Iwata- 3DS has tough anti piracy, 3D effect easy to turn off

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by granville, May 7, 2010.

1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Though he didn't go into much detail about the tech specs or anything about the 3DS, he did have a few things to say about the piracy problem and the 3D effects of the 3DS. He seems to be taking piracy seriously and it will probably be harder than ever to hack-

- more security measures to protect against piracy
    - piracy situation very bad in Asia and Europe, says Iwata
    - "We fear a kind of thinking is become widespread that paying for software is meaningless. We have a strong sense of crisis about this problem."
    - Iwata acknowledged people were already worried about the possible health effects of 3-D gaming, such as on children's eyesight.
    - Iwata promised that turning off the 3D feature is very easy
    - Iwata on Nintendo's most recent financial forcast: "I'm not pessimistic, and this is not a pessimistic forecast."

The 3DS will be the new major handheld and is to be officially unveiled at E3 this June. It has been confirmed to have a 3D effect without the need for glasses, and it is back compatible with DS/DSi games. Other than that, we don't know much about it at all and anything else is just rumor and speculation until we take a look at it.

Source
    Another Source

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Well that remains to be seen, I'm not sure if I'll get a flashcard or whatever for this. Depends on if demos will be given out or not.

3. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    I reckon flash carts will most likely to happen - Just no DSi/3DS games.

4. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    I welcome enhanced measures to protect against piracy. It's become so easy that our gaming communities have become flooded with horrible users who think that spending $6 on an R4 entitles them to endless support and the ability to play any game they feel like.

Curbing (or outright stopping) piracy would help clean up our gaming communities in a huge way, and I'm all for it.

5. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom

in korea the vast majority of ds games are pirated, so he lied

edit: i was sure i saw "piracy situation isn't very bad in Asia and Europe, says Iwata" and i was like wtf

sorry

6. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    It was actually pleasing, despite the crap the forum got, that the last Pokemon game took a while to get cracked. Gaming is just so disposable nowadays.

7. Phazon13

Member Phazon13 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I hope it will be very hard to hack it and it has a risc of bricking. Nowadays, it's just too easy and everyone just download. I still buy some really good games and I think everyone has to buy a good game now and then. [​IMG]

8. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    "More challenging" anti-piracy will just mean there'll be those people who will work that much harder to crack it. It seems unlikely that it'll remain unhacked indefinitely.

While I don't support piracy, DS flashcarts have been incredibly useful for me in a number of ways; and it'd be a shame to see that go away for the 3DS.

9. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    So true, it will get hacked one day, no doubt about it.
    The way the games are going to be distributed is also going to be very important for us.

10. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    as ap gets better hackers get better

the simple law of piracy

11. DS1

Member DS1 伝説の雀士

United States
    Well... another law might be that as AP gets better, rude people demanding fixes increase, and then hackers lose their spirit and drop out of the game :\

edit: though I agree all of this stuff will be hacked eventually, but will it be before or after everyone loses interest?

12. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Nintendo won't be able to beat piracy. If they want to beat piracy, they gotta a monster hardware that makes piracy not worth it (like how Sony uses Blurays).

Even if pirating the games isn't as easy as the DS - buy a flashcart and load games into microSD - there will still be a way around it. Possibly some soldering and flashing on the hardware itself.

13. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    How is that a lie when Korea is part of Asia? Or did you make a mistake there? [​IMG]

@everyone- yeah, nothing is unhackable and yeah we'll have to get better at piracy cracking, but it will be done, especially if there is a huge demand to get this system hacked.

14. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    LOL at this comment:

Looks like someone's got it a bit wrong.

15. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    I am all for paying full price for games, if the price is within reason of course. DS games are not that expensive, 30-40 dollars for a game is reasonable and I have purchased my share of games for it over the years because quite frankly there are some games that are just worth buying to support their developers. Console games are a whole different ball game, developers can fuck themselves if they think I am going to spend 60 dollars on a Wii game or 80 dollars for a PS3 or 360 game, those prices are asinine even when you do have a job, those working on minimum wage can barely afford to buy one game per month and still pay bills which is why a lot of people pirate games. I remember when N64 games used to cost around 40 dollars and there really was no piracy because there was no technology to do it. With the invention of micro flash cards and simple cartridge solutions it is so easy to create devices to pirate DS games, or hack the PSP or 360's firmware to do the same sorts of things.

You know Sony did something right with the PSP Go and PS3, both are pretty much hack proof and have been truly unbreakable for quite a while now. It's been a good while since the PSP Go came out and no one has hacked it and only recently has the PS3 been hacked but not to the point of piracy.

16. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    Games cost a shitload more to make then they did on the N64. Teams are bigger and then you have to pay for scriptwriters, voice artists and all that.

You've also got the "license" fee that the three console makers charge. Get rid of that then they will be as cheap as PC games but then the big three wouldn't support those games that well and would have to raise the price of their own consoles, even Nintendo who have never had a loss on each Wii sold.

17. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    the psp go has a hack, but piracy on it is still not possible. www.pspslim-hacks.com

18. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    If they cost more to make, why are some of the biggest games so bloody short? I mean honestly, look at the budget for Final Fantasy, the games take 40 hours to beat and have huge budgets, yet short games like CoD which last 10 hours have insanely high budgets too. Interesting how the same hasn't happened in film yet, movie tickets are still 10 dollars yet budgets for films exceed 100 million dollars for the big movies. Price gouging is all it is. With big name titles they could sell the games for 30 dollars and still make a killing, it's like gas for your car, horribly overpriced yet you look at the financial gains every year by oil companies even though they could drop the price like 30 cents a liter and still make money, it's all a scam.

19. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    I'm also kind of rooting for Nintendo here. While I still occasionally pirate software, I'm always loyal to companies I love. ( Just call me Mr. Hypocrite.)

Pirating is getting so mainstream lately, it's kind of unsettling. [​IMG]

20. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    Because they cost shitloads more to make if they were longer [​IMG]

That or companies like having DLC to sell.