Iwata- 3DS has tough anti piracy, 3D effect easy to turn off

D

Deleted User

The one thing I hope is, that if it's hacked the tools to play pirated games are going to cost something in the range of GBA flashcarts. I'm sick (!) of people complaining that DS flashcarts are expensive. Not even the CycloDS is expensive compared to any flashcart I bought before the DS. That said, I don't care if it gets hacked or not; if it's a good system and has good games (which is very likely) I'll buy it.

Gaydrian said:
Games cost a shitload more to make then they did on the N64. Teams are bigger and then you have to pay for scriptwriters, voice artists and all that.

You've also got the "license" fee that the three console makers charge. Get rid of that then they will be as cheap as PC games but then the big three wouldn't support those games that well and would have to raise the price of their own consoles, even Nintendo who have never had a loss on each Wii sold.
N64 games weren't cheaper when they were released in Germany. They were usually sold for 100-150 DM (~50-75 EUR) and XBox360 games are about 70 EUR nowadays. I still have bought almost all of my XBox360 games (yes, I refuse to hack my drives firmware) in the UK. This way I got Mass Effect 2 for ~37 EUR (one day after the release, because of the shipping) while it was advertised for 50 EUR--only on day one--by a German multimedia store.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Takeshi said:
N64 games weren't cheaper when they were released in Germany. They were usually sold for 100-150 DM (~50-75 EUR) and XBox360 games are about 70 EUR nowadays. I still have bought almost all of my XBox360 games (yes, I refuse to hack my drives firmware) in the UK. This way I got Mass Effect 2 for ~37 EUR (one day after the release, because of the shipping) while it was advertised for 50 EUR--only on day one--by a German multimedia store.
No but they were cheaper to make which was my point.

Nintendo and its cartridges was the reason to why the games cost so much, shit here they got Capcom to charge £70 for one of those Street Fighter 2 games on the SNES.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DSGamer64 said:
You know Sony did something right with the PSP Go and PS3, both are pretty much hack proof and have been truly unbreakable for quite a while now. It's been a good while since the PSP Go came out and no one has hacked it and only recently has the PS3 been hacked but not to the point of piracy.

I wouldn't say they're "unhackable" as much as I think there's simply not that much motivation to do so. Pirates are cheap bastards... how many of them are going to buy a Blu-Ray burner, or the expensive blanks it would take to pirate PS3 games. And the PSP Go is the biggest joke of a system released in years.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for the movie thing, film companies can charge less as not only do they get shown in cinemas where some do get their budget back but they've got DVD, Blu-ray releases and then re-releases and also they can sell the rights for TV companies to show them which is quite profitable for them. And then you they can sell the rights to airlines, hotels, cruises and all that.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tough anti-piracy? Yeah, sure. Never underestimate hackers.

When you already have a large community of the DS migrating to the 3DS, there's definitely going to be a fair amount of people who want to crack it for piracy. Odds are it's gonna happen.

doeo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
granville said:
The Pi said:
granville said:
- piracy situation very bad in Asia and Europe, says Iwata

in korea the vast majority of ds games are pirated, so he lied
How is that a lie when Korea is part of Asia? Or did you make a mistake there?
unsure.gif

@everyone- yeah, nothing is unhackable and yeah we'll have to get better at piracy cracking, but it will be done, especially if there is a huge demand to get this system hacked.

Are you sure nothing is unhackable
smileipb2.png
?

My iPhone 3GS new bootroom MC Model in unhackable...

But forget iPhone at the moment.

I'm so eager to imagine me thinking of dreaming of suspecting of expecting of wondering what the 3DS will approximately look like.

Escape

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's quite funny that some of you are rooting for better anti-piracy, while it's quite obvious you will all (or at least most) pirate yourself as soon as it will (if) be hacked, otherwise- what would you be doing here?

Just out of curiosity - does anyone know how long did it take to hack the DS?

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The industry needs to understand that there's two sides to piracy.
As Iwata stated, "Piracy is very bad in Asia and Europe"

First and foremost, are the cheapskates or the poor. These pirates want to pay as little as possible for their pirating solution, they even skimp out on the flashcart wherever possible, then pay for none of the games. They can also be the parents who don't want to spend a groceries salary on distracting their kids, when they could load an R4 with games.
This pretty much covers much of Asia and parts of Europe.

Then there's the region divide.
It's very simple, the same even happens with TV shows, film releases and other software, Japanese or American made software takes months to reach European shores. Very often, the UK is treated as part of Europe, and is forced to wait for the other main languages (Spanish, French, German, Italian) to be localised.
OR, any brit could choose to pirate the American version of the game, and not wait several months.

This is the internet edge, entertainment cannot remain segregated by countries when we speak the same language, there are already plenty of websites which will not stream videos outside of America, which accomplish little so long as torrents exist.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TM2-Megatron said:
And the PSP Go is the biggest joke of a system released in years.

The only people who say that are the ones that are pissed Sony finally won the piracy battle. The Go is awesome.

(Pirating games is not a privilege, nor is it a right. Wahhh, games are too expensive in , wahhh, I don't make enough money to buy all the games I want, wahhh, wahhh, wahhh. Gaming is not a right either, it's simply an extra. Can't afford it? Get a job, be more picky about what games you actually buy or *gasp* get a new hobby.)

QUOTE(The Pi @ May 7 2010, 10:38 AM) as ap gets better hackers get better

the simple law of piracy

Not really, no. I've been involved with piracy since modems were only 300 baud and you had to know the sysop in person to get on the good BBSs. Between then and now, the amount of talented crackers in the scene has dwindled precariously. The days of the Amiga and early PC are long behind us. The PSP Go remains immune to piracy, the PS3 remains immune to piracy, and even the DSi. Yes there are flashcarts that run in DS mode, but no-one has opened up the DSi feature set now have they? As I posted early, I think it's great -- it will wipe a lot of the losers out of the gaming communities who are really only here for free games.

D

Deleted User

@RupeeClock: If Nintendo didn't introduce the first ever region-lock on a handheld with the DSi, the import of games wouldn't be a problem to most of the people. If you're living in Europe, importing can sometimes be even cheaper than buying the game here.

Gaydrian said:
Takeshi said:
No but they were cheaper to make which was my point.

Nintendo and its cartridges was the reason to why the games cost so much, shit here they got Capcom to charge £70 for one of those Street Fighter 2 games on the SNES.
I know that you meant it this way, what I wanted to point out was, that games aren't more expensive for the consumer nowadays. SNES games were about the same price here as well.

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lilsypha said:
I welcome enhanced measures to protect against piracy. It's become so easy that our gaming communities have become flooded with horrible users who think that spending $6 on an R4 entitles them to endless support and the ability to play any game they feel like.

Curbing (or outright stopping) piracy would help clean up our gaming communities in a huge way, and I'm all for it.
I couldn't agree more. Back in the old days of the temp, pirating wasn't cheap or easy. Forums like these were a must if you didn't want to break your shit. You had to research and know your stuff. It isn't just about getting free games (although it's a hellva nice thing), it's a life style. A thing to do just to wow other people. It used to be a smaller, funner group (of pirates). But then 3 years ago, shit hit the fan. Cheaper cards came sprouting up everywhere. People began to catch on to all this pirating business and started jumping the bandwagon. It'd be fine if these were people that educated themselves and sought out knowledge. But no. All they want was for you; the person who spent week, months and years of his life dedicated to learning his shit and knowing what to do, to everything for them. They want it quick also. They're the masses of people who want it all and hate to contribute anything.

In all honesty, I hope a hardmod (or a pricey softmod) is required for this one. Then maybe, just maybe these problems that have been plaguing the pirating community will come to a calm.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
lilsypha said:
TM2-Megatron said:
And the PSP Go is the biggest joke of a system released in years.

