Hacking Just got the Wiikey.

Magellan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I've just got a Wiikey and I've spent the last hours researching what I can and what I can't do, please help me clear some things up.

From what I've read, I can update my Wii firmware without any problems since the chip will continue to work, right?

I've got a PAL Wii, I still don't understand if with the Wiikey I can play PAL backups and if there is any problem in playing NTSC U or J backups, and can someone tell me what is the incompatibility with the updates that come with the games from different regions?

Final question two questions, to update the Wiikey what kind of DVD and which size do I need to have to burn the updates? I suppose the backups should also be burned in the same type of DVD but can someone confirm it?

Thank you very much, sorry to make noob questions, but I'm afraid to make any mistake.

pewpz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you don't have the latest firmware installed and you pop in certain new games out of your region, it may try to update your Wii with an incompatible one, possibly bricking it. Manually update your firmware before playing a new game for the first time and you'll be fine... or just check the forums for possible issues.

You can use any compatible blank. Some people have issues with certain brands, but I use generic disks and never had any problems.

bug

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When a game tries to update the firmware, does it give you an option to cancel out of it? Or does it just proceed without permission?

It would be nice if someone eventually figured out a way to strip the update out of the games.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, I was thinking.

If someone with a PAL Wii had a 2.1E system software and used Super Paper Mario to update their Wii, but keep it at 2.1E. What would happen if they let a game update their console to 2.2U?

Cause isn't the problem with updating your console with another regions software that your console doesn't have some of the parts required to boot that regions software?

If Super Paper Mario adds in the extra stuff that only US users get, then wouldn't that mean if the 2.2U update were to come across and overwrite the European base files with NTSC-U base files, and everything else that the console needed for 2.xU was already on the Wii, wouldn't it update with no problems, effectively turning a PAL Wii into a NTSC-U Wii?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @E1ite007, I just found this randomly.