices have been torched since then, and flights out of the country have been booked solid.

"Western main stream media" has both regular status updates from Zelensky/Ukraine, and the satellite imagery to back them up. It doesn't get any more definitive than that.
As I said, if you only get your news from one side of the fence, I expect you will never see the full picture of what's really going on around you.

Ask yourself who is benefitting from this war, is it the Arms companies selling weapons and munitions (paid for by the tax payer) - who has shares in those companies and is making a lot of money (lots of politicians and some rich people)? who does it benefit when USA is selling gas to Europe? There's lots of things going on behind the scenes that you and me are unaware about, but if you only ever listen to the narrative instead of trying to figure out what's really happening you'll always be in the dark.

Why is there more war footage of ww2 than what's going on in Ukraine, where's all the cameras and footage? We had loads during Bosnia/Kosovo/Gulf War, Gulf War 2, Afghanistan etc....how come Zelesnky is wandering about meeting celebrities and celebs are flying in and out of Ukraine all the time? There's lots of things that don't make any sense, so forgive me if I am a sceptical person and think there's something fishy going on here and the western MSN have been full of crap for a few years now.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
As I said, if you only get your news from one side of the fence, I expect you will never see the full picture of what's really going on around you.
It's not "one side" though, it's the entire rest of the world saying one thing, while Russia's propaganda machine says another. Sure, maybe if it was only US media making claims about who's winning and by how much, it'd be easier to sell the idea that this is all some CIA/FBI conspiracy. That's simply not the case though, any number of independent agencies have verified what's happening on the ground there.

Ask yourself who is benefitting from this war, is it the Arms companies selling weapons and munitions (paid for by the tax payer) - who has shares in those companies and is making a lot of money (lots of politicians and some rich people)?
Of course weapons manufacturers are making money off this, but that's irrelevant to the larger point that this was and still remains an imperialist invasion of Ukraine. Putin chose to step in this pile of dogshit, and every day he refuses to withdraw he's just further making his entire country roll in it. Even more ridiculous is that, in the beginning, he truly believed he was going to be the beneficiary of all of this.

who does it benefit when USA is selling gas to Europe?
Gas companies, obviously. Again, doesn't change the fact that Russia had no reason to paint a bright red target on their pipelines in the first place. Without the invasion there would be no motivation for anybody to sabotage them.

Why is there more war footage of ww2 than what's going on in Ukraine, where's all the cameras and footage?
It's pretty damn easy to find if you go looking for it on the internet. It was all over the national news in the early weeks of the invasion, though they've since turned their attention elsewhere.

how come Zelesnky is wandering about meeting celebrities and celebs are flying in and out of Ukraine all the time?
This further speaks to the fact that pretty much the entire Western half of Ukraine is now secure, in no small part thanks to all the military hardware the US has provided. Zelensky also isn't a pussy, unlike Vlad who has been hiding out in a bunker since the very beginning.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
It's not "one side" though, it's the entire rest of the world saying one thing, while Russia's propaganda machine says another. Sure, maybe if it was only US media making claims about who's winning and by how much, it'd be easier to sell the idea that this is all some CIA/FBI conspiracy. That's simply not the case though, any number of independent agencies have verified what's happening on the ground there.

Of course weapons manufacturers are making money off this, but that's irrelevant to the larger point that this was and still remains an imperialist invasion of Ukraine. Putin chose to step in this pile of dogshit, and every day he refuses to withdraw he's just further making his entire country roll in it. Even more ridiculous is that, in the beginning, he truly believed he was going to be the beneficiary of all of this.

Gas companies, obviously. Again, doesn't change the fact that Russia had no reason to paint a bright red target on their pipelines in the first place. Without the invasion there would be no motivation for anybody to sabotage them.

It's pretty damn easy to find if you go looking for it on the internet. It was all over the national news in the early weeks of the invasion, though they've since turned their attention elsewhere.

