Keeping FTP active on 1st Gen Vita while the screen is off

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by dabu-sapper, Aug 30, 2016.

1. dabu-sapper
    OP

dabu-sapper Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I read that keeping a still image on the OLED screen for a long period of time is bad for the screen. So is there a way to copy files over FTP via Vitashell in the standby mode/turning the screen off?

2. hii915

hii915 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    Earth, GBAtemp
    That is impossible atm but for now you can set your sleep time to 30 minutes in settings

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Actually I I cant remember how but you can edit the registry to never sleep. However If you have a vita 1000 (oled) it can cause screen burn in

3. Santaros

Santaros GBAtemp Regular

Oct 5, 2013
    It isn't something you really need to worry about, there are algorithms in place to prevent image burn in by adjusting the voltage applied to the screen. In short I wouldn't recommend constantly leaving it on a static screen, but even a few hours here and there shouldn't cause you any issues.

Sauce: https://www.google.com/patents/US20060208971

Zeroba likes this.
  4. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Heard you could upload the vpk's renamed as .mp4 via USB through QCMA and then rename them back to Vpk once its on the mc in vitashell. That would save some time leaving the screen on.

5. Blue24

Blue24 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2016
    United States
    I'm gonna try this. I was transferring files from my Android note 5 to my vita via ftp and it wouldn't transfer correctly. I would get like half of the file or it would freeze but once i set the vita to to 30mins standby it seemed to fix the problem

6. aenoch

aenoch GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 23, 2015
    United States
    Ludington, Michigan
    Which ftp client donyou use on android intried 3 differentnones and could not connect

7. hii915

hii915 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    Earth, GBAtemp
    turbo

8. the3dsguy

the3dsguy GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2014
    Canada
    I went to bestbuy 2 days ago to look for a vita. the display model has horrible image burned into it. very very bad image burn. i shouldve taken a picture. it was literally 2/3 of the device

9. Blue24

Blue24 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2016
    United States
    Yes i use Turbo

10. jastolze

jastolze GBAtemp Fan

May 2, 2012
    United States
    This is kinda off topic but often, my Vitas wifi will disable itself during usage of molecular shell (not in the middle of a transfer) I haven't installed the third update of henkaku but was wondering why it does that. I did disable automatic updates and shortly after I noticed that it started happening. Could that be related?

11. ggl0l

ggl0l Member

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2015
    Serbia, Republic of
    Moscow
    @jastolze probably related to power saving. go to options then power saving and look there for wi-fi option

jastolze likes this.
  12. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    You went to best buy and took a look at a display model and were you surprised to see it screen burned?... A system that is on probably from 7 AM in the morning when managers arrive and turn on all the equipment until 10 PM at night when the store closes... Everyday...

Not that you will be using the system from 7 AM - 10 PM non stop to be scared the same thing will happen you know...

ih8ih8sn0w likes this.
  13. SonsofOcelot

SonsofOcelot Shalashaska

Aug 4, 2016
    Canada
    Kamurocho
    You can always looking press the ps button to bring up that sub menu thing. That won't affect transfers. Also I thought flow was working on a change for Vitashell and Vitamin that would allow the screen to go dark while not interrupting the transfers/dumps

14. Juiss

Juiss GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    France
    Don't worry about it, it takes hours before an image gets burnt in. You may get some image retention but that shouldn't stay too long.

Now if you're planning on filling your 64gb mem card in one go, then yea, don't.

15. Chrisssj2

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    I have the same issue! and my power saving optiions are correct.

jastolze likes this.
  16. dabu-sapper
    OP

dabu-sapper Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2015
    Gambia, The
    VitaShell 0.91 apparently added my request.
    If you start copying files over ftp, the screen turns off after some minutes and vitashell still runs in the background.

Awesome work TheFloW!

ashinnblunts likes this.