Konami announces remasters of Suikoden 1 and 2

Konami is continuing to remind fans that it made games, once. During TGS 2022, the company announced that the beloved PS1-era JRPGs Suikoden 1 and Suikoden 2 would be getting remastered. Given the name of Suikoden I&II HD Remaster: Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars, it'll feature both games having HD backgrounds, new pixel-art animations, upgraded sound quality and sound effects, fast forward, auto-save, and other modernizations. It'll be out next year, for Steam, Xbox One, Switch, and PlayStation 4..

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Konami be like: "Square Enix is eating away at our profits, and we can't allow them to do that! Greelight those damn Suikoden remasters NOW!"

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Eeek! First time I've heard about this, nearly peed a little with excitement! Suikoden 1 is easily one of my all time fave RPGs, and of course I also enjoyed 2... looks like 2 has had more attention so far judging by the video (1 currently reminds me a bit too much of a godawful Squeenix mobile FF port, change this please tell em), but yeah, this is a day one for me! :D

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ay, I remember playing the second game all the time when I was younger... back when I still didn't understand english, lol.
I didn't get much far into it, of course.
Myself, I feel this mix of HD/hand drawn backgrounds with the classic, like, "chunky" sprites clashes quite some unlike something like Octopath traveler or the Live a Live remake.
Suppose it's no biggie tho, if someone likes how it looks, then good for them, guess who prefers the original looks can just emulate them ps1 games, ahah.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only for old-gen consoles? :O
What could PS5 and X|S really do for these that PS4 and Xbone couldn't? They're friggin PSX games, even PS3 and 360 updates would be more than sufficient for updating these, if they weren't dead platforms. And unlike 5 and Series, you can actually buy 4 and 1 systems and not from scalpers, and if you lucked out and have one (or more...) of the new gen they can play these using BC, right?

_TheGuy_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With Legend of Mana, Grandia, Chrono Cross, and now Suikoden I & II making a return, it really feels like a resurgence of the PS1 JRPG era. Oh what I would do for a Xenogears full remaster with a completed second disc.

There are some nice touches here and there. The portrait art of the main character in 1 looks so crisp, but the character models look out of place considering how smooth the environments look. Looks better than SaGa Frontier remastered at least.

zorokenshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Wow Konami finally remember that long ago they used to have an RPG saga that was capable of going toe to toe with Final Fantasy or the Dragon quest sagas and with an excellent development behind of it let's ser if the remakes are up to their predecesors and hope for the rest of the saga to he also revived

Leen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
man with all these remaster, remakes etc.. i can hope for alundra 1 & 2 remakes.
ya since they are licensed to working designs thats about as likely as a snowball in hell (:cry: thinking about Lunar 1 and 2) Victor Ireland doesn't give up any licensed product they have ever done EVER

Deleted member 608654

A scarlet letter
Trophies
XP
With Legend of Mana, Grandia, Chrono Cross, and now Suikoden I & II making a return, it really feels like a resurgence of the PS1 JRPG era. Oh what I would do for a Xenogears full remaster with a completed second disc.

There are some nice touches here and there. The portrait art of the main character in 1 looks so crisp, but the character models look out of place considering how smooth the environments look. Looks better than SaGa Frontier remastered at least.
The snes walked so the ps1 could run.

Leen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Generally much cheaper to pander to nostalgia with a few qol than go the extra mile.
Konami had always favored profits above all else.
ya the irony of this remaster is i'm willing to bet most of the features that are being touted are the ones they put into the japanesse version that never came to the us but in japan only sold 26K units

Deleted member 608654

A scarlet letter
Trophies
XP
ya the irony of this remaster is i'm willing to bet most of the features that are being touted are the ones they put into the japanesse version that never came to the us but in japan only sold 26K units
Why don't these games sell well in Japan, where the population of people is 100 million. Animal crossing NH the best selling game in Japan, only sold 15 million copies.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
good idea, but I don't like how it looks.
It feels "badly done" when I see HD background and pixelated characters.
I know Squenix is doing the same, HD background and pixelated sprites, like legend of mana, etc. but, they could give the choice to the player :P (extra work for them ahah)
A remaster I liked visually is SaGa Frontier with HD characters too.

in my opinion, either you just port it pixelated with just making them compatible to run on new consoles, either you upgrade ALL the graphics, but doing half the job it feels wrong and ugly. characters feels detached and not from the same era than the background.
but, it's nice and I hope they will continue with suiko3/4/5 as they all needs the previous game savegame to unlock all characters.

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Back when I was playing kakarot I looked up one little guide now all I see is dbz stuff