Jtag hack Zephyr 360 noob questions!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by cardyology, Dec 7, 2009.

1. cardyology
    OP

cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 2, 2007
    Chorley Uk
    Hey guys, i know this has been covered elsewhere, i;ve read loads about it here & on xbox scene forums, waht im loooking for is some simple answers all in one place as its a bit of a minefield at the moment as far as the info out there goes.

Basically, i wanna get homebrew up & running on an old 360 zephyr

Do i *need* resistors/diodes etc? I have an old printer cable & the nessecary port on my PC

can anyone give me one link, that they have used for a zephy console that will guide a noob like me through the whole process, from start to finish including getting the cpu key, reading the nand & booting the rebooter?

2. nIxx

nIxx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 30, 2007
    Gambia, The
    Germany
  3. cardyology
    OP

May 2, 2007
    Chorley Uk
    Thanks, but there is no way of using just a printer cable without resistors?

4. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Former Staff
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Nope, unless you wanna fry/kill something on both sides.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    So as to avoid confusion:

Diodes: soldered to the mainboard as part of the hack. Necessary if you want to do the hack, not necessary if you only want to play with the NAND.

Resistors: used in the cable as the parallel ports in some computers run at 5v (obviously you need to account for floating ground as you would when powering a drive from your 360: PC and 360 case electrically joined) while others run at 3.3v.
    http://www.eurasia.nu/wiki/index.php?pagename=Free60JtagHack says that they are not truly necessary and I agree but playing it safe is simple enough (you are already going to sacrifice a cable, why is using a few resistors going to be a problem?).

The NFOs for xbrebooter (Freeboot still requires a chip but also has a good NFO) have blow by blow and between the two links you now have the JTAG hack is not going to get any simpler although if you want have a read of some of the uncrippling the 360 guides as they also have how to deal with the NAND.

6. cardyology
    OP

May 2, 2007
    Chorley Uk
    Thanks man. I jsut had a few hours free & no means of getting hold of the resistors.

I'll make a trip to Maplins tomorrow & get what i need [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice