Hacking Japanese 3DS in English using CFW?

QuazaRayy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right. So I'm thinking about buying a used 3DS XL from yahoo auctions (japanese auctions site that is kinda like ebay but all the shit on there is wayyyyyyyy more cheap) and i want to hack it. If i install CFW would i be able to turn it into displaying english language? I don't know a word of japanese so all i have is translation tools. If somebody can answer this for me it would be awesome.

Note: Yes I do plan to use EUR CIAs as I am european for those wondering.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could try making an emunand and installing the EUR firmware via something like CTRTransfer. IDK if it would work but it's worth a try. Just select to transfer to emunand instead of sysnand. (Make a backup of your SD card before doing this. Your sysnand will be fine but this may brick the emunand though. I'm not sure. It's not a big deal though. You can just format the SD.)

Last edited by Pickle_Rick,

QuazaRayy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You could try making an emunand and installing the EUR firmware via something like CTRTransfer. IDK if it would work but it's worth a try. Just select to transfer to emunand instead of sysnand. (Make a backup of your SD card before doing this. Your sysnand will be fine but this may brick the emunand though. I'm not sure. It's not a big deal though. You can just format the SD.)
OK thank you!

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
CTRTransferring to EmuNAND works perfectly (I've set up my 3DSes with literally every region using EmuNANDs), though actually performing the transfer is slightly more complicated than you might hope. Alternatively, you can use Luma's LayeredFS to replace the text data in system titles with English - but that requires some know-how to be able to find the files. It's not too hard, but can be tricky in some cases.

Reactions: Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CTRTransferring to EmuNAND works perfectly (I've set up my 3DSes with literally every region using EmuNANDs), though actually performing the transfer is slightly more complicated than you might hope. Alternatively, you can use Luma's LayeredFS to replace the text data in system titles with English - but that requires some know-how to be able to find the files. It's not too hard, but can be tricky in some cases.
The CTRTransfer to emunand is probably easier. Just because if it bricks it's no harm done.

Reactions: Jhynjhiruu

MrVtR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
it isn't easier just do a region changing on sysnand? (I know that is kinda ctrtransfer,but I think it's better to do on sysnand)
With godmode9 it won't brick sysnand,only with Decrypt9 I guess

Last edited by MrVtR,
Reactions: zfreeman

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
it isn't easier just do a region changing on sysnand? (I know that is kinda ctrtransfer,but I think it's better to do on sysnand)
CTRTransfer into SysNAND is absolutely fine, but there may be cases where the user wishes to retain the orignal firmware, whether that's to be able to go back to it at any point, or any number of other regions. In this case it's up to OP to decide which to go for.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it isn't easier just do a region changing on sysnand? (I know that is kinda of ctrtransfer,but I think it's better to do on sysnand)
I wouldn't recommend telling newbs to touch sysnand. Also modding just the emunand makes removing the cfw later easier. (If they ever want too.)

MrVtR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I wouldn't recommend telling newbs to touch sysnand. Also modding just the emunand makes removing the cfw later easier. (If they ever want too.)
Thinking on this way,make sense,with ctrtransfer on sysnand ,one "danger" is like,u use a file to O3DS into a N3DS and vice-versa(and thats quite easy to make a mistake if ur newbie)

QuazaRayy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I'm not completely noob to softmodding. I'm in the DSi scene but i'm thinking of buying a 3DS so i want to get a cheap one from japan and get it to english.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not completely noob to softmodding. I'm in the DSi scene but i'm thinking of buying a 3DS so i want to get a cheap one from japan and get it to english.
Well if you don't know anything about 3DS modding I'd consider that newb. Just do it the easy (safe) way and mod an emunand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended