Gaming Just bought a Sony MS Pro Duo 8GB on Ebay

AC/DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK I was fed up with my 4GB SanDisk not being enough for MGS PW (that game really eats space like crazy) +some other games I want to play simultaneously, so I decided to get a cheap 8GB memory stick. Ebay seemed to have the cheapest ones so I just clicked "buy it now" at a random seller and then it occurred to me that when it says "from Hong Kong" I should not expect good quality.
What do you guys think will it be fake or not?
I must add I DON'T mind if it does not support Magic Gate, as long as it runs iso's fine and does not corrupt data, I am a happy user.

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Most likely fake. They sometimes aren't the capacity they say they are and are modified to appear larger. There is a program to test for that though.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely definitely fake. It will be slow and I hear may be less than 8GB considerably and just displays that it is 8GB and may be a lot slower. Most likely it will be perfectly fine though, just a bit slower than an official one.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
AC/DS said:
as long as it runs iso's fine and does not corrupt data, I am a happy user.

And you opted for a fake???? One of the reasons fakes are so unreliable is that it's impossible to predict if you're going to get random corruptions or problems.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I've had many bad experiences with them. You probably won't be able to send it back to them, though you could try and see what they say...Or you could just sell it as fake, or you could just use and back up your data, like, every 2 hours.

themuddaload

Creepin' hardcore.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
AC/DS said:

And you opted for a fake???? One of the reasons fakes are so unreliable is that it's impossible to predict if you're going to get random corruptions or problems.
xist i must continue to disagree with you on this subject, there are varying qualitys of fakes.

when i first got my psp (going on 2 years ago now) i got 2 4gb fake sonys from dealextreme. they both work fine. during this time i have only ever had 1 corrupted save.

yours probably isnt the same kind though =P

but there are 'good' and 'bad' fakes. the 'good' ones will work fine, just not support magic gate, and the 'bad' ones can have any number of things wrong with them, fake capacity, bad quality memory, etc.

this is the 8gb version of my 4gb ones. if i was going to buy another pro duo for my psp, it would likely be one of these (or 2 microsd's for my crc-5400 thinger i have in my drawer lol)
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15683

if the memory is indeed hacked, dx will send you a new one.

Jolan

Unlimited Bear Works
Trophies
Website
www.animecubed.com
XP
Country
So, you must be a gambler if you buy fakes and hope they work fine.
I just save a bit more cash and get a memory stick I'm sure won't fail because, hey, I'm planning to be using this stick with my PSP and not changing it for a while, why would I need to risk it in that case?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
themuddaload said:
xist said:
AC/DS said:

xist i must continue to disagree with you on this subject, there are varying qualitys of fakes.

But you're agreeing with me. The words i used were "impossible to predict". Unless you have a sure fire way of identifying how to spot a good fake before you buy it the best plan is to buy genuine. Looks like you've agreed to agree with me whilst disagreeing to agree....
wink.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Most people have issues with DX stuff though, especially memory.

AC/DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
themuddaload said:
this is the 8gb version of my 4gb ones. if i was going to buy another pro duo for my psp, it would likely be one of these (or 2 microsd's for my crc-5400 thinger i have in my drawer lol)

Nothing against it, but it does not even have "SONY" written on it.
I know it does not guarantee anything when buying HK stuff, but the one I bought on Ebay at least pretends(?) to be Sony.

rayben

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a 16 gig memory stick from DX and it works fine. Ive used all 16 gigs, no spoofed capacity. Ive never got anything from DX that i wasnt happy with.

themuddaload

Creepin' hardcore.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
AC/DS said:
themuddaload said:

Nothing against it, but it does not even have "SONY" written on it.
I know it does not guarantee anything when buying HK stuff, but the one I bought on Ebay at least pretends(?) to be Sony.

what does having sony writing on something have to do with the quality? and yes, they do have sony on them, when you get them they have a white sticker covering up the sony logo. must be some kind of copyright shit, i dont know.
its a crappy picture, but this is what the card actually looks like. http://www.dealextreme.com/feedbacks/brows....15683~id.50165

i just compared my 4gb fake to my 256mb legit one, they look exactly the same, save for the difference in capacity labeling, and the MARK2 logo thing, which isnt on my legit one. (it was an early one anyways)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Do a PSXReality speed test on your stick muddaload and post the result.

themuddaload

Creepin' hardcore.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ive done it before... i might still have it on my photobucket... brb...

fake 4gb sony.
memstickhdtach.jpg

legit sandisk 2gb
legit2gb.jpg

legit 256mb sony

256mbsony.jpg

its hdtach not psxreality, but im sure it does the same thing.

same time i did those 2 cards i did a UMD

UMD (GTA VCS)

umdhdtach.jpg

lol, just edited this post like 15 times...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: How is everyone?