Kingdom Hearts series launches on the Switch this February, available only through cloud streaming

During the last Sakurai Presents livestream demonstrating Sora from Kingdom Hearts being added to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, a small tease was made that the Kingdom Hearts series would be coming to the Nintendo Switch. New information has been revealed regarding the ports, including the release date. As mentioned during their announcement, Kingdom Hearts 1.5, 2.5, 2.8, and 3 will all be on the Switch, but with the caveat that they'll be relegated to cloud-stream only titles. Additionally, the cloud collection will also be arriving in the west, with a planned launch date of February 10th. If you're curious as to how the game will run on your connection, demos are available to download on the Nintendo eShop as of right now.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm with others on this one in thinking the Switch should've been capable of playing at least the first two games via a native port, but I do have to say I was impressed with the Hitman 3 Cloud Edition. Grabbed it on sale over Christmas and it's been a great way of playing the game around the house. Works far better than I imagined it would.

CloudStrife1901

Trophies
XP
Country
Instead of charging full price for these so called cloud ports why don't they make a service where you could rent them out? Like how blockbuster and other rental companies did years ago

Reactions: Scarlet

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Instead of charging full price for these so called cloud ports why don't they make a service where you could rent them out? Like how blockbuster and other rental companies did years ago
Big agree on this. A unified cloud arcade where you buy play time that could be used across every cloud game would actually be such great system.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm with others on this one in thinking the Switch should've been capable of playing at least the first two games via a native port, but I do have to say I was impressed with the Hitman 3 Cloud Edition. Grabbed it on sale over Christmas and it's been a great way of playing the game around the house. Works far better than I imagined it would.
I think it could even handle the third game as long as Square Enix optimized it for Switch. I'd be absolutely fine with 30 FPS with lower quality textures, and lower quality effects (both visual effects like special attacks and post processing and AA), k
if it meant the game worked natively. I don't want to use PC requirements as an example, but Doom Eternal runs on Switch and on PC that has higher requirements than KH3. So I don't see why with similar concessions why Kingdom Hearts 3 couldn't be ported.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think it could even handle the third game as long as Square Enix optimized it for Switch. I'd be absolutely fine with 30 FPS with lower quality textures, and lower quality effects (both visual effects like special attacks and post processing and AA), k
if it meant the game worked natively. I don't want to use PC requirements as an example, but Doom Eternal runs on Switch and on PC that has higher requirements than KH3. So I don't see why with similar concessions why Kingdom Hearts 3 couldn't be ported.
Those Doom ports are a work of art though, they're really impressive. I wouldn't expect that from every Switch port, but I suppose it does show the capability is there with the right developer.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My thought exactly. Pay full price and play for a couple of years before it becomes absolutely useless...
The same argument can be said of priced multiplayer-centric (or -only) games; I believe this applies to such venerated series like Call of Duty and Battlefield - except here, it's rarely even half a decade; these games revolve around retaining a playerbase, so it's often only a year, if that, before they become "useless".

Saying that, I am definitely fully against such temporary priced games; if you wanna charge us for these, make it notably cheaper than the more 'permanent' versions to make up for the limited availability.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: being sick still sucks