jEnesisDS 0.7.4

bunnybreaker

Trophies
Website
devlkore.deviantart.com
XP
Country
OK, I don't mean to sound bitchy or complacent, but how does this run compared to DrMD (on the GP32)?

I have been using that for emulation for years now, but since buying my DS, I hardly play emus any more (apart from Neogeo
biggrin.gif
). I'd rather leave it for now if it's not comparable to DrMD and dig up my GP32 or wait for a later version.

Thankies.

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main problem with jEnesisDS is that the DS screen is only 256x192 pixels wide, but most Genesis games use a 320x240 resolution. There's an option for vertical scaling, but horizontal scaling isn't possible the way jEnesis renders the graphics.

Otherwise, it's a great emulator with good sound, speed and compatibility, but if you have a GP32, then DrMD is a better way of playing Genesis games.

The Genesis 3 is very different from the Genesis 2, by the way. Mostly it's way way smaller and missing the CD expansion port. Also, it was marketed by Majesco, not Sega. Sega did market a lot of other Genesis hardware, though, like the CDX, X'Eye, Nomad, etc.

...word is bondage...

...word is bondage...

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
I used to think that real-time Genesis emulation on the DS was going to be impossible, then jEnesisDS proved me wrong. Now it's getting to the point that it's approaching the best of the classic console emulators; it leaves the SNES emulators in the dust, and dare I say it surpasses NESDS with its excellent UI. Thanks for all of the hard work Stephan, it's a great emulator.

Now if you could just add support for external RAM packs so that we could play Sonic 3 & Knuckles...

n8littlefield

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The speed is great - the DPad scrolling is awesome. On platformers like Sonic, it make the lack of horizontal scaling almost a non-issue. It's not the default setting, but I recommend everybody give it a shot.

The speed increase was especially great for Vectorman and Batman & Robin BTW. Batman and Robin still has some wonkiness in the backgrounds, but totally playable.

bunnybreaker

Trophies
Website
devlkore.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Sweater Fish Deluxe said:
The main problem with jEnesisDS is that the DS screen is only 256x192 pixels wide, but most Genesis games use a 320x240 resolution. There's an option for vertical scaling, but horizontal scaling isn't possible the way jEnesis renders the graphics.

Otherwise, it's a great emulator with good sound, speed and compatibility, but if you have a GP32, then DrMD is a better way of playing Genesis games.

The Genesis 3 is very different from the Genesis 2, by the way. Mostly it's way way smaller and missing the CD expansion port. Also, it was marketed by Majesco, not Sega. Sega did market a lot of other Genesis hardware, though, like the CDX, X'Eye, Nomad, etc.

...word is bondage...

...word is bondage...

Thanks. At least I can play Neogeo games without digging up the GP32
biggrin.gif

duderoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Lordus,

I'd like to say thanks!

I noticed that Street Fighter 2 Special Championship Edition still doesnt detect the 6 button pad properly. Is there hope for a fix? It plays in-game with 6 buttons if you enable the 6 button pad before loading the rom, but when you go to the in-game options to remap the buttons, the game only sees the gamepad as a 3 button pad.

Hso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone know if Kid Chameleon works with this version, or any other EMU?
Last time I tried it, i had no luck
frown.gif

Lordus_

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
duderoo said:
Hi Lordus,

I'd like to say thanks!

I noticed that Street Fighter 2 Special Championship Edition still doesnt detect the 6 button pad properly. Is there hope for a fix? It plays in-game with 6 buttons if you enable the 6 button pad before loading the rom, but when you go to the in-game options to remap the buttons, the game only sees the gamepad as a 3 button pad.

I will spend a bit more time to fix things like that now, and work on compatibility.

wynsezhello said:
is joe and mac compatible with this? i've tried it, didn't work.

joe and mac = ancient metal slug

Works for me..

QUOTE(Hso @ Jul 17 2008, 12:48 PM)
Does anyone know if Kid Chameleon works with this version, or any other EMU?
Last time I tried it, i had no luck
frown.gif

Should work alright since a few versions ago. Maybe it's a bad ROM? This game doesn't need it, but if any game doesn't work, try setting H-Int to ON first. That fixes a lot of things.

Axaj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing I love about emus of old consoles is that sega/nintendo/atari/blahblahblahectectect doesn't lose money when we download ROMs.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Axaj said:
The thing I love about emus of old consoles is that sega/nintendo/atari/blahblahblahectectect doesn't lose money when we download ROMs.
They don't lose money, but they also don't gain any because people aren't buying VC games. VC is just total profits anyway.

This emulator is still great. Can't wait to see how far it will progress, Lordus is one the best programmers for the DS. I just wish that SNemulDS could get an update one of these days.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol