Just found out that my cousin is dyslexic.

BloodyFlame

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was on my way home with my dad when I brought up my cousin randomly. He told me that he couldn't read, but has been doing a little better recently. So then, I asked him if he was dyslexic or not and my dad says yes. So then, I was like
huh.gif
Afterwards, I thought for a while and remember seeing his report cards and facepalmed because I realized I'm a retard for not figuring out before.

Four_X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's no big thing now but it used to be because teachers didn't now how to teach
dyslexic childran.

im also dyslexic, i also had help at school

by the way a lot of famous people are dyslexic, roald dahl for one was dyslexic
and he was one of the world's greatest children's authors with books like
James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Fantastic Mr Fox
Matilda, The Witches, and The BFG, he wasn't diagnosed as a dyslexic until later
in his live well after he wrote alot of his famous books.

so go figure
wacko.gif

BloodyFlame

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Gay Little Cat Boy said:
There's nothing wrong with dyslexia. I am dyslexic, I had to go through most of grade school with special classes for it.

I understand that there's nothing wrong with dyslexia. I was only surprised because I didn't know until now.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
BloodyFlame said:
A Gay Little Cat Boy said:
There's nothing wrong with dyslexia. I am dyslexic, I had to go through most of grade school with special classes for it.

I understand that there's nothing wrong with dyslexia. I was only surprised because I didn't know until now.
Fair enough.
We learn new things every day
happy.gif

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Four_X said:
It's no big thing now but it used to be because teachers didn't now how to teach
dyslexic childran.

im also dyslexic, i also had help at school

by the way a lot of famous people are dyslexic, roald dahl for one was dyslexic
and he was one of the world's greatest children's authors with books like
James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Fantastic Mr Fox
Matilda, The Witches, and The BFG, he wasn't diagnosed as a dyslexic until later
in his live well after he wrote alot of his famous books.

so go figure
wacko.gif

I'm dyslexic (I also have dyscalculia, the number version of dyslexia, which is a million times worse than my dyslexia, which is considered mild, but it does explain my bad sense of direction, seriously I'm 22 years old and still can't remember my left from my right) and the vice principal (he was the one in charge) refused to put me in special needs classes saying that I was just lazy, despite the fact that he had the test results in front of him (he said that I cheated the system or something and should stop being lazy). He was new, the vice principal that left before was going to put me in special needs, but he quit so I wasn't able to get any help. So now we may have teachers who are able to help, but in some places they just refuse to, saying that their students are lazy.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well my best friend is said to have dyslexia too even thaught he reads WAY faster than I do writes way faster than I do and understands most texts way better/faster than I do ....

because of this he did nothing at all in language classes and just got allways like 1 up to 2 grades better because the teachers are not allowed to rate someone with dyslexia the same as someone without it -.-

I think dyslexia is just some sort of easy way for slackers.
Even thaught some ppl might be offended by this opinion but i think dyslexia is just nonsens

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I think all dyslexic just should stop being so lazy and start learning to read!.....
tongue.gif
No, I'm just joking!
smile.gif

I'm surprised there haven't been many dyslexic people during my school time. I had one classmate who was dyslexic, and he quit after a year... apart from that, I haven't met anyone who's dyslexic
ohmy.gif
(what I know atleast).

Edit:
Youkai: I agree to some extent. I know there are some people who "use" dyslexia as an excuse, without having it. But I think there are studies that show that there is some disorder that makes some people dyslexic.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Youkai said:
Well my best friend is said to have dyslexia too even thaught he reads WAY faster than I do writes way faster than I do and understands most texts way better/faster than I do ....

because of this he did nothing at all in language classes and just got allways like 1 up to 2 grades better because the teachers are not allowed to rate someone with dyslexia the same as someone without it -.-

I think dyslexia is just some sort of easy way for slackers.
Even thaught some ppl might be offended by this opinion but i think dyslexia is just nonsens

I think that some people take it way out of proportion, but not all people who have dyslexia are slackers (I also have ADHD and OCD). I've rarely ever gotten decent grades in school. I got an A in math once...in the 10th grade and that's because I had a teacher working with me. I got F's and Needs Improvement on my report cards constantly. It wasn't because I was a slacker, it was because I didn't get any help. I was constantly told by the teachers that I should have been paying attention and that I had notes so to figure it out myself. I once had a math teacher that said that she would help me whenever I needed it and when I went up to her one day for help she said I had notes and that I was to stop being lazy and to figure it out myself. I actually had two teachers like that. It wasn't that I was lazy. In my senior year of high school I got D's and F's in math (I barely passed with a D-). I completed the assignments, every single one had been finished, but I didn't understand the material and got bad marks because of it. Nevada has some of the worst test scores in the nation. Why? Because the teachers here don't care if you pass or fail, they don't care about helping you. Maybe 10% of them do, but the other 90% just don't care. I once had a music teacher read the newspaper in class and ignore the class. The only way to actually get a grade in her class was to help her beat Ocarina of Time or to draw art from the Zelda series...I'm not kidding about that. I was in that class to re-learn the piano/keyboard. That class was the reason why I was homeschooled the following years. I actually got help when I was homeschooled through an online program. My grandma helped me with my assignments and I got good grades because someone helped me instead of being told to figure it out myself. Sometimes people abuse it, but sometimes people actually need help. The system failed me and constantly told me to **** off. Something needs to change.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also