This further speaks to the fact that pretty much the entire Western half of Ukraine is now secure, in no small part thanks to all the military hardware the US has provided. Zelensky also isn't a pussy, unlike Vlad who has been hiding out in a bunker since the very beginning.
I'm not trying to change your mind on anything, you already have it set and are not interested in any other viewpoint. You can post as much crap as you want to try to justify that viewpoint, but your viewpoint is slanted to one side and you will never listen to the other side so it will always be that way. Therefore you will always be easy to manipulate.
There's other people in this world that will listen to the the viewpoint of both sides and then make an informed decision of their own, because that's what rational people do. Obvioulsy we can think for ourselves and don't take someone else at their word.
Just the other day Kamala Harris (USA VP) was saying USA were alies of North Korea, what a retard, I wonder how many believed her, she's as thick as pig shit. Still there's some out there that will have watched that and believed what she said.......

Last edited by mrdude,
  • Haha
Reactions: Aerocool

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not trying to change your mind on anything, you already have it set and are not interested in any other viewpoint.
In other words, you have no means to refute what I've said. Not even the Kremlin denies that Russia invaded Ukraine, they've only ever cycled through a long list of excuses for why they "had" to do it. Before the invasion, conspiracy-minded folk like yourself were adamant that US intelligence was wrong and Putin would never do such a thing.

There's other people in this world that will listen to the the viewpoint of both sides and then make an informed decision of their own, because that's what rational people do.
Yet you're clearly only taking one side of this into consideration, otherwise you'd be more willing to accept what every other nation is telling you. To deny that Russia has fucked themselves in this scenario is to deny reality, there's no logic in attempting to spin the aggressor into the victim. It's practically a meme at this point, but I'll say it anyway: facts don't care about your feelings.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
In other words, you have no means to refute what I've said
In your head that's what you think I've said, but it's not. It's pointless to refute anything to you because your mind is already made up things and no amount of posting will change that. You are set in your ways, you have been spoonfed info from biased sources and never questioned the narrative.
What do you actually know of Ukraine or it's politicians or politics that you haven't heard from the western MSM? If you were to actually do some reading outside of your comfort zone, you would find out that Zelenskyy is a dictator, and that his forces were killing Russian Ulrainians for a long time before this war started. I don't expect you will know any of this though because that's not what the media want you to know.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If you were to actually do some reading outside of your comfort zone
Translation: "if you were to read the same fascist apologia and conspiratorial horse shit from 8chan and alt-right social media that I do..."

The reason you aren't willing to post anything which might substantiate your claims is because you know it's on even shakier ground than the least trustworthy MSM outlets out there. So you're right to assume that I'd call it bunk. I'd say conservatives' fetish for war criminals like Putin is both disturbing and alarming, but this isn't 2014. I'm not at all surprised by the depths y'all are willing to sink to any more, even when you decide to keep digging after hitting the ocean floor.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Translation: "if you were to read the same fascist apologia and conspiratorial horse shit from 8chan and alt-right social media that I do..."
I'm sure your brain thinks that's what's going on......meanwhile back in reality.....!

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This helps no one. I hate what’s Russia doing with all my guts, but I don’t think they did it. Maybe vandalism?

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I have zero trust in any Western leaders so that honestly means nothing to me. They lie, twist the truth, and divide us.
Lets face it, weapons of mass destruction which started the gulf war was a lie. Invasion of Afganistan because a terrorists was supposedly in the country, There's countless lies we have been told over the years by western politicians, too many to mention here. I have zero trust in them as they have proved themselelves time and time again to be liars. Look at Biden, every time he opens his mouth a lie comes out of it, then you have Justin Trudeau - nothing but a wannabe commie dictator, same as Jacinda Ardern. Then you have the non elected EU bureaucrats, constantantly interfering in other countries affairs.

Let's face it, if one African country was to invade another one - USA wouldn't be bothered, they themselves (USA) have invaded plenty countries, messed about with other counties political stuctures and now potentialy they have carried out a terrorist attack on another countries infrastructure. Basically they are in no position to lecture others.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The West "liberated" Libya from a "dictator" and look what they've done to that country.

I'm not Libyan and I miss him.

Those who don't comply with them are seen as enemies, "far-right" and "undemocratic."

"We have tools."

Nothing suspicious about that. 🤔

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
(about alt right social media)

Where are they?

I thought "alt-right" died around 2017/18 since it's such a joke even to the right.
They're busy banning books from a library and going nuts over someone playing an old flute.

So... Perhaps not dead, but pretty weird in their priorities. And with those subjects, one can't deny its a joke indeed.

Reactions: Xzi and sarkwalvein

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea? trying to...