Jet Grind Radio First Screenshots

ShadowXP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This game looks pretty cool. It's probably one you come back to from time to time.
happy.gif

BlazeHedgehog

Trophies
Website
www.blazefire.tk
XP
Country
I really despise isometric games. Especially tilted perspective isometric platformers. The control is awkward, the perspective is awkward... it never works for me.

It's been my opinion as a fan-game designer, that ever since the GBA was introduced, a side-scrolling Jet Set Radio would work alot better than an isometric one. (Because, as mentioned, it IS a platformer, NOT a sports simulation)

Man, this blows. Jet Set Radio's isometric instead of side scrolling and Splinter Cell is side scrolling instead of isometric.

It's like developers forgot how to make (port?) these kinds of games.

S

SeverGen

Well I have to say Im not that impressed because I love the DC version(havent played the Xbox one yet) and I dont think that the GBA can reproduce the great things about the game such as the sound track. Thats one of the main attractions of playin JGR. Also you wont be able to make great tricks and stuff like you can on a console, but because it is JGR ill give it a shot anyways.

I

Iori

You should play the X Box, It's bad ass!
biggrin.gif
I have the DC version and I still like it anyways.
smile.gif

R

Ryudo

i hate the xbox version
i luv the DC version
and now i hope this version will be good

fluffykiwi

Trophies
Website
www.gba.shorturl.com
XP
Country
You've lost me with the non 3D comments, it is 3D from what I can see your character can move around the whole map and move up and down the ramps, buildings, walls railings etc. That is moving in three dimensions, they've just moved the camera a bit higher.
If they manage to include half the fun of the Dreamcast game it'll be a killer game.

N

Nithr0n

You've lost me with the non 3D comments, it is 3D from what I can see your character can move around the whole map and move up and down the ramps, buildings, walls railings etc. That is moving in three dimensions, they've just moved the camera a bit higher.
If they manage to include half the fun of the Dreamcast game it'll be a killer game.
The screens you see before you of Jet Set Radio for GBA are called 'isometric'. They're different from 3D because the objects on the screen are 2D sprites... Not 3D rendered meshes.

Of course, people fairly new to computers wont understand that, not to be insulting, so i'll reiterate.

A 2D sprite is basically a series of flat images, each image a frame of animation for a particular movement. These are usually layed over another 2D 'enviroment' which again is just a flat image, although they can be used with 3D backgrounds.

3D meshes are actually wireframes, images which appear to be made of wire, usually in 'net' form, that is, layed out flat. The 3D renderer in the game will take these, fold them out into 3D objects, and then fill the gaps between the wires with textures to make it more realistic - textures being flat images, this time layed over a wireframe form instead of left by themselves.

This basically all boils down to a few main facts. Firstly, a 3D image can be rotated in any way by the rendering software without requiring animations for the job - this is why you can move the camera around in 3D games like Sonic Adventure or Crash Bandicoot, but can't do the same in 2D ones like Mario World. 3D graphics generally also look different - around the edges they usually have a slight stepping effect, where the slanting edge might look a bit like some steep stairs, but they usually look more real... Like they're popping out of the screen rather than just lying flat.

This game's basically just made out of totally 2D components, with the world slightly tilted - Meaning it's basically 2D, like all of the Tony Hawk's games on GBA. Although, to make things more confusing, the Tony hawk's GBA titles have used 3D characters and 2D backgrounds - a bit like most of the Resident Evil games.

Hope that clarified things for you.

Oh, and as for that post about comparing a 3D JSR game to Driver 2 - I did say it could've used Raylight's BLueRoses engine, which has some very impressive results so far, with playstation-like graphics. I wouldn't call that pretty ugly, and it proves that with enough effort the GBA can be used to make fairly impressive games, rather than the half-baked mish-mash it usually attracts.

BlazeHedgehog

Trophies
Website
www.blazefire.tk
XP
Country
No, technically they are 3D. The visuals used in it may not be 3D, but the characters move in three dimensions (vertical, horizontal, and depth -- respectively, the X, Y and Z dimensions).

Not to mention, aren't the characters in this game polygonal?

N

Nithr0n

Well, no, 'technically' they're isometric. Which means it's from an isometric viewpoint in which you cannot rotate the world, meaning it isn't 3D - even if one element of it is indeed 3D. And i'm not sure about having polygonal characters... They looked pretty 3D to me, but that could be the cel-shading.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up