Hacking Largest size memory card for Acekard 2i?

jmido

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my acekard 2i today and it's working great but I can't fit all my games onto it so I need to get a bigger memory card. What size can I go up to without it being to big to be compatible? Also, how much room on my memory cards should I leave for save data?

thanks!

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
It is at moment realistically 16gig - the max is 32 gigs IF/WHEN they release 32gig microSD cards.

After that, the tech is jammed against wall, and it needs to be some new "OMGWTFHCSD" card or anything to go beyond that.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
JereTHEend said:
It is at moment realistically 16gig - the max is 32 gigs IF/WHEN they release 32gig microSD cards.

After that, the tech is jammed against wall, and it needs to be some new "OMGWTFHCSD" card or anything to go beyond that.

or maybe just Micro SDXC
ph34r.gif

jmido

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, also, my acekard 2i came with a T-flash USB thumb drive and i'm not really sure what it's for. It has a slot that looks like it could fit a micro sd card but I don't know. Is it just another type of card reader?

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
danny600kill said:
JereTHEend said:

or maybe just Micro SDXC
ph34r.gif
Whatever.
Any of devices we have at our hand this moment cannot support that.
and to be blunt, with flashcarts we do not have need to have more than that.

I mean, I have my iPod touch with 32 gigs of space, where 11gigs is music. 4gigs video, and if that were my DS memorycard, 7gigs of games (only)

so it SHOULD be fine... (also I heard that there is 32gig microSD's coming out soon...)

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jmido said:
Thanks, also, my acekard 2i came with a T-flash USB thumb drive and i'm not really sure what it's for. It has a slot that looks like it could fit a micro sd card but I don't know. Is it just another type of card reader?
Yes, it's just another way of connecting the microSD to your computer. My PC was too old to recognize SDHC cards, making the SD-card sized adaptors not work. Using the thumb drive, my PC was able to read the microSD.

Atashi

Out of the Loop
Trophies
Website
planetstephanie.net
XP
Country
Canada
jmido said:

It's a "transflash" or "microsd" card reader. The microsd just slides into the slot and it works like any other USB card reader.

-Atashi

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
JereTHEend said:
danny600kill said:
JereTHEend said:

or maybe just Micro SDXC
ph34r.gif
Whatever.
Any of devices we have at our hand this moment cannot support that.
and to be blunt, with flashcarts we do not have need to have more than that.

I mean, I have my iPod touch with 32 gigs of space, where 11gigs is music. 4gigs video, and if that were my DS memorycard, 7gigs of games (only)

so it SHOULD be fine... (also I heard that there is 32gig microSD's coming out soon...)

How do you know? The Wii didn't initially support SDHC, but it got an update to work.

Rising_Dragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because no amounts of software updates can fix a hardware issue it wasn't designed for.

I can see 32gig cards working, as long as it follows specs. Anything over that would be a question mark.
I doubt SDXC will work on the current ak2i cards.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SDXC is irrevelant wether it works or not, as a 64GB SDXC card is going to set you back atleast $350 http://www.memorysuppliers.com/sandisk-ult...ELAID=478039887 which puts it out of most peoples price range. Considering the 32GB MicroSD are just about to ship, and considering 16GB cards started shipping Spetember 2008 and we still don't have 32GB cards shipping it's going to be 1-2 years before 64GB Micro SD cards ship and atleast a year after that for them to come down in price.

So the AK2i not supporting SDXC isn't really a big deal, as by then people probably would have moved on.

While i'm sure the 32GB MicroSD cards will work with the AceKard's, they will be too expensive per GB. Cheapest I can get a 32GB for is £95, where as a 8GB costs £10.50 or the 16GB cost £28. So for the moment the 8GB cards are by far the best cards to get bang for buck.

Most games use 512KB for the save file and a few like Zelda use 1MB, so just multiply 512KB by the number of games and add a few for luck. I left 125MB free for saves on a 8GB card.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dangy said:
It could, potentially, support up to 2TB.
Which i'm sure is fantastic, but how many GB do the complete collection of unique english language trimmed roms take up? then how many of those would you ever actually want to play? unless you are really into the baby and my little pony games, 32GB will be more than enough to hold all the games you want.

I'm sure in 2019 you'll be the first to get a 2TB MicroSD card to play games on your DS Lite.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
He was answering the first post, calm down.
I know, I was taking the piss.

The AceKard 2i will only support SDHC cards which are limited to 32GB, not 2TB.

There are big differences between SDHC and SDXC. SD & SDHC have a maximum read speed of 25 MB/s where as SDXC has a maximum read speed of 300MB/s. Even my cheapy £9.49 8GB MicroSD cards get over 20MB/s, so the increase is needed. SDXC uses the exFAT file system or sometimes called FAT64, which the AceKard doesn't support. SDXC support will require a hardware revision for the AceKard to support it.

While some SD devices were able to use SDHC cards with a firmware update, all SDHC devices will require a hardware update to support SDXC.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • T @ tungns:
    is it good for play with wife
  • IanSkinner1982 @ IanSkinner1982:
    Maybe? Depends on if your wife likes playing racing games.
    Mario kart is a pretty good game.
  • T @ tungns:
    my wife've never play video games
    No? Missing out.
  • T @ tungns:
    at least that's what i've known
  • T @ tungns:
    there's onetime she kind of interest
  • T @ tungns:
    is when i'm playing RE7
  • T @ tungns:
    but i'm too scare to playing the game pass the first chapter
    +1
    I haven't played that game.
  • T @ tungns:
    that game is scary af
    I don't like scary games as much.
  • T @ tungns:
    yeah me too. My wife asked me to continue the game
  • T @ tungns:
    and i uninstalled the game
  • T @ tungns:
    did you like FF series?
    Was it at least a good game? Aside from all the scariness I mean.
    Final fantasy? I've only played a bit of one of the games. I think I played a decent amount of FF 5 for DS.
    But I really can't remember much about that series. I've seen my dad play whatever one was remastered on the PS4.
  • T @ tungns:
    well i've never played pass the first chapter so i cannot say if it good or not. But it sure scary af
  • T @ tungns:
    the remaster
  • T @ tungns:
    i've allway hate those
    T @ tungns: i've allway hate those