JXD S7800? Seems like a pretty obscure device.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly SuperGNES (apart from the nice interface with the boxarts) really isn't very good. You should at least try the one we mentioned in Snes9x Ex+ (its free on the store anyway) it really is THE best emulator, and by some margin. Its pretty much 100 percent perfect emulation.

This. SuperGnes doesn't say what version it's based off of, I just heard a sample of how the sound emulation, trust me, it ain't close to 1.53 at all :P Not trying to grasp at straws here, but help educate and let people know that Snes9x EX+ is free and has prefect audio :D

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly SuperGNES (apart from the nice interface with the boxarts) really isn't very good. You should at least try the one we mentioned in Snes9x Ex+ (its free on the store anyway) it really is THE best emulator, and by some margin. Its pretty much 100 percent perfect emulation.

I will give it a try, no reason I can't have both :) besides free is awesome!!! lol

I have a recommendation for a system optimizer that free'd up about 300MB's of RAM and cleaned some of the crap that auto starts that I couldn't read (some Chinese advertisement thing...) It was also free from the Google play store and it worked better than than that Kill Ap thing. I just wish I could remember the exact name... Wife still clutching on to my toy!!! lol (May need to get another one.)

Edit: ES Task Manager it is fantastic and free and can do all kinds of stuff.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will give it a try, no reason I can't have both :) besides free is awesome!!! lol

I have a recommendation for a system optimizer that free'd up about 300MB's of RAM and cleaned some of the crap that auto starts that I couldn't read (some Chinese advertisement thing...) It was also free from the Google play store and it worked better than than that Kill Ap thing. I just wish I could remember the exact name... Wife still clutching on to my toy!!! lol (May need to get another one.)

The S7800 is looking more and more appealing TBH :D

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

This is what Snes9xEx+ sounds like

This is what SuperGNES will sound like

Listen for the bats and the thunder about 30 seconds into both

Things like this unless you use the best emulator will be commonplace. Dont settle for second best :lol:

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, that second video sounds horrible! :rofl2: My guess is that it's either Zsnes (which is sorely outdated and has a horrible S-SMP core), or Snes9x prior to version 1.52. Pretty much this, Snes9x EX/Snes9x Next is the way to go.

Reactions: kristianity77

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, that second video sounds horrible! :rofl2: My guess is that it's either Zsnes (which is sorely outdated and has a horrible S-SMP core), or Snes9x prior to version 1.52.

I think anything prior to Snes9x 1.53 (and my favourite PC Snes emulator SNESGT) all have the same issues with sound. It was actually SNESGT that got it right, quite a ways before Snes9x did but unfortunately SNESGT remained totally unknown really and unused which was a shame.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The S7800 is looking more and more appealing TBH :D

The other machine you are looking at, the largest downside I can see to is is that 1GB of RAM, other than that one thing they have some trade off's. I think the other one looks more ergonomic but the JXD seems perfectly fine for my meaty mitts (It's actually more comfy to hold than the Wii-U controller, probably because it's lighter?)

That RAM thing though could be a pain in the butt, in the future.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think anything prior to Snes9x 1.53 (and my favourite PC Snes emulator SNESGT) all have the same issues with sound. It was actually SNESGT that got it right, quite a ways before Snes9x did but unfortunately SNESGT remained totally unknown really and unused which was a shame.

1.52 is when the new core was implemented (Snes9x GX on Wii didn't have it for a while), but 1.53 fixed a few major bugs that 1.52 didn't resolve, 1.51 sounds like garbage, and 1.43, well, you get the idea lol. SnesGT is a very good emulator, it too had an awesome sound core, but I haven't seen any updates for it in quite a while. The true way to test Snes9x accuracy is Lavos' scream in Chrono Trigger, Bsnes and Snes9x are the only ones to get it right :D

The other machine you are looking at, the largest downside I can see to is is that 1GB of RAM, other than that one thing they have some trade off's. I think the other one looks more ergonomic but the JXD seems perfectly fine for my meaty mitts (It's actually more comfy to hold than the Wii-U controller, probably because it's lighter?)

That RAM thing though could be a pain in the butt, in the future.
I was told that the 1 GB difference is marginal at best and doesn't have that much of an impact :P

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Honestly, you never ever have to use a task killer on this. You might think that freeing up 300mb of ram is doing you a favour but in effect, it really isnt. You'll never ever have ram issues with this device I promise you. All your doing is draining the battery quicker. Having bits of a program sitting in RAM isn't doing anything at all except making it load quicker next time you use it, which is less time thrashing the CPU to open programs.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, you never ever have to use a task killer on this. You might think that freeing up 300mb of ram is doing you a favour but in effect, it really isnt. You'll never ever have ram issues with this device I promise you. All your doing is draining the battery quicker. Having bits of a program sitting in RAM isn't doing anything at all except making it load quicker next time you use it, which is less time thrashing the CPU to open programs.

Either way, Android will take some getting used to, I'm not familiar with it at all, but it can't be that hard to get used too ;) Emulation will be the primary purpose, but other tasks will be done with it too :P

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd mentioned before somewhere that even though the S7800 has 2gb of RAM compared to the 1GB in the G5a, in reality, it makes absolutely sod all difference. Ive not once since I had this device dipped into the 2nd GB of memory that I have according to an app that shows live stats. The most I've ever had it take up in one go is about 700mb, and thats with pretty much everything having been opened and closed (no task killer).

Android actually has a very decent memory management feature going on in the background. Its probably in all fairness way better than what you get with Windows, and people dont rush to clear cache every 5 minutes on that do they ;)

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd mentioned before somewhere that even though the S7800 has 2gb of RAM compared to the 1GB in the G5a, in reality, it makes absolutely sod all difference. Ive not once since I had this device dipped into the 2nd GB of memory that I have according to an app that shows live stats. The most I've ever had it take up in one go is about 700mb, and thats with pretty much everything having been opened and closed (no task killer).

Android actually has a very decent memory management feature going on in the background. Its probably in all fairness way better than what you get with Windows, and people dont rush to clear cache every 5 minutes on that do they ;)

So for emulators:

Snes - Snes9x EX+ or Snes9x Next in RetroArch (unconventional GUI, meh, don't care lol)
PS1 - ePSXe 1.9.0
Genesis - MD.emu or Genesis Plus in RetroArch (one of the most accurate MD/Genesis emulators)
NES - Not sure
GBA - Might need suggestions for that too, probably RetroArch VBA Next
N64....
Crap...yeah, I don't know what the other recommend emulators are (as in top of the line for other consoles) :D

But the device you have now, the S7800, has been fairly reliable/stable?

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok maybe some one can give me a hand... lol On the upper left hand side of the screen there is a notification bad? where you slide down and you can see what is going on.

On my JXD it has some odd chinese writing that pops up and it just loads what looks like an add for an app? I can't read any of it and I would like to stop seeing it... lol

Is there a way to stop it? (Is it an SMS thing?)

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So for emulators:

Snes - Snes9x EX+ or Snes9x Next in RetroArch (unconventional GUI, meh, don't care lol)
PS1 - ePSXe 1.9.0
Genesis - MD.emu or Genesis Plus in RetroArch (one of the most accurate MD/Genesis emulators)
NES - Not sure
GBA - Might need suggestions for that too, probably RetroArch VBA Next
N64....
Crap...yeah, I don't know what the other recommend emulators are (as in top of the line for other consoles) :D

But the device you have now, the S7800, has been fairly reliable/stable?

Nes - Nes.emu
GBA - GBA.emu
N64 - I couldnt really find anything that worked as well as I liked, but Mupen64 seemed like the best of a bad bunch.
Snes - Snes9x Ex+
Neo Geo - Neo.emu
PC Engine - PCE.emu
PS1 - epsxe 1.9
DS - Drastic

To be honest, the entire .EMU series of emulators by Robert Broglia are just hands down the best. All the interfaces are identical and hes just starting to implement graphical filters into all his emulators (which admittedly are not working yet for the Mali400 GPU which is what is in the device - but it will do) which give you video filters to sharpen the graphics (i think its H2QL or something - you get them in the PC SNES9x anyway)

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok maybe some one can give me a hand... lol On the upper right hand side of the screen there is a notification bad? where you slide down and you can see what is going on.

On my JXD it has some odd chinese writing that pops up and it just loads what looks like an add for an app? I can't read any of it and I would like to stop seeing it... lol

Is there a way to stop it? (Is it an SMS thing?)

Thats most likely your Happy Chick app or whatever its called.

This is why, when you start to get more familiar with the device, you'll want to look into the Custom Firmwares, they get rid of all the bloatware so stuff like that doesn't happen.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nes - Nes.emu
GBA - GBA.emu
N64 - I couldnt really find anything that worked as well as I liked, but Mupen64 seemed like the best of a bad bunch.
Snes - Snes9x Ex+
Neo Geo - Neo.emu
PC Engine - PCE.emu
PS1 - epsxe 1.9
DS - Drastic

To be honest, the entire .EMU series of emulators by Robert Broglia are just hands down the best. All the interfaces are identical and hes just starting to implement graphical filters into all his emulators (which admittedly are not working yet for the Mali400 GPU which is what is in the device - but it will do) which give you video filters to sharpen the graphics (i think its H2QL or something - you get them in the PC SNES9x anyway)

Thanks for the heads up! Doesn't the filtering make them run slower though?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the heads up! Doesn't the filtering make them run slower though?

It probably would do on an older device, but it will still run smooth on this.

You can get an app called SetCPU if you want to get more technical, which is basically an app to control the CPU speed of your device. I use this on mine all the time. Basically you find that some emulators will still run perfectly if you slow the device down to 25% of its capacity. So yeah, there is a lot of headroom left in these devices :lol:

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It probably would do on an older device, but it will still run smooth on this.

You can get an app called SetCPU if you want to get more technical, which is basically an app to control the CPU speed of your device. I use this on mine all the time. Basically you find that some emulators will still run perfectly if you slow the device down to 25% of its capacity. So yeah, there is a lot of headroom left in these devices :lol:

Dang, didn't know that they were THAT powerful or capable, nice!

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats most likely your Happy Chick app or whatever its called.

This is why, when you start to get more familiar with the device, you'll want to look into the Custom Firmwares, they get rid of all the bloatware so stuff like that doesn't happen.

Yeah that alone makes me want to do CFW ASAP, if I open them to look at them the best thing I can come up with is it is some sort of phone sex thing... Spam I can recognize in any language lol

The worst part of it is to clear it out of the notification area you must open it, but once open it is a pain to get out of since none of it is in English.

Happy Chick... lol your probably right about that being the culprit.

Edit: The reason I say phone sex thing is the pictures of half naked Asian women... well I assume women (they all look like they are 12 to me...) and the app it tries to install says "This may cost you money" lol

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dang, didn't know that they were THAT powerful or capable, nice!

You couldnt run filters on anything past 16 bit though admittedly. If someone managed to incorporate it into the PSX emu or Drastic or PPSSPP, that would bring it to its knees lol But yeah, any console up to the SNES, GBA and Neo Geo, will run the filters nicely when propely implemented.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    but its a custom os for both of them
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    designed for only specific hardware
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    so you have to learn to emulate that specific hardware which isn't as easy as you'd think
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's a locked down Linux distro basically
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think the only custom hardware is to do with the SSD and a security chip
    Probably combined in one chip
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They place married security chips onto boards iirc
    Damn Frontier is offering 5Gbps now lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I honestly can't recommend any of the big 3 this years I'd say buy a rog ally z1 if we're being honest
    Honestly after the PS3 and 360 I just went full PC
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Every games basically cross platform they only have about 6 titles making it worth the $600 price tag
    Didn't see much need for a console, all the advantages have kind of disappeared
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    the ps3 used to support installing linux because the cpu was so powerful
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then the games are $70 and they want to reboot and refresh the same game every year
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The ps3 was always Linux they just found a way to make it open source
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    I'm avoiding buying from the big 3 at all atm
    At one point PC game pads where poorly supported, loading a game had setup, it was complicated. Now it's almost as easy as a console.
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    nintendo needs to up their game soon
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah even bt support for Xbox one controllers are just as easy as pairing
    +1
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    considering the steamdeck can emulate the switch (yikes) theres almost 0 reason to buy the switch apart from playing online and using cartridges
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Xinput and 360 dongles were a driver nightmare
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember having to manually put in drivers and what not
    Yeah the 360 dongles sucked
    But the new Xbox pads? PIr it up and if a game supports it it just works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most emulators even automatically detect them now
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Most emulators even automatically detect them now