Hacking I've heard closing a n3DS on 2.1 bricks it... why is this?

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read somewhere that someone thinks it may have to do with "invalid" streetpass data. If that's the case, nothing can be done about that because wireless needs to be on to do the exploit for the OTP.
Doubt it, cause the system can function without the streetpass mii plaza. Plus, exactly how does it end up 'invalid'?

Last edited by Sketchy1,

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know how you get various notifications when you put a freshly formatted 3DS into sleep mode? Probably something like that. But hm, that isn't streetpass, is it...

Sketchy1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know how you get various notifications when you put a freshly formatted 3DS into sleep mode? Probably something like that. But hm, that isn't streetpass, is it...
Yes, thats spotpass, not streetpass. 2 Diffrent things lml

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Like the above people said about it being unknown, but I've heard that it could be caused by an invalid mcu state.

I heard it was similar to the LED bricks (MCU brick, was it?).

Can you recover from a 2.1 sleep brick with a hardmod and nand backup? If so then it isn't a MCU brick since those are unrecoverable the last time I checked.

Blue

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can you recover from a 2.1 sleep brick with a hardmod and nand backup? If so then it isn't a MCU brick since those are unrecoverable the last time I checked.
No, I think the guide says you can't recover from them

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes, thats spotpass, not streetpass. 2 Diffrent things lml
The tutorial notifications aren't even spotpass, they're generated locally by Home itself (just like you can use NotifyMii to create notifications not associated with a software) :)

a MCU brick since those are unrecoverable the last time I checked.
They MAY be fixable with an i2c hardmod (different and harder than a typical nand hardmod), some people on irc were trying this summer but I didn't hear anything about it. Don't get your hopes needlessly up though...

Reactions: gnmmarechal

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While you're only on 2.1 for 5 minutes at best, it sure is annoying to take the microSD out of an open N3DS. Like jeeze, it feels so flimsy when it isn't closed.

SonicCloud

miss americana.
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Probably is cause because of a MCU brick when closing the console

now , im not sure about the thing im going to say but:
Due to the 2.1 firmware that was only in 3DS , putting the n3ds in sleep mode it will send a LED pattern , but due to the new 3ds using an Old 3ds firmware , it will send a pattern that is only used on Old 3DS to the new 3ds that will cause the MCU of the console to brick

Can someone correct me if i said something wrong?

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
It downloads old 3DS updates while in Sleep Mode. Closing the system without a WiFi connection definitely doesn't brick

Probably is cause because of a MCU brick when closing the console

now , im not sure about the thing im going to say but:
Due to the 2.1 firmware that was only in 3DS , putting the n3ds in sleep mode it will send a LED pattern , but due to the new 3ds using an Old 3ds firmware , it will send a pattern that is only used on Old 3DS to the new 3ds that will cause the MCU of the console to brick

Can someone correct me if i said something wrong?
The MCU is used to send LED patterns as soon as the system is boot up on 2.1. You get SpotPass notifications immediately when you turn the system on after the downgrade. The blue LED also turns on during this point, so invalid LED data probably isn't it

Last edited by Halvorsen,

Sketchy1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It downloads old 3DS updates while in Sleep Mode. Closing the system without a WiFi connection definitely doesn't brick

The MCU is used to send LED patterns as soon as the system is boot up on 2.1. You get SpotPass notifications immediately when you turn the system on after the downgrade. The blue LED also turns on during this point, so invalid LED data probably isn't it

That's actually a very good point. If it had been an MCU problem, then the system would have bricked literally on startup, but the fact that it doesn't probably means it isn't it.

BUUUUT, that being said, therefore gives 2 conflicting problems:
1)If it was an MCU brick, it would have broke the minuet you got the spotpass notifications
2)if it ISNT an MCU brick, then it must be recoverable.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But if it isn't an MCU problem, then it must be something were simply overlooking/don't know yet about sleep mode

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
But, why tho? The time it takes to do the OTP and flashing the 9.2 back takes less time than turning it on and off.

Beeecause you're not supposed to take the SD card off when the console is on? That's like removing an USB drive from your computer just by grabbing it. That in itself can corrupt files on the card/stick, and what did the guide say about checking the SD card for any errors ... yep that's right. Idk about you but I'd rather not take any risks.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the A9LH process, you'd usually need to downgrade to 2.1 to get an OTP, even on n3DS.
But I've seen warnings not to close the n3DS on 2.1, or else it'll brick.

Why is this, technically? Does something break Sleep Mode? Why would this cause a permanent brick, even after rebooting the system?

I can't seem to find it but I believe the actual technical reason for it was stated by either yellows8 or someone else that knows the hardware.
I did spend a good amount of time looking for it, but I couldn't seem to find the actual quote, I just remember it being on some random github issues tracker.

Essentially is that the 2.1 firmware sends a specific command that places the console in full sleep mode, which happens a few minutes after the unit is closed, and on the New 3DS, it doesn't handle the command well (due to some sort of hardware difference in the o3DS and n3DS)

So it's pretty much definitely an non-nand* brick of some sort, or a literal hardware fault, where something is actually damaged in hardware by the attempt to go into a bad sleep mode state.

Last edited by CheatFreak47,

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't think you can.
Restoring nand through a hardmod does work afaik, and I think the reason why it does involves mcu_firm not being completely fucked over like yellows8s brick (I'm just talking out of my ass so don't quote me). What might happen is when the console boots, mcu_firm is still in a semi-stable™ state, where it can be updated and accept stuff, but due to hardware being invalid, it refuses to finish booting. After restoring nand, it detects that mcu_firm is outdated, and updates. (also, if it isn't clear, I don't entirely know what I'm talking about)

Reactions: Xeonhawk

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Restoring nand through a hardmod does work afaik, and I think the reason why it does involves mcu_firm not being completely fucked over like yellows8s brick (I'm just talking out of my ass so don't quote me). What might happen is when the console boots, mcu_firm is still in a semi-stable™ state, where it can be updated and accept stuff, but due to hardware being invalid, it refuses to finish booting. After restoring nand, it detects that mcu_firm is outdated, and updates. (also, if it isn't clear, I don't entirely know what I'm talking about)
Afaik, it's been stated that it isn't recoverable through a NAND hardmod multiple times.

Sent from my cave of despair where I collect souls

Sketchy1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't seem to find it but I believe the actual technical reason for it was stated by either yellows8 or someone else that knows the hardware.
I did spend a good amount of time looking for it, but I couldn't seem to find the actual quote, I just remember it being on some random github issues tracker.

Essentially is that the 2.1 firmware sends a specific command that places the console in full sleep mode, which happens a few minutes after the unit is closed, and on the New 3DS, it doesn't handle the command well (due to some sort of hardware difference in the o3DS and n3DS)

So it's pretty much definitely an MCU brick of some sort, or a literal hardware fault, where something is actually damaged in hardware by the attempt to go into a bad sleep mode state.
Well then again, the MCU command.....
Are you implying that the n3ds sends a different code then the o3ds to the LED when sent to sleep ?

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
MCU and NAND are completely separate, and the nand doesn't contain any MCU firmware, so it can't repair itself.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: That counts as a software update :tpi: