granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mgs3d.jpg
With this, we now have irrefutable confirmation that there WILL be a Metal Gear Solid game on the 3DS in one form or another. For those who are sketchy on the details, it was said by Kojima a few weeks back that the Metal Gear Solid tech demo shown off at E3 was built to show off the 3DS' technology and that he wasn't sure at the time whether the system would ever get a Metal Gear game. He stated that the creation of a MGS game for the handheld would depend on fan reaction at the Metal Gear Solid 3DS tech demo. If fans reaction was good, he would consider making a MGS game for the system. Many people assumed that this would eventually become a real game for the system, when in reality it was something used to show off the system itself.

We now have new information from Hideo Kojima himself though, and he has brought very good news to the fans of Metal Gear-

“A sample of the 3DS game we showed at E3 was actually an experiment which combined MGS with a handheld that offers 3D. I’ve only had two months to create it. And that’s one reason why we have called it “The Naked Sample.” Having said that, I can assure you that the 3DS will definitely have its own version of MGS, making the most of “naked eye” 3D technology. But for now, I can not tell you what the final title will be.” - Hideo Kojima [/p]
So with this, we now have 100% confirmation that there will indeed be a Metal Gear Solid game on the 3DS. Whether this will be a new title or a remake though, remains to be seen. Also interesting to note what an amazing presentation they managed to produce in just 2 months.

For reference, Kojima productions had previously been unsure if they would actually release any sort of Metal Gear games on the 3DS, despite the tech demo. They specifically stated that they were waiting for the fans to decide what would become of a 3DS Metal Gear Solid game. You can read their comments about the matter-

“Of course, I think we talked about the fact that it is a sample. So you know, not saying that we won’t bring it out in the future or anything like that. We can’t say one way or the other whether or not something like that will come out on the 3DS at this point. But what we did show at E3 was a sample of what we could do with the 3DS.” - Kojima productions podcast [/p]
That comment was made quite a bit before the newer confirmation now, so we now have proof that there will be a MGS 3DS game sometime in the future in some shape or form. It would seem that the fan reaction for the E3 tech demo was extremely positive (i myself have seen how many people were blown away and hyped about it).

Incidentally, you can find screens for the tech demo almost anywhere online. No official video has been recorded cleanly yet, but there are several videos taken by camera from E3's showfloor. The tech demo shows off graphics superior to that of PSP, all running in real time using the 3DS' hardware. In the demo, you couldn't control the character, but you had complete control over the camera angle showing off the impressive graphics. If you missed the video, have a look after the spoiler tag-

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/44325/
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/16/will-...an-actual-game/

manobon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank Goodness- I was really worried about the "sample" being all that was made (and in two months!).

Seriously- just remake MG2-Solid Snake! In...4 months!

DEagleson

Gamer Extraordinaire
Trophies
Website
raptr.com
XP
Country
Norway
Metal Gear Solid 1-3 3DS collection.
smile.gif

That would be sweet.

But i guess il settle with a MGS 3 Subsistence remake in 3D "IF" they also include more stuff than the PS2 version.

Freudian Lemur

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
manobon said:
Thank Goodness- I was really worried about the "sample" being all that was made (and in two months!).

QUOTE(DEagleson @ Jul 6 2010, 11:04 PM) Metal Gear Solid 1-3 3DS collection.
smile.gif

That would be sweet.

But i guess il settle with a MGS 3 Subsistence remake in 3D "IF" they also include more stuff than the PS2 version.
Because, y'know, a completely new MGS game would be a terrible idea...

manobon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Freudian Lemur said:
manobon said:

QUOTE(DEagleson @ Jul 6 2010, 11:04 PM) Metal Gear Solid 1-3 3DS collection.
smile.gif

That would be sweet.

I honestly don't know if there's enough story left to make a new MGS game, you know? Rising covers Robo-Raiden, MGS3/MGS PO/MGS PW all covered Naked Snake to Big Boss, and Solid Snake was the star of all the games before those. Personally, I would rather just play an updated version of games I can only play through emulators (MG1 and MG2), since it seems like all the "eras" are already covered by more modern games/remakes (MGS: Twin Snakes).

I'm afraid a completely new story would just lead to a MG Ac!d type game- the stories were kind of fun, but also weird and disconnected from the main series (not talking about gameplay, which I hope wouldn't be used at all).

Freudian Lemur

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
manobon said:
I honestly don't know if there's enough story left to make a new MGS game, you know? Rising covers Robo-Raiden, MGS3/MGS PO/MGS PW all covered Naked Snake to Big Boss, and Solid Snake was the star of all the games before those. Personally, I would rather just play an updated version of games I can only play through emulators (MG1 and MG2), since it seems like all the "eras" are already covered by more modern games/remakes (MGS: Twin Snakes).

I'm afraid a completely new story would just lead to a MG Ac!d type game- the stories were kind of fun, but also weird and disconnected from the main series (not talking about gameplay, which I hope wouldn't be used at all).
Hmm, true I guess. Maybe completely re-make the original Metal Gear in the style of the MGS games! Call it MGS: Origins, or some other clichéd title.

manobon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haha YES, Absolutely- I don't know why such stupid titles are effective, but they are. Maybe I should put down money on that amazon pre-order...

Daizu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... I was really hoping it would be MGS3 that was being remade/ported. MGS3 is one of my favorite games of all time and it'd be cool to be able to play it on the go.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that Kojima let the cat out of the bag, there's a whole slew of new info about MGS 3DS. I'll just start listing some of the many details that were said-

- Started working on the demo after Peace Walker was finished
- Kojima called some of his staff over, told them they’d make an E3 demo, and moved them to a seperate floor
- “Long Version” of the demo was created first, but Nintendo wanted it to be shorter so more people could play
- There was a long version at E3, but most people played the short version
- Demo based on Metal Gear Solid 3, with redone characters, backgrounds with high polygon models
- Kojima feels it’s necessary to release the game within one year of the 3DS’ launch

QUOTE said:
“It was a secret project, so even at Kojima Productions, aside from the people developing the demo, no one knew about it. Although, we did make it with the Peace Walker staff…The high level models are about the same quality as the stuff we made on the PlayStation 3, although it’s tough to see this. If we’d had a bit more time, we could have made something better…I was the director of the demo. What will happen from here on out is not set…What we wanted to do this time is show that we’re making an entry in the Metal Gear Solid franchise that can be enjoyed in goggle-free 3D on the 3DS. The reason we made it based off MGS3 is because there are many who played MGS for the first time through Peace Walker, so we though the timing would be just right. Everyone wants to know the story of The Boss. MGS3?s story can’t change, so we’re thinking of Co-ops, 3D and portable-like elements.”

So it would appear that he's still considering remaking MGS3 for the 3DS. And more interestingly is that he's given us some really cool hints at the power of the 3DS' gpu. Looks like this thing is a beast, with some features that can make games look comparable to some PS3 games. We already know the 3DS is using a GPU called the Pica200, but we don't know some of the more important aspects such as clock speed, memory, and potential polygon count. From what Kojima says though, it sounds like the 3DS can easily match or beat the best of last gen's consoles or portables. It has some shader tricks that none of those systems can do as well. I can't wait to learn more about the tech specs of the system, specific ones!
tongue.gif

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/44363/

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a shame that I never took to the Solid games. I'd be open to remakes of the original titles so long as they cut the cutscenes down. Cutscenes on handheld consoles never keep my attention.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
KingVamp said:
Nollog said:
I wish that troll would stay on the sony platform where trolls are welcome.
What are you talking about?

and

As for this game .... Awesome!!!
tongue.gif
Kojima's a troll.
First he makes a 3d demo for nintendo and says it's just a showcase and the game isn't something he's working on, then he says he was working on it but passed it on to the other people in his company, then he said he wasn't making a 3d game, then he says he is, then he says this.

Can he just shut up?
I don't even like metal gear games, they're **** in my opinion.

Gundam Eclipse

True Demon Route
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
Nollog said:
KingVamp said:
Nollog said:
I wish that troll would stay on the sony platform where trolls are welcome.
What are you talking about?

and

As for this game .... Awesome!!!
tongue.gif
Kojima's a troll.
First he makes a 3d demo for nintendo and says it's just a showcase and the game isn't something he's working on, then he says he was working on it but passed it on to the other people in his company, then he said he wasn't making a 3d game, then he says he is, then he says this.

Can he just shut up?
I don't even like metal gear games, they're **** in my opinion.
Then why even pay attention to any news article about Metal Gear?
I say you are the troll.

Ontopic: Holy. Shit. I haven't really had the opportunity to play any Metal Gear games till now, but i can't wait to try it out on the 3DS! I have always wanted to try the series, though since i am getting a PSP soon, my first MG game might be on that console instead.
Awesome piece of news.

Saloma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Freudian Lemur said:
manobon said:

The games are so ancient that a remake would pretty much be an entirely new game, anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Audiophiles are the usual scammers, its like promoting radioactive materials...