The only people who say that are the ones that are pissed Sony finally won the piracy battle. The Go is awesome.

(Pirating games is not a privilege, nor is it a right. Wahhh, games are too expensive in , wahhh, I don't make enough money to buy all the games I want, wahhh, wahhh, wahhh. Gaming is not a right either, it's simply an extra. Can't afford it? Get a job, be more picky about what games you actually buy or *gasp* get a new hobby.)

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I've no doubt there are some who dislike the Go because of this, but my only reason for disliking it is the same reason I dislike the idea of downloads taking the place of blu-ray or dvd. I hate download-only options, and prefer to get a disc or cartridge, packaging, manual, etc. I'm more than happy to buy every game I play (and I do, despite mostly playing the DS ones using a flashcart), but if I'm going to pay for intangible downloads, then I expect to pay a whole lot less. As much as I like Nintendo, if they came out with a download-only handheld, that's the day I'd stop buying their stuff.

And stop with the judgmental BS.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't know what to think of this one. Better AP means less noobs, but also less hackers willing to spend all their free time trying to hack it... Hmm...

It's nice to know the 3D effect can easily be turned off, that way people like Rayder can play any 3DS game
biggrin.gif

Nikolay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the 3DS games are priced around the range DS games are sold for then I won't have too much of a problem with buying my own games.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TM2-Megatron said:
DSGamer64 said:
You know Sony did something right with the PSP Go and PS3, both are pretty much hack proof and have been truly unbreakable for quite a while now. It's been a good while since the PSP Go came out and no one has hacked it and only recently has the PS3 been hacked but not to the point of piracy.

I wouldn't say they're "unhackable" as much as I think there's simply not that much motivation to do so. Pirates are cheap bastards... how many of them are going to buy a Blu-Ray burner, or the expensive blanks it would take to pirate PS3 games. And the PSP Go is the biggest joke of a system released in years.
I have a PSP Go and it takes a piss over the older models, it's so much nicer to play on. Sure, paying for games sucks but it shouldn't matter if you can afford it. PSP games are cheaper to buy for the Go online then they are to buy them in the store which is another advantage.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DSGamer64 said:
TM2-Megatron said:
DSGamer64 said:

I have a PSP Go and it takes a piss over the older models, it's so much nicer to play on. Sure, paying for games sucks but it shouldn't matter if you can afford it. PSP games are cheaper to buy for the Go online then they are to buy them in the store which is another advantage.

The Go's sales haven't been good, though; isn't the PSP-3000 outselling it still? Yeah, there are those who like it (though I think they're in the minority), but overall it doesn't seem to have been the best idea for Sony. The games might be a bit cheaper than retail (though the Go itself is considerably pricier than other PSP models), but not by nearly enough. For me, if it came down to buying a game in the store and getting it on physical media, with a manual, and packaging or buying it online for a little bit cheaper? I'd choose the store. I'd only go with a download if it were ludicrously cheap compared to the retail version, or if it was a game I wasn't intending to play for that long. Ideally, there should also be some way to transfer a downloaded game between different handhelds. I've got 3 DS Lites, for example, and I wouldn't care for games that I had to pay for three times to be able to play it on each of them.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If they have digital versions of all the games, and won't have to re-buy them all if my system breaks, then there probably won't be an issue on my end. Both Sony and Nintendo have put up a good defense when it comes to hacks, as their latest portable systems haven't been completely cracked, despite attempts. Fortunately, they haven't found an excuse to force online verification for portable systems yet.

The PSP Go is a no-go for me, as I'm sure as heck not re-buying the games that I already have on UMD, and am disappointed that there are several fun games that aren't (and may never be) on PSN. Plus, portable emulation is just too awesome. I'll stick with my 1000 until it dies (which I fear may be soon).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill