Knocked my 3DS off my bed..

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by bobfacemoo, May 21, 2017.

1. bobfacemoo
    OP

bobfacemoo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2016
    So I just accidentally knocked my 3DS off my bed >.>

I have Luma and B9S installed, and it will show my splash screen, but after that, a black screen with permanent blue LED. No wireless turn on or anything. I'm assuming I knocked the NAND chip or something. Can anyone give potential diagnosis/solution?

2. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    can you run any payloads or luma settings from the startup?

3. bobfacemoo
    OP

bobfacemoo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2016
    Yep I can run GodMode9 (the only payload I have). It's when it TRIES to load the home menu/system that I just get a black screen.

4. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    the only thing I would try is to try backup NAND. Or the other way try to restore backuped NAND.

5. yacepi15

yacepi15 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 15, 2015
    Antarctica
    Try to create an emuNAND in a spare SD card, or restore a NAND backup. If the NAND were broken, A9LH wouldnt trigger.

jamezfat likes this.
  6. bobfacemoo
    OP

bobfacemoo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2016
    My latest NAND backup is from 10 months ago (woops) so I don't want to restore it.

Backing up my NAND, what should happen? Will it make a successful NAND backup if it is still in tact? If not will it error out?

7. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    It shouldnť give you errors if NAND chip is fully working. But how @yaacepi15 said, if the chip is somehow broken, it won't trigger a9lh

8. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    You may have actually knocked something loose. B9S actually boots so early, that it beats most of the hardware's boot cycles. I had something like this happen over the Summer.
    https://gbatemp.net/entry/3ds-repairs.11371/
    TL: DR version, my wireless card was loose, so I just had to gently push it back into place. But my CFW and payloads could be accessed because they booted before the wireless card.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, May 21, 2017
  9. bobfacemoo
    OP

bobfacemoo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2016
    Any idea on *what* it could be? It fell and hit the ground on the hinge side.

10. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    ribbon cables. I don't think there is something else that can be loosen somehow

11. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    The 3DS doesn't have that many parts that aren't soldered down. So it could be any of those that could have gotten knocked loose.
    Hell, chances are it's the wireless card because that's the easiest part to knock out

12. bobfacemoo
    OP

bobfacemoo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2016
    Alright well I asked my dad to take a look at it tomorrow and he is going to open it up and see what is inside there. Currently making a NAND backup to see if it completes.

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  13. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    I wish you luck! Your situation does sound spot onto what happened to me. If that is the case, it's a super easy fix!

14. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    Lol "knocked my nand chip"

I had something similar happen with my wifi card on my n3ds like @Crystal the Glaceon

15. TheDarkGreninja

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    *magical double post*

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja, May 21, 2017 - Reason: double post
  16. bobfacemoo
    OP

bobfacemoo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2016
    How do you go about fixing it? Just open the back and it'll just be something loose? Also where is the wireless card incase that is what it is, so I don't have to try work it out (I'm really not good with hardware electronic things)

17. TheDarkGreninja

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    Go on ifixit. You'll need some screwdrivers (PH00 and possibly smaller) and a spudger although if you're really reckless (like me) you can use a flat head to remove any ribbon cables.
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+Teardown/5029
    Should've asked before, what model is it?

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  18. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Really it's as simple as opening the system and gently pressing down the suspected part. In this case, I would suggest looking for the wireless card because it's the most common part to knock loose and also easy to spot. Seriously it just looks like a generic wireless card
    5PCS-For-font-b-3DS-b-font-font-b-Wireless-b-font-Network-Adapter-Card-WIFI.jpg
    Then loosely reassemble the 3DS and test it.
    If it works, yay!
    If not, then keep gently resetting all the loose part until it works.

Nintendo proper are super codependent on every part of the hardware being there. So any loose part will cause issues.

19. bobfacemoo
    OP

bobfacemoo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2016
    Alright well I'll see tomorrow. Hopefully this is the problem, my 3DS is the only console I own x.x

20. bobfacemoo
    OP

bobfacemoo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2016
    Well I tried to turn my 3DS on today and it seems to be working again, I have no idea why it wasn't working last night but it's working fine now :D Didn't even need to open it up, I just turned it on and bam, working again :D

naddel81 likes this.