Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello there
biggrin.gif

I bought an AceKard 2i to use in my DSP, however, one of the most important things to me is the battery life (my battery's old, but i'm gonna change it and want it to last a lot).

The problem is, the battery lasted for 60% of the time playing the same game on catridge.

So I need another chip, because AK2i consumes much more power than the "non-i" AKs, i could buy the AK2, but I heard it has some bugs and doesn't support SDs bigger than 8GB.

I thought a R4 SDHC would be nice, as it seems to have low power consumption, however, the reviews about homebrew on it are pretty bad. It doesn't seem to have good homebrew compatibility and i'm buying a flashcart mostly to run homebrews, because i don't mind to carry cartridges for games.

The three most important homebrews to me are DSnotes, Colors and Moonlight.

So, which FC should I buy? I don't mind to patch things as long as it works.

Thanks.

Salax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rule of thumb: don't get any cart that is "LetterNumber", unless it is M3
lecture.gif
. I don't know about power consumption really, though.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just avoid every R4 you see out there, and you'll be fine.

The SuperCard DSOne is pretty good as in regard to homebrew, but I doubt you'll still find the non-i version out there. Still, it might be worth a try.

Otherwise, if you feel like paying a lot, try to search for a CycloDS Evolution. They touted some "special battery saving mode" in one of the latest updates, so you might find what you seek in it.

Repgahroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks guys.

I just found that it may be the fact that i was using a SDHC card, and a microSD would provide better autonomy. Also, it seems that during the sleep mode the SD has to be energized.

I'm almost "unreturning" my AK2i, because cyclo seems to have the same problem, and i couldn't find any AK2.1 black or blue, only those AK2.

Is it possible to use a microSD (not HC) on it? Is it true that the batt would last longer?

Thanks

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Finding an original R4 would be virtually impossible now. CycloDS has a Battery Saver mode, although I don't know how much power that actually saves.

Gariscus

Former Team Cyclops Mod
Trophies
XP
Country
ProtoKun7 said:
Finding an original R4 would be virtually impossible now. CycloDS has a Battery Saver mode, although I don't know how much power that actually saves.
It would be almost impossible to determine. However I do recall reading on Team Cyclops Forums that it saves about an hour...

Repgahroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks guys. CycloDS is just impossible to buy in my country.

The options are:

Acekard 2i
Acekard 2 (not 2.1)
R4 SDHC
R4 (cheap)
R4 (quality, costs twice the above, it's apparently the same, but comes with all the (well-pirated) accessories)
R4 Pocket
R4 Upgrade SDHC
DSTT
TTDS (don't know if it's the same as above)
M3i Zero

Sometimes it's possible to find other used flashcarts, but I don't want to count on it.

Also, maybe i'm gonna "adapt" an 2000mah DSL battery on my DSP, so battery time would not be that problem.
I think i'm gonna unreturn my AKi while i have time, or i'm gonna lost 15% of what i paid. Unless one of the listed carts does what i want.

Thanks guys!
biggrin.gif

Leonidas

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Interesting, I've never noticed such a high drain on my Acekard 2i. although I do use a 1GB micro SD. Be sure to doublecheck the System options, in case the Brightness level is set too high. I also have a R4 SDHC from www.r4sdhc.com (using 2GB on it) and I think it consumes less power than Acekard 2i, but the difference isn't much. However I wouldn't recommend R4 because the support is shaky. And btw, the original Acekard 2 isn't sold anymore, and you better not ask for it, because it had a common manufacturing defect. Nowadays you can buy Ak2.1 or Ak2i.

Repgahroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you very much guys!

Leonidas; They don't sell AK2.1, just the older 2 version. Maybe it's pirated... or maybe it's the 2.1 version and the guys don't know and sell as 2. Also, i'm gonna buy a 4gb microSD (not HC) to test because i'm unreturning my Ak2i.

The batt is very old actually, and I surely need a new one, but i think this is proporcional, using the AK the battery drains almost twice faster, so doesn't matter if it was 4hs and now 2hs, or was 30m and now 15m.

Thanks guys.

Leonidas

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
The Ak2i shouldn't drain 40% of your battery for itself. That's insane. Because the only difference between official cartridge and flashcart is the microcontroller, responsible for transferring data to and from the micro SD card. Heck, even the iplayer cart doesn't drain that much, and it has internal hardware for video decoding. It must be a bad battery or faulty brightness settings.

Kinqdra

GBAtemp's Official T-shirt
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Rockstar said:
just buy a new battery instead
What! There is a 4 gig non sdhc card? Please post the link, I was trying to find one of those but I never did.
EDIT: oh yeah, stick with the acekard, if you really need another one buy the m3i zero

Repgahroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
dorian7890 said:
Rockstar said:
just buy a new battery instead
What! There is a 4 gig non sdhc card? Please post the link, I was trying to find one of those but I never did.
EDIT: oh yeah, stick with the acekard, if you really need another one buy the m3i zero

Yes, it's true. There are 4GB non-hc cards, however, I just changed my mind and don't want to buy a 4GB one after reading this:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=79115

I was not able to find em on eBay, but in my country it's easy to find them but they are known to work well only with mp6~15 players and cellphones.

Here are some announcement on the "pirated eBay" of my country:
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-133...icro-sd-4gb-_JM
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-132...rete-gratis-_JM
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-123...4gb-oem-ms4-_JM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work