Hacking Question Just bought a FW 3.0.0 Switch. What should i do with it!?

longgt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i just bought a grey Switch today. It came with FW 3.0.0.
I haven't followed Switch's scene until today, it have so much information by now. I am really confuse :wacko:
I asked a friend and he said i should stay on lowest fw possible, waiting for some sort of cfw in near future. Is it really coming or just my friend gave me false information?
It seem that we can play backup game with SX OS or LayeredFS on lastest FW right now.
All i care is play backup single play games offline. I don't care much about online play though.
I have a few unplayed game on PC and PS4, so a little wait don't hurt.

So what should i do with this Switch then!? Should i keep it in box, or should i update to lastest FW and enjoy these backup loading method we have right now?

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd personally keep it on 3.0.0 but if your fine with doing a small "hard mod" every time you reboot your system you can update. But here's what you'll get with each of the firmwares with Atmosphere CFW

1.0.0 might get full cold boot someday meaning all you would have to do is start the console and you'll be in the CFW

2.0.0 to 3.0.0 will have a software method of entering it but you'll have to redo it every time you fully restart the console (this will supposedly be released along side Atmosphere)
Edit: There is a VERY small chance that 2.0.0 to 3.0.2 could get coldboot but it's pretty much guaranteed to not happen (as of right now)

3.0.1 to 4.1.0 will also have an entirely software method similar to the 2.0.0 to 3.0.0 one but will be released sometime after atmosphere releases

5.0.0+ as of right now there aren't any software methods for 5.0.0+ so you'll have to use the minor "hard mod" on these firmwares

There is also a method to update your system without blowing any of the efuses which would allow you to downgrade back to 3.0.0 later on but if you update to 4.0.0 or above then go back to one under 4.0.0 you cartridge slot won't work due to an update for the cartridge slot firmware that comes with 4.0.0+

But if you plan on using SX OS it doesn't really matter what firmware your on :)

Guide to upgrade without burning efuses: gbatemp.net threads how-to-install-run-any-switch-firmware-unofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/
(I can't post links yet since I'm a new member :( )

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,

YigglyPoof

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2.0.0 to 3.0.0 will have a software method of entering it but you'll have to redo it every time you fully restart the console (this will supposedly be released along side Atmosphere)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 2.0.0 - 3.0.0 have coldboot coming eventually too, right?

Last edited by YigglyPoof,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is a small chance that those firmwares will get coldboot

A very small chance, nobody has done it. All of the exploits triggered using software require human intervention. We don't know what software you'll need to trigger them either. If it's the browser then you may need some form of network access every time you turn it on and wish to trigger it.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A very small chance, nobody has done it. All of the exploits triggered using software require human intervention. We don't know what software you'll need to trigger them either. If it's the browser then you may need some form of network access every time you turn it on and wish to trigger it.
I guess I'll change my comment from small to VERY small lol

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I'd personally keep it on 3.0.0 but if your fine with doing a small "hard mod" every time you reboot your system you can update. But here's what you'll get with each of the firmwares with Atmosphere CFW

1.0.0 might get full cold boot someday meaning all you would have to do is start the console and you'll be in the CFW

Edit: There is a VERY small chance that 2.0.0 to 3.0.0 could get coldboot but it's pretty much guaranteed to not happen (as of right now)

3.0.1 to 4.1.0 will also have an entirely software method similar to the 2.0.0 to 3.0.0 one but will be released sometime after atmosphere releases

5.0.0+ as of right now there aren't any software methods for 5.0.0+ so you'll have to use the minor "hard mod" on these firmwares

There is also a method to update your system without blowing any of the efuses which would allow you to downgrade back to 3.0.0 later on but if you update to 4.0.0 or above then go back to one under 4.0.0 you cartridge slot won't work due to an update for the cartridge slot firmware that comes with 4.0.0+

But if you plan on using SX OS it doesn't really matter what firmware your on :)

Guide to upgrade without burning efuses: gbatemp.net threads how-to-install-run-any-switch-firmware-unofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/
(I can't post links yet since I'm a new member :( )
Wrong... :D
up to 3.0.2 can get coldboot

longgt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ZachyCatGames : Thanks you so much for all of these information :)
I think i will leave my Switch as it is now. I hope we will see Atmosphere release in the next few months

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: