Just got a ps vita for my birthday. What are my hacking options?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Bryon15, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    I turned it on and checked the firmware. It's at 3.55. I haven't connected it to the internet yet. Since I know you have to block the automatic updates. I'd like to be able to play digimon story cyber sleuth (main reason I bought it), run emulators, and play psp and ps1 isos. Is any of this possible?

2. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    No, PSP and PS1 isos loading isn't possible with >=3.55.
    Your only option is to manually update to 3.60 and install HENkaku (the best option if you're not intressted in PS1/PSP isos btw) which gives you access to the best emulators, homebrew and Vita game backups.

Read this for updating and then visit henkaku.xyz to install HENkaku for emulators on HENkaku look here you may want to take a look at all the amazing games and programs written by the community for Vita here

Happy Birthday :)

Last edited by VitaType, Sep 12, 2016
  3. satan89

satan89 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2014
    India
    Bangalore
    You can play Vita 'backups' on 3.60 only, using HENkaku . Psp isos and psx dont work currently on 3.60 with HENkaku.
    There's a tutorial to update to 3.60 manually, head over to wololo.
    Also in settings, disable auto update. That should prevent the console from downloading the update.
    And uh happy birthday :)

4. Voxel

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Wrong. It's from 3.57 onwards.
    For 3.55, you can purchase the Mimina Lyar Chronicles exploit game and install TN-V/ARK for PSP backups. Not too sure about PS1 backups though, as the PSX EBOOTs converted for PSP suck on the Vita...

5. VitaType

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    Oh, sure. There I made a huge mistake, sorry.

@Bryon15 You can find everything needed for PSP/PS1 iso loading on 3.55 here (TN-V or Ark, the main difference is the UI, TN-V looks much better :)).
    You have to decide between HENkaku (updating to 3.60) and PSP/PS1 iso loading + VHBL (this allows you some/most emulators from PSP if you get a PSP game on your Vita that you're willed to sacrifice) (stay on 3.55)

You also can stay on 3.55 until PSP/PS1 iso loading is available for 3.60 (the chance is high that this will happen in the comming weeks/month)

6. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    Thanks guys. So which is my best option? Stay on 3.55 and buy Mimina Lyar Chronicles, or update to 3.60 and install henkaku? I should mention that I also have a psp. Which is capable of playing psp and ps1 isos. So it's not really a necessity.

7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    If you have the PSP, then update to 3.60 and use Henkaku. That's the best option.

8. VitaType

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    If you have a PSP I would go for 3.60 the only upside of using TN-V over your PSP is that the games look a slightly better (thanks to a small filter option in the PSP emulator, but nothing what would change alot like PPSSPP does in the graphics department) and you can map the right stick to keys (e.g. L/R or up/down/left/right).

It should be mentioned that HENkaku was released July 29, 2016, don't expect that the emulators already work perfect ;)
    You choosed a good time to join the Vita hacking community. Alot is going on, but all is still very new.

I recommend to update to 3.60.

@Tom Bombadildo your signature is truly disturbing, I don't know if I will sleep tonight. :O

9. Fugelmir

Fugelmir GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Canada
    Use Henkaku. I'm sure it'll get psp support soon. PS1 is a bit trickier but very likely to come along at some point.

10. Aneesh India

Aneesh India GBAtemp Regular

Dec 24, 2015
    India
    India
    I would update to 3.60 to play vita backups !

11. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    Thanks guys. I'll go for 3.60 henkaku. :)

12. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    Okay, I got a little problem. I updated to 3.60. I bought digimon story cyber sleuth and downloaded it onto my PS3 (I already did this last week before I even got the vita). When I went to transfer it to my vita, it wouldn't work cause I would have to update the vita to the latest firmware, which I can't do if I wanna use henkaku. What should I do?