Kalypso Acquires 'Commandos' IP And Plans To Bring The Series Back

commandos-es.PNG

Kalypso Media Group, the publisher of Tropico, has announced that it has acquired Pyro Studios franchises. The latter studio is known for developing the stealth-oriented real-time tactics video game series Commandos which debuted in 1998 and had its latest installment released in 2006.

In addition to future releases, this acquisition covers all distribution rights to the entire series thus far, including Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines, Commandos 2: Men of Courage, Commandos 3: Destination Berlin and Commandos: Strike Force, as well as Pyro Studios’ other titles, such as Imperial Glory and Praetorians.

“We are very proud and extremely honored to be able to add such large and successful brands as Commandos, Praetorians and Imperial Glory to the Kalypso Media portfolio” commented Simon Hellwig, founder and Global Managing Director of the Kalypso Media Group, “The opportunities that arise from this acquisition will help create the best possible conditions for the further growth of the Kalypso Media Group.”

Ignacio Pérez, founder of Pyro Studios, adds: “We have been looking for a suitable partner for the continuation of our products and brands for a long time. Kalypso has great expertise and experience with rebooting well-known titles, and we are delighted to have our IP in such good hands.”

Hellwig further adds that "we see it as our responsibility to want to revive and further develop these beloved games for the fans around the world. Of course, this will include the development of a completely new games for all platforms, but also an extensive adaptation of the existing titles for contemporary technologies and platforms. We’re incredibly excited about the opportunities, and will begin speaking to potential development studios in the near future."

While no explicit mention was made of a new or remastered Commandos game being in the works, Kalypso definitely intends to do so. However, it might be a while before we hear more.

:arrow: SOURCE

matthi321

Trophies
XP
Country
thats nice i remeber playing behind commandos behind enemy lines when i was little, and constantly had to autoload an save cus i was spotted constantly lol

Reactions: DS1

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i bought all commandos on STEAM but unfortunately devs have stopped to support them many years ago, i was so disappointed cauz not even single one works on modern machine :(

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm kind of more interested in a new Desperados than a new Commandos though
That's actually not impossible anymore. THQ Nordic has the rights for Desperados since 2013 and they showed in the past that they try to recover forgotten IPs they bought instead of handle it the EA way (e.g. The Guild 3, Spellforce 3 and a freaking expansion for Titan Quest. A expansion for a game released in 2006). Also THQ Nordic owns Black Forest Games which is the succesor company of Spellbound who made the Desperado games and they released just a couple of days ago a patch for the first Desperado to make it work better on Win10, current macOS and current Linux systems. Who knows, maybe they already cooking something.

Reactions: DS1

DigitalRain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Honestly, the games are old enough now that they've kind of faded into obscurity. They could do a high quality remake, keeping the campaigns but on a new engine and I'd still pay full price.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sorry guys i had to go