Job Interview for a 2nd job

EJames2100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So right now I have a part-time job, however there is very little chance of any overtime and no chance to go full time.
So I decided to see if I can get a 2nd job, current boss knows this and is happy with it, and now I have an interview.

I'm guessing I probably will be asked something like 'Since you already have a job, why do you want to work here?'

Now I can't say that it's because my current job just pays the bill and I'd like more money and my current job can't offer any, so I was hoping someone here had some previous experience or even advice on what to say if it does come up.
(Also the job I'm going for is only 12 hours(less than my other job))

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are they more or less the same job or does the new one have a chance at something new? I find it somewhat tasteless to talk an entry level job up but if there is an actual difference, a chance of progression (insurance company phone monkey to actually heading up a team doing something is a popular route where I am right now) or you get to do something remotely practical/requiring thought it works well enough as a reason.

Similarly there is a rather large difference between "coz I want more scratch innit" and "I won't lie, the extra money would help and it is a large reason for my heading down this path".

Also for what it is worth there are more than a few people sitting around doing precisely nothing around you right now and if they have made it to the interview stage they presumably know about you taking this as a second job and it is not a problem for them (some companies like this arrangement for various reasons you probably do not care about and for others it will end the process on the spot). The bigger problem would be demonstrating things will not clash, but from what you said that is not so much of a problem.

EJames2100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
They are very similar jobs in way, I currently work in a warehouse type shop and my time is generally split between the warehouse and the till, and the one I'm going for is a checkout attendant for a supermarket.

Both companies from what I know both offer a fair bit of advancement, however where I am now for any advancement any time soon it would require relocation/travel, which I can't afford to do either way and hence I have to take a second job.

I just cannot seem to answer the question without making it seem like I'm going for it just for the money, I can add in how I'm looking for a retail career and how this job will advance my skills and and what I'll bring to the job, but it just seems to end up about the money.

Yeah, my current boss is absolutely brilliant and I don't see any trouble coming in terms of shift management and etc..

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I should note that part time job at a supermarket starting at this time of year is quite often code for "temporary staff to cover the Christmas rush/people wanting Christmas off", do not get me wrong they are some of the biggest feeder jobs for longer term/full time positions as well and many use them as a three month trial sort of thing anyway.

That said you are not applying for something you have spent many years at a school or some such training for and as long as you do not come off as a complete cretin and indicate you can do the job (even stacking shelves is better if you have a bit of experience and till training is very much a skill) then it should not be a problem; that you felt the need to make a thread like this and used good grammar throughout it means you will probably do OK there. If I can amend my earlier phrase to something like "I am not going to lie, the money is a big part of it, but I would be interested in taking this further if the opportunity should arise" is a perfectly acceptable answer to any such question, indeed in many ways asking such a question would probably be considered a less than stellar interview question.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1