Lakka and Atmosphere on same

misticknight1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry guys I know it’s been done before but the latest tutorial I saw was like 2019 so I thought maybe there’s an updated tutorial.

Going to start fresh with 512gb microsd soon. Can I have Lakka and Atmosphere running off same SD card? If so can someone point to the most recent tutorial please ?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry guys I know it’s been done before but the latest tutorial I saw was like 2019 so I thought maybe there’s an updated tutorial.

Going to start fresh with 512gb microsd soon. Can I have Lakka and Atmosphere running off same SD card? If so can someone point to the most recent tutorial please ?

edit: https://gbatemp.net/threads/lakka-4...n-switch-port-with-better-performance.609625/

Lakka is it’s own directory on the SDCard and resides in /lakka, next to /atmosphere, without issue. It’s booted via its own /bootloader entry so no interference there either. They simply sit on the same file system and are oblivious of each other’s existence. Any install guide is likely good enough to get Lakka going with Atmosphere regardless of the date. They shoul all go something like this:

1. Download Lakka 7z archive.
  2. Extract the 7z archive to first (FAT32) partition of the SD card
  3. Boot into Hekate. Hint: Use (Vol -) during Hekate splash logo if needed.
  4. Under Nyx Options dump joyons after they have been paired in HOS (only required one time.)
  5. Under More Configs press lakka to boot Lakka

Last edited by binkinator,

misticknight1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
edit: https://gbatemp.net/threads/lakka-4...n-switch-port-with-better-performance.609625/

Lakka is it’s own directory on the SDCard and resides in /lakka, next to /atmosphere, without issue. It’s booted via its own /bootloader entry so no interference there either. They simply sit on the same file system and are oblivious of each other’s existence. Any install guide is likely good enough to get Lakka going with Atmosphere regardless of the date. They shoul all go something like this:

1. Download Lakka 7z archive.
  2. Extract the 7z archive to first (FAT32) partition of the SD card
  3. Boot into Hekate. Hint: Use (Vol -) during Hekate splash logo if needed.
  4. Under Nyx Options dump joyons after they have been paired in HOS (only required one time.)
  5. Under More Configs press lakka to boot Lakka
Thank you, idk why I read it needs to be in a split SD etc. i think maybe that was for Android ? I’ve been putting it off for no reason it seems.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, idk why I read it needs to be in a split SD etc. i think maybe that was for Android ? I’ve been putting it off for no reason it seems.
Android and L4T BOTH need separate partitions. Hekate has the partitioning built in and you should prolly set those up before you get a bunch of things installed and have to backup/restore from scratch to build new parts on an in use sd card. Lakka doesn’t need a new partition so if that’s all you’re gonna do…you’re good to go.

Reactions: misticknight1

evil_santa

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Android and L4T BOTH need separate partitions. Hekate has the partitioning built in and you should prolly set those up before you get a bunch of things installed and have to backup/restore from scratch to build new parts on an in use sd card. Lakka doesn’t need a new partition so if that’s all you’re gonna do…you’re good to go.
Yes, exactly right.
lakka runs from a squashfs directly from the (fat32) SD card and does not need its own partition.
if anyone wants to support the dev (gavin darkglider) who ported lakka to the switch, you can do so here via PayPal.
paypal.me/gavindarkglider

stephrk398

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lakka DuckStation vs Horizon PCSX Rearmed.png

Got to zoom in to see better but yeah, glad to see Silent Hills fog being tolerable to the point where I'll actually do a legitimate playthrough. Runs fine too. Disabling V-sync fixed audio popping in the games I tried.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 304048

Got to zoom in to see better but yeah, glad to see Silent Hills fog being tolerable to the point where I'll actually do a legitimate playthrough. Runs fine too. Disabling V-sync fixed audio popping in the games I tried.
Wow…the PCSX looks like ass.

Spudicus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want a "fully-functional" Linux distribution (i.e., L4T Ubuntu) on your Switch, it requires it's own partition, like Android. Lakka is a RetroArch-only Linux distro and does not require it's own partition, although it does operate in its own "sandbox" and can't access ROMs on the HOS portion of the SD card (at least not OOTB). However, it will run ROMs off of a USB-C thumb drive. FYI, you can have Atmosphere, Android, Ubuntu, and Lakka on the same SD card. I have Atmosphere, Android and Lakka on my 1TB card; I haven't added Ubuntu because I haven't come up with a good reason yet (other than because I can :D ).

romanaOne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any compelling reason to run Linux or Android Retroarch and not run Retroarch natively on the switch? What are benefits/problems with Lakka? Is there brightness control, sleep, better/worse battery life? Do troublesome systems like gamecube, N64, DC, DS, etc. work any better?

In the Silent Hill on Horizon screen shot, is any smoothing/filtering enabled? I remember having to enable video something-or-other (I want to say "bilinear filetering" but it's been a while since I last used Retroarch.) in most Retroarch emulators, otherwise they look terrible in whatever platform Retroarch is running on.

Last edited by romanaOne,

evil_santa

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is there any compelling reason to run Linux or Android Retroarch and not run Retroarch natively on the switch? What are benefits/problems with Lakka? Is there brightness control, sleep, better/worse battery life? Do troublesome systems like gamecube, N64, DC, DS, etc. work any better?

In the Silent Hill on Horizon screen shot, is any smoothing/filtering enabled? I remember having to enable video something-or-other (I want to say "bilinear filetering" but it's been a while since I last used Retroarch.) in most Retroarch emulators, otherwise they look terrible in whatever platform Retroarch is running on.
simple answer, you don't have Vulkan renderer under Horizon.
Lakka has better performance for problematic titles. But try yourself for a comparison.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou