• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Joe Biden livestreams his coronavirus vaccination

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 3,606
  • Replies 40
  • Likes 3
D

Deleted User

OP
Joe Biden has livestreamed himself receiving his first dose of the coronavirus vaccine. "I'm doing this to demonstrate that people should be prepared when it's available to take the vaccine. There's nothing to worry about, I'm looking forward to the second shot," he said.

It's worth reposting what I said previously:
Conspiracy theorists will inevitably make shit up like the video is a deepfake, a look-alike got vaccinated for them or the vaccine was replaced with a saline solution but those who are beyond reason are a lost cause.

I will get vaccinated and strongly recommend everyone who does not have a medical exemption get it too.

TheRedfox

blep
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Probably not.
It's just important to get the first 10-20% vaccinated the next months, when that happens and everyone(including people unsure about vaccinations) knows someone who got vaccinated then a lot more people will get convinced to take the vaccine which is needed to get society back to normal.

That'll only leave a very small group of crazies in the end who will use some logical fallacy or n=1 blown up story which is not even correlated as a reason not to get a vaccine. No need to worry about the antivaxxers that much for now :)

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Do people actually respect him enough to do the whole "monkey see, monkey do" thing?
Its the jobtitle, stupid. ;)

Same reason people think they have to respect moderators for the 'virtual internet brass', or like their posts because they perceive them as higher beings that have stepped down their virtual podests to talk to the common folks (sorry, but for once - there is a learning opportunity there, as in 'how people work').

I learned this way back when, when 10k people all of a sudden thought that Major Nelson was an intelligent being, worth listening to and worth defending, by the mere fact, that he spoke to them, and had access.

This is how humans work, and yes - it works.

It absolutely works.

Roughly. People want to form groups. People want to follow leaders. (Saves brain cycles.) Saved Brain cycles then are used to construct and defend why the group has so much meaning for them viciously - with no effing reason, without anyone having even asked them to. People are SUUUUUUUUUUUUCKERS for anyone who might construct for them a feeling to belong. So whatever leader figure says - is very important.

'Let them think for me - I'll then copy behavior' works on so many levels, its not even funny. ;) Even kind of subliminally in my case.. :) (Less worried, when I see stuff like that.)

Never underestimate a good piece of public theatre.
---

edit: I clue you in on even more stuff. :)

Moral leaders work better than political ones - for that purpose. (And to be a moral leader is the only thing Biden ever strived to be in his life, and the only thing he was qualified to, not joking...)

Do you know why the British still have the Royal Family?

Because it works.

One level on which it works is the following. You have the elected political leader of your country, summerize - what they (their party) are doing, in front of a 'moral leadership' figure every few weeks.

As a result - politics gets better. (Less partisan, less backstabby, less random sh*t made up ad hoc, ...)

Its magic.

Stephen Fry reflected on this once, and came to this conclusion. Video should be out there, somewhere.. :)

Last edited by notimp,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Do people actually respect him enough to do the whole "monkey see, monkey do" thing?
I think it's more just to get out ahead of Republican talking points. "Oh the elitist doctors and politicians want all of US to take the vaccine, but they won't risk it themselves." That type of BS.

Last edited by Xzi,

0x3000027E

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's more just to get out ahead of Republican talking points. "Oh the elitist doctors and politicians want all of US to take the vaccine, but they won't risk it themselves" type of BS.

"Oh goody, they got the Republicans on that one!"
"Yay, talking points squashed, we win!"

Could it be you are impressed with such low-effort political action?

Before we fawn over Biden LiveStreams, lets discuss a more serious matter; the need to turn over congressional seats. To transform political positions into temporary positions of public service. The R vs. D facade gets tiring; its time to evolve, friend.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's more just to get out ahead of Republican talking points. "Oh the elitist doctors and politicians want all of US to take the vaccine, but they won't risk it themselves." That type of BS.
Is that a republican talking point or a moron talking point?

Not all republicans are morons and not all morons (plenty of stupid earth mothers in California, Washington, Oregon and other hippy states/cities that would no more vote US right wing than [insert something that they would find unpleasant]) are Republicans.

It is a basic photo op ploy. Get a respected person to be seen doing something. Think my favourite was after a salmonella scare the other year in cucumbers they got a politico to gobble a cucumber on the news.

My question though was that Biden chap is hardly the great hope of the world, not even sure he was the best they could find out there list of acceptable candidates. To that end is chucking him on stage to be shot in the arm (assuming they did it properly for this one unlike that hilarious photo op the other day where the needle was depressed already, and it was not lizard clone, deepfake, saline solution, slow acting poison so she can take over... or whatever the conspiracy types want to this time) that useful a thing?
Or is it as notimp says and the "he is my president and therefore I respect him" line (or that with some combo of "respect the office therefore the man is OK by me") actually is a thing people believe?

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I will get vaccinated and strongly recommend everyone who does not have a medical exemption get it too.

good for you & make sure you post pics of yourself taking it, a lot of people will not take this evil vaccine & yes the video is 1000% fake,they made covid to vaccinate billions of people to reduce earth's population to 1 billion (The Great Reset). even Bill Gate said their goal is to reduce earth population by way of vaccine.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
"Oh goody, they got the Republicans on that one!"
"Yay, talking points squashed, we win!"

Could it be you are impressed with such low-effort political action?
No, I offered no opinion on it, I was only explaining what I perceive the mindset to be.

Is that a republican talking point or a moron talking point?
Is there any differen...

Not all republicans are morons and not all morons (plenty of stupid earth mothers in California, Washington, Oregon and other hippy states/cities that would no more vote US right wing than [insert something that they would find unpleasant]) are Republicans.
Oh. Well I'd say many of those people are also morons, given how prevalent anti-vax and anti-science beliefs are among them. Yes there are dumb Democrats as well.

And yeah the entire gesture is also kind of dumb, but it's unfortunately necessary in a society where anti-intellectual beliefs and conspiracy theories are so prevalent. Republicans would have us burning witches again, and there's a fair number of Democrats with regressive/kooky beliefs as well.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: KingVamp

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
good for you & make sure you post pics of yourself taking it, a lot of people will not take this evil vaccine & yes the video is 1000% fake,they made covid to vaccinate billions of people to reduce earth's population to 1 billion (The Great Reset). even Bill Gate said their goal is to reduce earth population by way of vaccine.
On which kind of drugs are you?

Reactions: KingVamp and Xzi

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
This is giving me "Princess Diana shaking hands with an AIDs patient" vibes. I don't have a problem with Biden getting the vaccine and having it be televised, especially since he wasn't one of the politicians trying to downplay the widespread death that the virus has caused.
He did receive the most votes in US history (with Trump receiving the second most in history) with the greatest voter turnout percentage than we've had in decades. I don't think we can say with a straight face that Biden isn't respected by a large group of people.

Same reason people think they have to respect moderators for the 'virtual internet brass', or like their posts because they perceive them as higher beings that have stepped down their virtual podests to talk to the common folks (sorry, but for once - there is a learning opportunity there, as in 'how people work').
I agree. Magstaff on the other hand... we're clearly a special breed that deserves--nay--demands respect. My name is yellowish orange and thus I am great. Also I have an anime avatar so I have to be taken seriously.

I agree with this too. On the flip side, some leaders who very much had their heads in the sand about the virus are now taking the vaccine under the guise of "spreading awareness" when, really, they care more about keeping themselves safe (I don't think Biden is one of those people.).

Before we fawn over Biden LiveStreams, lets discuss a more serious matter; the need to turn over congressional seats. To transform political positions into temporary positions of public service. The R vs. D facade gets tiring; its time to evolve, friend.
That's a bit off topic, yeah? There's merit to that conversation but it seems derailing here.

*Citation needed.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
He did receive the most votes in US history (with Trump receiving the second most in history) with the greatest voter turnout percentage than we've had in decades. I don't think we can say with a straight face that Biden isn't respected by a large group of people.
I generally got the impression that US politics, apparently especially this last go around, was more about the least worst option than anything particularly resembling respect. Similarly looking at approval ratings for politicos in general (though incumbency rates might speak to another notion) it would not speak to them being the joy bringers. For myself I have never met a politico I would piss on if they were on fire, saving that it is counts as a last insult or if I did not act I would get done for depraved indifference or something.

Basically if you are going to do a photo op then there are surely better ones, though I suppose as a nice slideshow of various peeps then it could work.

kiaghi7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To paraphrase the great philosopher George Carlin:

"Think of how dumb the average person is... Now think about half the people out there are even more dumb than that!"

Reactions: IncredulousP

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If this is a making people infertile injection then young guys in droves are paying fortunes to walk like John Wayne for a week but in turn be reasonably sure (vasectomies are not 100%) that they are not going to be landed with kids, and the young ladies are also not exactly doing nothing to avoid getting up the duff. Shot in the arm to last average fertility window (if not longer) is then far far far more appealing -- so far there was a trial or two but nothing likely coming to market for a while.
Similarly most governments in the world are shit scared about their populations dropping (on vasectomies then see the requirements for it in Russia, or if you want funny I recommend "do it for Denmark") -- they took the stupid route of assuming there would always be growth to pay for today's expenses.

To that end it seems both counterproductive and the financially lesser plan if said hyper evil plan is to go into place.
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...nated-in-2021-spending-watchdog-says-12162805 reckons 11. 7 billion for the UK to buy and deploy (buying alone "267 million doses of COVID vaccines were purchased by the government at a cost of £2.9bn."). I would not be too proud to turn that down if offered but they can make way more than that if it was a sterility injection that allows you to dodge gold diggers and baby traps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: because I already got burned out with breath of the wild, which for the most part is essentially...