Hacking Just got a Wii and installed hbc.. now what?

Teh H4rRy

Trophies
XP
Country
My knowledge isnt the best on homebrew but ill tell what i know.

Its kinda like a firmware for the Wii, custom ones allow certain things to be done on the Wii, for example CIOS38 allows for USBloading and other various tweaks, cIOS60 patched allows you the ability to play pirated WADs channels off the SD card.

Google is your friend on this one

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
you have HBC installed via bannerbomb... well done you are on your way to a world of fun.

next up install BOOTMii as it will fix your wii if you brick. very important. do it first.

also install dvdx if you want.

next download and install CIOS 38 REV 14 (it will be a .dol file (rename it to boot.dol and put in folder called 'apps' in your sd card root) which you launch through HBC)

get a neogamma r7 .dol file and launch through hbc, or neogamma r7 wad and install with wad manager. (this will let you play burned wii games)

download and install MIOS (newest version) as this will let you play burned gamecube games.

if you have a usb harddrive of any size install 'usb2 cios' from wiibrew.org and beardfaces coverfloader from here (you will now be able to play .iso files from hard drive... in other words you will never need discs again)

download mplayer_ce 0.7 from wiibrew.org and mplayer cios and install cios file first. now you can play any dvd on your wii, view any photo files, movie files, music files in the world from disc/usb/sd card.

download homebrew browser from wiibrew.org... this lets you download files directly from the internet to your wii's sd card, things like apps, utilities, GAMES(free games!), demo's, and media!

wiibrew.org is your friend.

grentuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Also make regular nand backups. If you update something, add a channel etc etc make a new nand backup and save it yo your PC. I have a directory with about 8 backups in their in their own directories and a text file saying what was changed.

It's a bit like system restore on the PC, you can go back to last known good configuration without losing everything.

Teh H4rRy

Trophies
XP
Country
grentuu said:
Also make regular nand backups. If you update something, add a channel etc etc make a new nand backup and save it yo your PC. I have a directory with about 8 backups in their in their own directories and a text file saying what was changed.

It's a bit like system restore on the PC, you can go back to last known good configuration without losing everything.

What do you use to back up your NAND?

grentuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Bootmii

I have 2 seperate SD cards. One has boot mii installed and sits in drawer. The other just has loaders etc which if for everyday use. I keep em seperate to stop the kids from getting adventurous

Teh H4rRy

Trophies
XP
Country
Is it too late for me to install Bootmii? I have done various tweaks and mods to my Wii... I ran the IOS sanity check homebrew and it said this:
untitled-6.jpg

I can install it, i know how to use google but can i with my current set up?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Teh H4rRy said:
Is it too late for me to install Bootmii? I have done various tweaks and mods to my Wii... I ran the IOS sanity check homebrew and it said this:
untitled-6.jpg
I can install it, i know how to use google but can i with my current set up?
Your setup doesn't matter
You can get bootmii as boot2 when the wii has boot2v2 on it (the older wiis have that)
The hackmii installer will tell you if you can install it. If not, nothing to do about it.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Connorlucas18 said:
I'm hearing things about Bootmii working different with Older / Newer Wiis..

I bought my Wii just yesterday, so it will be the newest hardware... So will bootmii work ok?
veeeeeeeery small chance it will install as boot2
but you can try
wink.gif

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Connorlucas18 said:
What? Can you explain what that means?
There are 2 versions of bootmii:

boot2 version = The best brick protection there is.
It replaces boot2 on the wii. Incase you don't know, the wii boots like this: Power Button > Boot0 > Boot1 > Boot2 > System menu
As you can see, bootmii as boot2 will be launched before the system menu. This enables you to unbrick the wii (brick = unusable system menu)
BUT, to install bootmii on boot2, the boot1 (that loads boot2) needs to accept bootmii as boot2. Newer wiis have a patched boot1 that does not allow bootmii to be installed.

The other version of bootmii is bootmii IOS (also know as mini). This bootmii version installs itself as an IOS (a driver for the system menu). IOS are used when the system menu is already loaded, so basically bootmii IOS is useless for brick protection. This is why bootmii IOS is only installed if the boot2 version can't be installed.

Teh H4rRy

Trophies
XP
Country
I installled BootMii earlier as Boot2, works perfectly, when i have my Bootmii SD card in it loads up bootmii as soon as i turn on my Wii. With my normal USBLoading, homebrewing SD card it loads Wii menu. Yaay Brick fixing for me!! And i backed up my NAND. So if my Wii bricks if i restore the NAND it will work again?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol