I have cameras in your head!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I recently acquired a 3in1 and found that it seemingly has a bad SRAM chip as it wasn't retaining saves correctly after a power cycle. My unit was specifically a EZ5C11 revision which I've read had a "high failure rate" as some suggested. My issue was specifically random corruption appearing in saves after power reset/power down. (saves would seemingly hold data correctly if I didn't power cycle the console though, only when power reset/power down where sram had to rely on sram battery). This was despite replacing the battery with a good one. (I verified this with a voltage meter)

Well in my case it turned out to not be bad SRAM solder points. Instead it appears to be incorrect resistor arrangment. To elaberate here's a photo showing my board compared to a different board as was shown in this thread:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-tell-which-version-of-the-3in1-you-have.130659/

My photo comparison:

3in1C11Changes.png

The areas in red show the notable differences between my board and the one pictured in that thread. (My board on the left).

The resistor on the backside of the PCB for mine is same value as the one shown on the other board so I simply moved it to that position then removed the resistor on the front side PCB so my board now matches the board on the right.

This solved my sram issue!

If you have a C11 revision with sram issues try checking the resistors and if they matched my board you can try changing them to match the board on the right in that photo. It might resolve your issue!

Specifically if your SRAM retains data (aka the sram write.nds file doesn't report an error writing to sram and only verify.nds reports a fail on power cycle) with good battery then there's a good chance your board might have bad resistor arrangement and changing it to match the board on the right in that photo might resolve your issue like it did mine! ;)

If there's any other C11 revision owners of 3in1, Perhaps share photos of your board and whether or not you are currently having issues with sram. I wonder how widespread this issue was with this board revision. It could be the failure rates with this might be related to this resistor arrangement and not defective solder job with SRAM chip. If this is the case then the fix will be easier with this board as it won't require reflowing the chip.

Though if you are getting sram errors without power cycling then in that case you might indeed have bad sram solder balls. My problem didn't crop up unless I powered down console.

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

moon_rabbit

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Sounds like a good idea.
It's possible that the resistor position was changed due to a design error, since there's a big difference in production time, at least in the photo.

Apache Thunder

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yeah possible this is sorta a C11.5 revision. Not sure why they changed the resistor layout with mine compared to the older one. I did notice the battery voltage in circuit went up by 0.2 volts or so after the change so it seems the original layout mine had was siphoning away current somewhere and this was likely why my sram was having issues.

Maybe the batteries they used had enough voltage/current capacity to overcome this but the replacement battery I got didn't so I was still having issues. But after I "downgraded" my board to the older version it fixed it....so I'm not sure why they used this arrangement...assuming it was intentional. I tested the other features like PSRam and rumble and they all still work so there was no downside to me switching the resistors back to the older board layout.

I've flashed Pokémon Emerald to NorFlash and been testing it's save retention that way as the Pokemon games will wipe their saves with even the slightest of corruption and so far it's been holding up fine after having the console powered off for 20+ minutes so it looks like my sram issue is completely resolved.

Reactions: ASSASSIN-Z

Apache Thunder

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a good idea.
It's possible that the resistor position was changed due to a design error, since there's a big difference in production time, at least in the photo.
Yeah I just realized the photo I had found from that one thread appears to be a newer production run if the silk screen number printed on the topside of the board is anything to go by so completely plausible the early runs had this issue and they "fixed" it with the new resistor changes the newer board seems to have.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa Im gonna try out soldering, gonna try soldering HDMI mods on the n64 and wii