Konami sends Cease and Desist to Castlevania fan project

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
guess I should have mentioned that it was kickstarted in the first post , but damn n over 70000 u.s dollars .......that`s a whole lot of money , no way in hell konami WASN'T gonna shut him down .
glad they did i'm tired of these kickstart-tards profiting of other people even if it is konami :P

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm. I want to play devil's advocate...i mean no one said a word about ocean horn and the team were 90% of the guys who made wind waker (plus some freelace guys who were also fans). No one batted a eye on mighty no 9 or the hat of whatever game inspired by Kazooie n dockey kong 64. Nope. Why are some projects immuned to c&ds from publishers, developers and fans criticism? It l really shows the hypocritical ways of the members here and redit.

Last edited by chartube12,

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hmmm. I want to play devil's advocate...i mean no one said a word about ocean horn and the team were 90% of the guys who made wind waker (plus some freelace guys who were also fans). No one batted a eye on mighty no 9 or the hat of whatever game inspired by Kazooie n dockey kong 64. Nope. Why are some projects immuned to c&ds from publishers, developers and fans criticism? It l really shows the hypocritical ways of the members here and redit.

Being inspired by something is one thing, it's normal and happens all the time in all types of industries. In this case he is making a game based on copyrighted material.

Deleted member 377734

100th degree asskicker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Being inspired by something is one thing, it's normal and happens all the time in all types of industries. In this case he is making a game based on copyrighted material.
and he's also making money off of it. if he wouldn't have tried to profit from it , he might have gotten away with it . take pokemon reborn for an example . made by one person , one of the largest and most well-done pokemon fangames on the net . Nintendo hasn't said a single word about it. why ? , because amethyst(the creator) has kept it low-profile and OFF sites like kickstarter. meaning Nintendo has no reason to take action . also it's radically different from the main stream pokemon games........either that or they don't know about it:ha:

Last edited by Deleted member 377734,

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Based on something and inspired by. Same thing. I am laughing at your failed attempt at justifying your hate for the project. There is no real difference between those other projects i talked about earlier and this one in my view. They are all ripping off a great deal from the originals. This project is no different. The only change is the amount of hatred it is recieve compared to the others.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Based on something and inspired by. Same thing. I am laughing at your failed attempt at justifying your hate for the project. There is no real difference between those other projects i talked about earlier and this one in my view. They are all ripping off a great deal from the originals. This project is no different. The only change is the amount of hatred it is recieve compared to the others.

Wtf? Hate for the project?
I didn't even know it existed until I read this. And no, being inspired is one thing, for example, Final Fantasy was inspired by Dragon Quest to begin with. Oceanhorn might be inspired by Zelda, but it's a different game with different content. This game is just remaking a game that already exists, but that is not the most serious issue here (although Nintendo does the some if people remake their games like this), is that he tried to get money to do this. No company would allow that, no matter how 'cool' they are.

Reactions: chartube12

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country
Capcom hired the guys that were doing the re2 remake to help with the official.

There's a very clear difference within the business strategies between those two companies, Capcom is far more lenient with its properties, so essentially anyone can make a Megaman fan game without getting a C&D order, heck, one of Capcom's "official" games is just a megaman fan game, the "Street Fighter vs Megaman" game that got its fame through the anniversary of Megaman.

While RE is a far more valuable property in terms of actual developing, writing scenario, etc. the guy who did most of the Fan remake alone worked a lot to produce wonderful results, without the need of a Kickstarter nor Outside Help, but look at this guy compared to those creators, he asks money to buy or at least get permission to use the Castlevania licensee, has no knowledge of legal terms or contracts which is something basic if you want to get money from people and then use it in the future towards the creation path of a videogame.

He only used basic models, the UI of the game looks as basic as it gets, etc. Bottom line, if you wanna make a videogame based on another company's property, read and evaluate how much lenient will the company be towards that project, and as we all know, Konami isn't an exemplar in being communicative nor open with its fans, as I stated again, my point still holds water.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I always find it bizarre that people just copy other existing games instead of making their own.
Why learn to program games if you're just going to uselessly copy other peoples creativity? Nostalgia isn't a great excuse. Just make your own castlevania-like game.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
agree i hate Kickstarter they are practically a pirates haven. 90% of the projects on there are remakes of other ideas and ideas based on already copyrighted ideas and they are profiting from it. the other 10% is just trash :glare:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality