Hacking JHexTool

powered_by_tux

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't think there are any tutorials. It would be better to ask me anyway since I am the author of JHexTool.

It's really simple, just open a file, switch to the dumper tab and click the Dump button. No need to mess with the settings in that tab. This should create a .dump file of the file you opened, which can be opened in any text editor.

slothsminion62

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I know nothing about Dumping; I thought that meant shrinking a file. I know how to do that with Padding, but I thought Dumping was the more sophisticated way. Do you know a way to scrub files like on Wii ISOs? If you don't know what that is, it is removing the unwanted padding. So what is the purpose of Dumping?

Thank you for making JHexTool. I used to use it a lot, but lost the file on my computer.

powered_by_tux

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't know about scrubbing ISOs, does it mean the same as 'trimming' maybe? You can trim/shrink files with JHexTool to, say, shrink a 128 KB file to 64 KB. Load up a file and enter the desired file size in the padder panel, e.g 64 KB and click Pad and a .pad file with exactly that size will be created.

Dumping in the context of JHexTool means to print the bytes of a file to a text file so it can be viewed in a text editor. In combination with the padding, I find it extremely helpful for savegame hacking, which was the main reason for creating this tool. Glad to hear that you find it useful, too!

slothsminion62

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to convert an Xbox 360 save to a computer save file for a game. I opened the file in an xbox save modder and exported it as a .save, then used JHexTool to shrink the size, so it is identical to a save file I made from the game itself. My converted file still doesn't work though...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol