Laptop battery is dead

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by DSGamer64, Aug 24, 2008.

Aug 24, 2008

Laptop battery is dead by DSGamer64 at 4:40 AM (931 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. DSGamer64
    OP

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    For serious, the damn thing only lasts 30 mins tops on minimal power settings with about 40 processes running and very low CPU usage and it originally lasted 3 hours when I got the computer 2 years ago. My computer is an Acer Aspire 5003 laptop, but unfortunately the extended warranty on my laptop does NOT cover the battery going kaput and it expires next May, however I don't think the computer will last that long anyway and it has already had the disc drive and HDD replaced. So whats the best way I can get a replacement (which is under the guarantee if they can't fix it) by making it look like it faulted out? I am obviously going to backup my data before I do anything, but since the computer is a piece of shit anyway, it needs to be replaced and I want a replacement before the warranty expires. So whats the best way of intentionally faulting out the computer and preventing it from running?

2. chuckstudios

Member chuckstudios Putting the pro in procrastination

United States
    If you can get easy access to the motherboard without actually opening the case, try dropping in a few drops of water while it's on. Unplug it first though.

3. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    You won't be able to take it apart without them knowing, best to short the battery contacts

4. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    yeh short the battery and play "dumb consumer" and that you have no clue why your laptop doesn't work

5. DSGamer64
    OP

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    It was opened long before now, the new HDD and disc drive are evidence that it was tampered with.

How do you fault the battery contacts though?

6. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
  7. Javacat

Member Javacat GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Check to see what your warranty covers. Extended warrantys can be pretty cool and cover something like a drink being spilled over the laptop, which could be enough to kill it. A drink then might possibly spill onto your laptop, and if you're particularly unlucky go in one of the cooling vents on the side/back [​IMG]
    You might also need to be careful that you don't drop it down some stairs [​IMG]