Just got my DSTwo! Help setting up my menu?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Doyouwantaspoon, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Doyouwantaspoon
    OP

Newcomer Doyouwantaspoon Advanced Member

United States
    So I got it working properly, only thing is this seemingly pointless menu right when I boot the cartridge: (crappy phone pic)

[​IMG]

There is the one option " DS_GAME" and like 25 or so blank options to either side.. After I select the one option, it goes to this menu:

[​IMG]

What is the point of that first menu? Is there a way to either get rid of it, or how can it be utilized?

2. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    to get rid of it, just go into the _DSTWO folder, copy the dsgame.nds and just copy it to where ever you feel like it, then delete the file named dstwo.nds and rename the copied dsgame.nds to dstwo.nds and there you go [​IMG]
    The point really is just to organize your plugins on a simple menu instead of having to search for them also so you can launch .plg files...I am not sure if you can do that through the dsgame.nds [​IMG] I am going to go test that now.

3. Ziggy Zigzagoon

Member Ziggy Zigzagoon GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    The other spaces are for the extras, that is, the GBA and SNES emulators.

4. Jugarina

Member Jugarina GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Congrats on your purchase, I know It doesn't look like much out of the box with that generic menu but things get much better with time. First thing your gonna want to do is to head over to filetrip and start looking over all the app's you can get. Get the latest operating system software first. Your gonna have to make a choice as to having a touch screen menu with skins or having the imenu made by spinalcord that doesn't have touch control yet but works like a iphone menu and looks nice.

I guess the best way to help is for you to ask some questions, we can point you in the direction you need.

5. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    That first menu is what you call the "plugin menu". It's used to display stuff like homebrew and emulators. The homebrew goes into the __dstwoplug folder on your SD card, and you can download icon packs from here.
    The question marks are just placeholders.

BTW, if you want to give your plugin menu more of a iPhone-like feel, you can try spinal_cord's iMenu.

6. Jugarina

Member Jugarina GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That first menu is like your shortcut menu that launches apps and plug-ins like emulators and homebrew.

7. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    If you want, you can go to SC Team's website and pick up some homebrew that utilizes the DStwo's extra hardware.
    But keep in mind, these don't get updated very often (if at all). A good example of this is the SNES emulator, as it's not that good in its current state. CATSFC is an unofficial update to the SNES emulator that improves on a lot of stuff. ShadauxCat is currently working on speedhacks, which should help a lot of games play at full speed.

8. bliks

Newcomer bliks Member

Canada
    I came here to post this exact same thing. Reading up on the reviews and such of the cart, I assumed that the GBA emulator came out of the box. I guess I was wrong. I already loaded up the 1.11 EOS firmware onto the my microSD card yesterday so I would be ready to go when I got my flashcart today.

Can I get rid of the "ds2boot.dat" file on the root of my card? & it's a bit of a hassle to get the card out of a DSi eh? No matter, thanks for the info in this thread everyone! [​IMG]

9. Doyouwantaspoon
    OP

Newcomer Doyouwantaspoon Advanced Member

United States
    I deleted the boot.dat file and it works fine. the _DSTWO folder are the system files though, leave them in the root of the microSD, but if you like, right click the folder, go to properties, and check the box at the bottom of the window called "Hidden". this will make the folder invisible, but the flashcart will still function. and yes, the card fits very snugly in the DS. when you try to take the microsd out of the DSTwo, push the card to the side of it that is flat, so the little tooth on the opposite side doesn't get stuck.

10. bliks

Newcomer bliks Member

Canada
    Thank you for that, I got rid of it now. I don't care if _DSTWO shows up on the DS, just having the loose file in the root directory caused me to freak out a little [​IMG] I can't select the save or load options while in the middle of a DS game either, (the real time save and load)

Could someone point me in the right direction on how to use the cheat system as well? It seems a little complicated, or is there a way we can just use AR codes?

11. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    download usrcheat.dat from here and place the file in your _dstwo folder

all of the supported games will automagically show all of the cheats in the database

also, if you are just starting up might i recommend setting up iMenu, it comes with a few extra homebrew and is a good place to start (plus it looks nice)

12. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    You're using the "simple in-game menu", which sacrifices RTS for compatibility. If you touch the "START" button in the corner of the bottom screen in the game selection menu, something should pop up. There should be a setting somewhere there that allows you to change the hotkeys for the regular menu and the "simple" menu.
    And by default, the full in-game menu is L+R+Start. You're probably pressing L+R+Select, which is default for the simple menu.

13. bliks

Newcomer bliks Member

Canada
    I figured all of that out after my post, I feel dumb lol. Other then RTS the two menus are exactly the same? Thanks again!

14. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Yeah, that's the only difference.