Konami sends Cease and Desist to Castlevania fan project

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by lcie nimbus, Dec 7, 2016.

1. lcie nimbus
    OP

lcie nimbus 100th degree asskicker

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    yup , forgot to mention that

2. AyanamiRei0

AyanamiRei0 GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.

GBAtemp Patron
    AyanamiRei0 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 4, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Brexit
    Oh what's this IP we have but never really use let's make a Pachinko machine instead of making a proper game - Konami 2016

3. lcie nimbus
    OP

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    hell , he even released a demo

4. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    The right to MGS is owned by Konami thus it's a Konami game. Although it was directed by Kojima, top brass pulled quite a bit of content from the game and caused quite a bit of trouble with Kojima and Konami. Legally nobody is allowed to say anything of the situation or the pulled content.

Moral of the story Konami is a smelly piece of shit gambling company.

Subtle Demise and lcie nimbus like this.
  5. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
    Well, that's no kinds of kosher. Yeah, a C&D is actually proper justice for this case, it just happened to be enforced by Satan. Profiting from another's intellectual property shouldn't be allowed if we want a society where creative licences mean anything.

6. Demifiend

Demifiend The bored one

Mar 20, 2015
    Yep, here is my proof
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/103682474/castlevania-1-remake

And the developer was shady as fuck too, he talked about raising 70.000 USD just to actually buy the licensee necessary to "own" the game or at least a permit to actually develop that game, but again, who in their right mind would think about making a kickstarter for an actual licensee?

The developer was just inexperienced, clueless, naive and at the end of the day, he didn't capitalize his focus on the game, this was, I repeat, the inevitable

7. Kurt91

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    I was on this guy's side up until I heard that it was KickStarted. You want to make a fan-game, good for you. Have at it. I've seen a large number of Castlevania fan-games, some of them remakes of other games, some of which were unique games with a Castlevania setting and characters. Once you start actually asking for money and want to profit from it, that's when I'm on the company's side. There is a reason copyright exists, and the company that owns the license should be the ones to make money off of it.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against fan-games. I got upset when AM2R got shut down, because while it was a remake, it was a non-profit fan-game with a huge amount of original content. Even so, if the guy behind AM2R had been asking for money, then I would have been on Nintendo's side. I have a similar feeling as far as Doujin games go. I don't have an issue with seeing Touhou fan-games, but I always feel weird seeing a fan-made Touhou game being sold and charged for. (Although as far as I'm aware, copyright laws are different in Japan, and the developer of the Touhou series has already stated that he has no problem with this)

If this guy wasn't to make a for-profit Castlevania game, then by all means, he can go right ahead. HOWEVER, there are certain things that he needs to do before he can do this. He needed to make his initial demo, and then send it to Konami as an example of and reassurance of quality, while asking for a license and paying the appropriate costs for said license, before going through with everything the way that he had.

Look at Bloodstained. There is a reason why the original creator of the Castlevania series is making his own game WITHOUT the Castlevania license and name after leaving Konami. It is blatantly Castlevania in everything but name, and so he's been doing just fine with it.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  8. AyanamiRei0

AyanamiRei0 GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.

GBAtemp Patron
    AyanamiRei0 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 4, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Brexit
    [​IMG]
    Damn

9. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I'm surprised that they still "care" about their IP enough to want to throw a tantrum about someone doing something they themselves are too damn lazy to do on their own.

10. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    can't risk losing that sweet pachinko money, right?

Autz likes this.
  11. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    My question is.. Why not make a new character, a few new items and enemies and then release it as a game "Inspired by Castlevania" same with the Pokemon Fangames?

That seems to make a hell of a lot more sense then using the IPs and getting C&Ds.

Subtle Demise and 44100hz like this.
  12. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    should have developed it in secret and then just put the final on the web. cant shut that down. torrents say hi. besides shouldn't be making money off another IP. if i was to make a mega man game using mega man ip i would not do it for money. once that shit is done no one is gonna know I made it. cant send a letter to a ghost....

13. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I was going to side with the guy until I read that kickstarter page. Christ...it takes some effort to be more moronic than konami, but he manages to pull it off.

Hey idiot...how about making a non-franchise game, then? Yeah, it'll get you less funding (a whole freaking DOZEN less funders), but if you make a decent clone/lookalike it'll find its audience.

Oh, and seriously: that should be mentioned in the OP. The guy knew it in advance. I guess it's okay to mention that you don't have a license on a franchise yet and will need to be bought, but the very fact that he got a C&D letter means he only started negotiations after being caught. You don't have to be a freaking lawyer or diplomat to see how that isn't the best way to go

Bladexdsl likes this.
  14. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    well you can't do whatever you want even if konami are dicks

15. ThisIsDaAccount

ThisIsDaAccount GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 8, 2016
    United States
    I don't know much about Konami's game department, but the yugioh community isn't a big fan of them either.

16. lcie nimbus
    OP

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    guess I should have mentioned that it was kickstarted in the first post , but damn n over 70000 u.s dollars .......that`s a whole lot of money , no way in hell konami WASN'T gonna shut him down .

17. ChaosBoi

ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

Feb 19, 2007
    United States
    California
    I'm surprised the project held out this long to be honest. I remember hearing about this project quite awhile back and was expecting him to get shut down quickly.

18. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    After killing off Silent Hills Konami is dead to me. Whatever they do now is no interest to me unless the do a Silent Hill Remaster.

Capcom hired the guys that were doing the re2 remake to help with the official.

19. Autz

Autz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 18, 2016
    Venezuela
    Already did, and was trash.

20. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    That was a remake/reimagining. Remaster is the same game with a visual overhaul and other fixes.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted