Hardware Knocked my 3DS off my bed..

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I just accidentally knocked my 3DS off my bed >.>

I have Luma and B9S installed, and it will show my splash screen, but after that, a black screen with permanent blue LED. No wireless turn on or anything. I'm assuming I knocked the NAND chip or something. Can anyone give potential diagnosis/solution?

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
My latest NAND backup is from 10 months ago (woops) so I don't want to restore it.

Backing up my NAND, what should happen? Will it make a successful NAND backup if it is still in tact? If not will it error out?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You may have actually knocked something loose. B9S actually boots so early, that it beats most of the hardware's boot cycles. I had something like this happen over the Summer.
https://gbatemp.net/entry/3ds-repairs.11371/
TL: DR version, my wireless card was loose, so I just had to gently push it back into place. But my CFW and payloads could be accessed because they booted before the wireless card.

Last edited by The Catboy,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Any idea on *what* it could be? It fell and hit the ground on the hinge side.
The 3DS doesn't have that many parts that aren't soldered down. So it could be any of those that could have gotten knocked loose.
Hell, chances are it's the wireless card because that's the easiest part to knock out

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The 3DS doesn't have that many parts that aren't soldered down. So it could be any of those that could have gotten knocked loose.
Hell, chances are it's the wireless card because that's the easiest part to knock out

Alright well I asked my dad to take a look at it tomorrow and he is going to open it up and see what is inside there. Currently making a NAND backup to see if it completes.

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Alright well I asked my dad to take a look at it tomorrow and he is going to open it up and see what is inside there. Currently making a NAND backup to see if it completes.
I wish you luck! Your situation does sound spot onto what happened to me. If that is the case, it's a super easy fix!

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I wish you luck! Your situation does sound spot onto what happened to me. If that is the case, it's a super easy fix!

How do you go about fixing it? Just open the back and it'll just be something loose? Also where is the wireless card incase that is what it is, so I don't have to try work it out (I'm really not good with hardware electronic things)

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How do you go about fixing it? Just open the back and it'll just be something loose? Also where is the wireless card incase that is what it is, so I don't have to try work it out (I'm really not good with hardware electronic things)
Go on ifixit. You'll need some screwdrivers (PH00 and possibly smaller) and a spudger although if you're really reckless (like me) you can use a flat head to remove any ribbon cables.
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+Teardown/5029
Should've asked before, what model is it?

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Really it's as simple as opening the system and gently pressing down the suspected part. In this case, I would suggest looking for the wireless card because it's the most common part to knock loose and also easy to spot. Seriously it just looks like a generic wireless card
5PCS-For-font-b-3DS-b-font-font-b-Wireless-b-font-Network-Adapter-Card-WIFI.jpg
Then loosely reassemble the 3DS and test it.
If it works, yay!
If not, then keep gently resetting all the loose part until it works.

Nintendo proper are super codependent on every part of the hardware being there. So any loose part will cause issues.

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Really it's as simple as opening the system and gently pressing down the suspected part. In this case, I would suggest looking for the wireless card because it's the most common part to knock loose and also easy to spot. Seriously it just looks like a generic wireless card
View attachment 87717
Then loosely reassemble the 3DS and test it.
If it works, yay!
If not, then keep gently resetting all the loose part until it works.

Nintendo proper are super codependent on every part of the hardware being there. So any loose part will cause issues.

Alright well I'll see tomorrow. Hopefully this is the problem, my 3DS is the only console I own x.x

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I tried to turn my 3DS on today and it seems to be working again, I have no idea why it wasn't working last night but it's working fine now :D Didn't even need to open it up, I just turned it on and bam, working again :D

Reactions: naddel81

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission