Largest size memory card for Acekard 2i?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by jmido, Mar 10, 2010.

Mar 10, 2010
  1. jmido
    OP

Member jmido GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just got my acekard 2i today and it's working great but I can't fit all my games onto it so I need to get a bigger memory card. What size can I go up to without it being to big to be compatible? Also, how much room on my memory cards should I leave for save data?

thanks!

2. House Spider

Banned House Spider In the GBAtemp attic.

Ireland
    I think its 16GB but it might suppirt 32GB.

3. Sumea

Member Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Finland
    It is at moment realistically 16gig - the max is 32 gigs IF/WHEN they release 32gig microSD cards.

After that, the tech is jammed against wall, and it needs to be some new "OMGWTFHCSD" card or anything to go beyond that.

4. Danny600kill

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    or maybe just Micro SDXC [​IMG]

5. jmido
    OP

Member jmido GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks, also, my acekard 2i came with a T-flash USB thumb drive and i'm not really sure what it's for. It has a slot that looks like it could fit a micro sd card but I don't know. Is it just another type of card reader?

6. Sumea

Member Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Finland
    Whatever.
    Any of devices we have at our hand this moment cannot support that.
    and to be blunt, with flashcarts we do not have need to have more than that.

I mean, I have my iPod touch with 32 gigs of space, where 11gigs is music. 4gigs video, and if that were my DS memorycard, 7gigs of games (only)

so it SHOULD be fine... (also I heard that there is 32gig microSD's coming out soon...)

7. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    Yes, it's just another way of connecting the microSD to your computer. My PC was too old to recognize SDHC cards, making the SD-card sized adaptors not work. Using the thumb drive, my PC was able to read the microSD.

8. Atashi

Member Atashi Out of the Loop

Canada
    It's a "transflash" or "microsd" card reader. The microsd just slides into the slot and it works like any other USB card reader.

-Atashi

9. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yeah, I got that adapter with mine as well and, like injected, my SD slot can't read SDHC so I needed to use an adapter like that.

I'm using an 8GB MicroSDHC with my 2i and have no trouble whatsoever.

10. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    How do you know? The Wii didn't initially support SDHC, but it got an update to work.

11. Rising_Dragon

Newcomer Rising_Dragon Member

United States
    Because no amounts of software updates can fix a hardware issue it wasn't designed for.

I can see 32gig cards working, as long as it follows specs. Anything over that would be a question mark.
    I doubt SDXC will work on the current ak2i cards.

12. Rydian

United States
    The Sansa C200 series doesn't work with SDHC, but if you put rockbox on it it does, for example, but nothing can make my SD card reader on my computer accept SDHC. [​IMG]

13. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    SDXC is irrevelant wether it works or not, as a 64GB SDXC card is going to set you back atleast $350 http://www.memorysuppliers.com/sandisk-ult...ELAID=478039887 which puts it out of most peoples price range. Considering the 32GB MicroSD are just about to ship, and considering 16GB cards started shipping Spetember 2008 and we still don't have 32GB cards shipping it's going to be 1-2 years before 64GB Micro SD cards ship and atleast a year after that for them to come down in price.

So the AK2i not supporting SDXC isn't really a big deal, as by then people probably would have moved on.

While i'm sure the 32GB MicroSD cards will work with the AceKard's, they will be too expensive per GB. Cheapest I can get a 32GB for is £95, where as a 8GB costs £10.50 or the 16GB cost £28. So for the moment the 8GB cards are by far the best cards to get bang for buck.

Most games use 512KB for the save file and a few like Zelda use 1MB, so just multiply 512KB by the number of games and add a few for luck. I left 125MB free for saves on a 8GB card.

14. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    It could, potentially, support up to 2TB.

15. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    Which i'm sure is fantastic, but how many GB do the complete collection of unique english language trimmed roms take up? then how many of those would you ever actually want to play? unless you are really into the baby and my little pony games, 32GB will be more than enough to hold all the games you want.

I'm sure in 2019 you'll be the first to get a 2TB MicroSD card to play games on your DS Lite.

16. Rydian

United States
    He was answering the first post, calm down.

17. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    I know, I was taking the piss.

The AceKard 2i will only support SDHC cards which are limited to 32GB, not 2TB.

There are big differences between SDHC and SDXC. SD & SDHC have a maximum read speed of 25 MB/s where as SDXC has a maximum read speed of 300MB/s. Even my cheapy £9.49 8GB MicroSD cards get over 20MB/s, so the increase is needed. SDXC uses the exFAT file system or sometimes called FAT64, which the AceKard doesn't support. SDXC support will require a hardware revision for the AceKard to support it.

While some SD devices were able to use SDHC cards with a firmware update, all SDHC devices will require a hardware update to support SDXC.

18. Sonataroger

Newcomer Sonataroger Member

United States
    So it can handle a 32g? have you done it? i had an r4 and it was limited to 4 idk why this would be much different.

19. Rydian

United States
    The R4 was limited because it didn't support SDHC.