Hacking Just got my DSTwo! Help setting up my menu?

Doyouwantaspoon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got it working properly, only thing is this seemingly pointless menu right when I boot the cartridge: (crappy phone pic)

There is the one option " DS_GAME" and like 25 or so blank options to either side.. After I select the one option, it goes to this menu:

What is the point of that first menu? Is there a way to either get rid of it, or how can it be utilized?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
to get rid of it, just go into the _DSTWO folder, copy the dsgame.nds and just copy it to where ever you feel like it, then delete the file named dstwo.nds and rename the copied dsgame.nds to dstwo.nds and there you go
happy.gif

The point really is just to organize your plugins on a simple menu instead of having to search for them also so you can launch .plg files...I am not sure if you can do that through the dsgame.nds
unsure.gif
I am going to go test that now.

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
Congrats on your purchase, I know It doesn't look like much out of the box with that generic menu but things get much better with time. First thing your gonna want to do is to head over to filetrip and start looking over all the app's you can get. Get the latest operating system software first. Your gonna have to make a choice as to having a touch screen menu with skins or having the imenu made by spinalcord that doesn't have touch control yet but works like a iphone menu and looks nice.

I guess the best way to help is for you to ask some questions, we can point you in the direction you need.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That first menu is what you call the "plugin menu". It's used to display stuff like homebrew and emulators. The homebrew goes into the __dstwoplug folder on your SD card, and you can download icon packs from here.
The question marks are just placeholders.

BTW, if you want to give your plugin menu more of a iPhone-like feel, you can try spinal_cord's iMenu.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want, you can go to SC Team's website and pick up some homebrew that utilizes the DStwo's extra hardware.
But keep in mind, these don't get updated very often (if at all). A good example of this is the SNES emulator, as it's not that good in its current state. CATSFC is an unofficial update to the SNES emulator that improves on a lot of stuff. ShadauxCat is currently working on speedhacks, which should help a lot of games play at full speed.

bliks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I came here to post this exact same thing. Reading up on the reviews and such of the cart, I assumed that the GBA emulator came out of the box. I guess I was wrong. I already loaded up the 1.11 EOS firmware onto the my microSD card yesterday so I would be ready to go when I got my flashcart today.

Can I get rid of the "ds2boot.dat" file on the root of my card? & it's a bit of a hassle to get the card out of a DSi eh? No matter, thanks for the info in this thread everyone!
smile.gif

Doyouwantaspoon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bliks said:
I came here to post this exact same thing. Reading up on the reviews and such of the cart, I assumed that the GBA emulator came out of the box. I guess I was wrong. I already loaded up the 1.11 EOS firmware onto the my microSD card yesterday so I would be ready to go when I got my flashcart today.

Can I get rid of the "ds2boot.dat" file on the root of my card? & it's a bit of a hassle to get the card out of a DSi eh? No matter, thanks for the info in this thread everyone!
smile.gif
I deleted the boot.dat file and it works fine. the _DSTWO folder are the system files though, leave them in the root of the microSD, but if you like, right click the folder, go to properties, and check the box at the bottom of the window called "Hidden". this will make the folder invisible, but the flashcart will still function. and yes, the card fits very snugly in the DS. when you try to take the microsd out of the DSTwo, push the card to the side of it that is flat, so the little tooth on the opposite side doesn't get stuck.

bliks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Doyouwantaspoon said:
bliks said:

smile.gif
I deleted the boot.dat file and it works fine. the _DSTWO folder are the system files though, leave them in the root of the microSD, but if you like, right click the folder, go to properties, and check the box at the bottom of the window called "Hidden". this will make the folder invisible, but the flashcart will still function. and yes, the card fits very snugly in the DS. when you try to take the microsd out of the DSTwo, push the card to the side of it that is flat, so the little tooth on the opposite side doesn't get stuck.

Thank you for that, I got rid of it now. I don't care if _DSTWO shows up on the DS, just having the loose file in the root directory caused me to freak out a little
tongue.gif
I can't select the save or load options while in the middle of a DS game either, (the real time save and load)

Could someone point me in the right direction on how to use the cheat system as well? It seems a little complicated, or is there a way we can just use AR codes?

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
bliks said:
I can't select the save or load options while in the middle of a DS game either, (the real time save and load)
You're using the "simple in-game menu", which sacrifices RTS for compatibility. If you touch the "START" button in the corner of the bottom screen in the game selection menu, something should pop up. There should be a setting somewhere there that allows you to change the hotkeys for the regular menu and the "simple" menu.
And by default, the full in-game menu is L+R+Start. You're probably pressing L+R+Select, which is default for the simple menu.

bliks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
YayMii said:
bliks said:
You're using the "simple in-game menu", which sacrifices RTS for compatibility. If you touch the "START" button in the corner of the bottom screen in the game selection menu, something should pop up. There should be a setting somewhere there that allows you to change the hotkeys for the regular menu and the "simple" menu.
And by default, the full in-game menu is L+R+Start. You're probably pressing L+R+Select, which is default for the simple menu.

I figured all of that out after my post, I feel dumb lol. Other then RTS the two menus are exactly the same? Thanks again!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool: Idk