KH BBS question

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Blaze163, Sep 13, 2010.

Sep 13, 2010

KH BBS question by Blaze163 at 3:31 PM (1,483 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Blaze163
    OP

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Lali ho.

Due to a clever little trick I know, I've acquired the collector's edition of KH BBS. The art book's awesome. But due to my total inability to think, I've suddenly realised that I may have made a ghastly cock-up. See, I'm running 5.50 Prometheus. As far as I'm aware, it can't play KH BBS without help. There is the new Prometheus 2 which can apparantly handle it, but I see on the download that it's only for use with certain PSP 2K and 3K models. I have an original phat model. Ergo that's probably not an option.

I've narrowed down my list of alternatives that I'm aware of to the following:

- Borrow my dad's PSP to play Kingdom Hearts (his is on official firmware which I can update with the UMD, and he never uses it so he won't miss it) and leave mine as is for hacked games.

- Install the new official firmware on my PSP, then use my spare battery to create a Pandora battery and revert to CFW whenever I want to play something else. Which seems a lot of effort, swapping between firmwares every time I want to play for an hour or so.

- Sell my little brother into slavery, and use the profits to buy myself a PSP 2K that works with Prometheus 2. Has the added bonus of me not having to listen to him droning on about Halo Reach like the hype fed brainless sheep that he is, but the law may take a somewhat negative stance on the whole slavery thing.

- Eat ice cream until another solution presents itself.

What should I do? Swift replies would be greatly appreciated as my net connection is rather unstable and I may not be back for some time if it dies on me.

2. Opoth

Newcomer Opoth Member

3. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    All academic now. Just booted the game up and for reasons unknown it only requires 6.20, which of course my current 5.50 Prometheus firmware can bypass. It's odd. The cute girl who works in my local store has the same game and swears hers forced an upgrade to 6.30. Maybe I have a rare F-up UMD? Or maybe she does. Either way, as far as I can tell it's working fine. Unless there are any technical issues I should be looking out for on my current firmware?

4. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    Follow Opoth's advice, install the upgraded 5.50 Prometheus, and stop being misinformed about such things.
    Really, where did you hear that 5.50 Prometheus v2 does not work on Phats? I want the source of that lie.

5. antwill

Member antwill Better Than You

Australia
    He probably got mixed up with 5.03 surely...

6. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    The source is from right here, or rather one of the links here. Filetrip. I swear it says Prometheus 2 is for certain model 2K and 3K PSP's, it never says anything about the phat being compatable. Someone should address that issue, that's what confused me. Sorry if it made me sound like I had a terminal case of the derps.

Either way, as my current firmware is playing it without issue and none of my other games require it, I'll keep the Prometheus 2 folder on my hard drive for later use, but will only upgrade when it becomes necessary, either when KHBBS cocks up and needs the new firmware or when Ace Combat X2 is released later this month. Or when I can scrape together enough money to get Valkyria Chronicles 2.

In case you're wondering why a pirate such as myself is paying good money for games, it's because my net connection is 'borrowed' and thus unstable. Until I get paid at the end of the month and have enough to finally set up my own broadband, the chances of the connection holding long enough to download 2GB games is pretty slim. So I pay for big games (anything over 600MB) and download the rest as I can just about hold it together long enough for smaller games.

7. antwill

Member antwill Better Than You

Australia
    Nice [​IMG], you steal games and other peoples' internet. Why not use torrents or something so you can resume the games later on if the connection drops? Would save you a lot of money.

8. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    I only steal the net because I was unemployed and couldn't afford it. Now I can I'll set up my own connection so the speed is constant.

Games I steal on principle. After so many years of loyalty I kinda figure the games industry owes me one [​IMG]

Only my handhelds are flashed though, my consoles are all legit and very well supported.

Not a bad idea on torrents though. I've had bad luck with them in the past but now I have my own netbook I can try again, this time hopefully without my brother downloading a program to watch Sky Sports for free, not bothering to virus scan it, and leaving our old computer convinced it was a breville sandwich toaster.

9. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Tell us more....oh and eat ice cream, dump the UMD and use ISO Tool to patch it. Does anyone use UMDs if they don't have to?

10. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I like higher battery life, less noise, and faster loading times.

But some people are masochists.

11. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    Well, if my memory stick is full and I really want that game....Yes.

12. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    I have a few bought UMDs just to say 'I have PSP games I bought, you filthy pirates'.

Other then that, I don't use UMDs, I usually dump the ISO and put it on my memory stick but for PSP2, thats another matter. I'll be going on OFW to play this game, so I don't have to mess around with PSNlover.

13. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    I didn't mean buy UMD's...i literally meant play from them! I own about 12 UMD's. I just dumped them and filed them away in drawers. I'd rather avoid the battery drain and slower game loading.

14. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    the information is correct regarding 5.03 prometheus-v2
    but it's exactly the opposite for 5.50 prometheus-v2 (it is NOT compatible with 3k, and certain 2k models)

also, the problem with the game forcing an update for some people but not all can be caused by 3 things:
    sometimes stores in europe get US games(rare, but happens) in which case it is possible to get a game that still runs on an older firmware.(i got lucky with dissidia when i bought it, US version ran on 5.03 while EU version ran on 5.50)
    and it's also possible that those people used older releases of prometheus v1, 4 releases where made of the v1 and as far as i know the newer games only work on v2, or the last release of v1. because there was no version numbering untill v2 some people might not have known a newer version was available.
    another mistake sometimes made is not enabling version.txt