launch new3DSXL US camera defective?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by T3GZdev, Feb 14, 2015.

1. T3GZdev
    OP

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    anyone who just picked up the new3DSXL in US. check out the front camera.
    compare it with the outer new3DSXL cameras or your old3DS/XL front camera.
    does it seem blue, with colors washed as if its almost black and white?
    i seem to be having this with mines.

picture taken with my standard 3DS front camera.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

picture taken with me new3DSXL front camera.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

i see there is this other post where someone is experiencing the same problem.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997614-nintendo-3ds/71211290/811825654

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Could the whiteness be from the IR light?

3. Avalynn

Avalynn I'm here to help poeple out as I can.

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    w0dash likes this.
  4. T3GZdev
    OP

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    HMM interesting. its only effecting the inner camera for me tho. the outer cams colors seem to work.

5. acidmango

acidmango Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2014
    Canada
    Why would they put IR filters on the outer camera? I don't think there are any titles that use the outer camera for face tracking or sweet stealth night vision.

6. Avalynn

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    I think you got that backwards lol, almost all cameras have an IR filter over their imaging sensors, the inner camera does NOT have an IR filter while the outer ones do.

I donno what exactly they are going on about in the post on the outter camera and no IR filter because it does, I just thought you'd like to see the last post where they used the outter and then the inner.

acidmango likes this.
  7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    try disabling the head tracking stuff (or covering up the IR sensor when taking a picture) see if that helps.....i would of thought they would turn off the IR light while using the front camera in apps to prevent it messing with the colours, but idk....worth a try i suppose, but personally i think i have used the inner camera once in the whole time i have had a 3DS :P

nvm, yeah the IR is shut off when entering the camera app.....still looks like crap :P

8. w0dash

w0dash noob

May 29, 2012
    Gambia, The
    Yup, good to know its not only the case with my device :).

T3GZdev likes this.
  9. Avalynn

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    Hehe it's a physical filter put in front of the sensor, think of DSLR filters that you put on the lens. if you have a tiny IR filter you could try sticking it over the camera but who knows lol.

Here is an example of how image sensors are are put together, but this is for a DSLR sensor
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/T2I/ZSENSORASSY.JPG

10. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    oh yeah i know that, i was just wondering if the IR emitter was left on while in the camera which would cause excessive IR while taking picture, but its not you can see its disabled while taking picture

11. T3GZdev
    OP

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    cant believe nintendo would release it this way tho.
    sure its not game breaking but what about games like starfox that use the camera as a webcam in multiplayer, or games where you have to use the front to take picture for profile pics like FaceRaiders3D, HeavyFire3D, and quite a few DSiware games do this. your face is gonna be forever blue in those and your clothes will never be the same color as what you're actually wearing if your useing a new3DS better quality yes but thats why i think its a defect.

i called a nintendo representative and he was puzzled and says its not supposed to be that way. im not sending mines in on day 1 tho lol.

12. Avalynn

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    I don't think the Nintendo reps understand, you might want to talk to their techs and not level 1 at that. The three I have here to play with all do the same thing. (I thought we were talking about the inner camera for some reason) It was released like this it seems or the IR LED they added near that camera won't really serve a purpose. :unsure:

13. omgcat

omgcat GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2009
    United States
    i don't have the blue/washout with a red new 3ds xl american or a black new 3ds xl american console.

T3GZdev likes this.
  14. T3GZdev
    OP

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    he was puzzled then he put me on hold for a bit while he looked at some tools. but was still stumped when he returned lol.
    if it is supposed to be that way tho why hasn't nintendo informed anyone that the front camera was gonna be changed.

i guess if i'm not the only one tho i shouldn't have anything to worry about. if it is a defect then maybe a month from now they will notice.
    i swear there are cameras out there tho that have IR flashes and don't suffer from this problem tho.

pics or it didn't happen. :ph34r:
    front camera correct?

15. Avalynn

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    Sorry! Lol i think i'm still half awake, I thought you were talking about the inner camera ><, Ignore me!

16. T3GZdev
    OP

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    yes the inner front camera, next to the ir.

17. omgcat

omgcat GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2009
    United States
    here is some pictures

black:

inner
    [​IMG]

outer
    [​IMG]
    red:

inner
    [​IMG]

outer
    [​IMG]
    stupid formatting

T3GZdev likes this.
  18. Avalynn

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    Huh strange, well two of the ones i had here had that same issue with a weird tinge and I thought that was normal as well. But they no longer have that problem and display mostly the correct colors. I was even showing my roommate look at these weird colors (they looked pastel) because of lack of IR filter or so I thought. This is quite peculiar and interesting.

19. omgcat

omgcat GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2009
    United States

i did notice some color shifting, i think the camera is trying to adjust to the light levels.

20. Avalynn

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    I think there is also auto white balance in it as well but then again i've been taking apart the N3DS so many time that during that time I may have seated the cable funny or something blocked the a pin. Again I can't seem to reproduce it but I'm trying lol :unsure: