It's uncertain if Sonic Mania will receive a physical release.

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    The popular EB Games in Australia and UK's The Game Collection are expecting physical copies of Sonic Mania however, Aaron Webber from Sega has unfortunately confirmed they're no news on physical format release as of yet for Sonic Mania.

EB Games:
    - Twitter (https://twitter.com/EBGamesAus/status/824794530448867328)

The Game Collection:
    - Question sent by customer

I really hope Sega isn't going forward with the idea of releasing Sonic Mania as a digital-only title. That would suck!

CatmanFan and Chary like this.
  2. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I was completely baffled, and honestly thought the game was getting a physical release. That is, until I checked my collector's edition preorder and saw that it comes with a digital copy of the game. The heck? That's disappointing, but expected by SEGA, I guess. Bleh.

3. Thomas83Lin

Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

Jul 22, 2009
    United States
    It is disappointing, I was just reading up on this yesterday. If I have to get a digital copy, I will. Hopefully it gets a physical copy though.

Last edited by Thomas83Lin, Jan 30, 2017
  4. KhaderWelaye

KhaderWelaye GBAtemp Regular

Mar 31, 2012
    United States
    I thought the Sonic Mania: Collector's Edition description has always stated, "Metallic Collector's Card with Sonic Mania Download Code (digital game code)"

Rip physical I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not a terrible way to bridge the gap between physical and a digital releases, but resale value on something like this will be weird not including the physical game.

5. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Waste of resources (plastic metal ect) for a small game. Games that are under 4gb in size shouldn't get physical releases IMHO! If you can not afford a 64 gb sd card or at least a 1tb hard drive, you probably shouldn't spending your cash on gaming.

6. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    If it doesn't get a day one release, or limited, then only popularity will result in us getting a physical game. Probably. Sega does weird things.

7. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    This is like the "Year of Sonic" and Sonic Mania & Project Sonic 3D are two games that a lot of gamers are looking forward to. If Sonic Mania doesn't get a physical release I'll be skipping it.

osaka35 likes this.
  8. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    Why would you skip a game just because it's digital-only?

9. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    I wouldn't be able to own a physical copy of it and play it on different systems at ease. Digital format just isn't something I'm a fan of.

10. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    To each their own, i enjoy having my vast library of games ready without having to worry about disks or carts or whatever. Plus, digital games don't get day one updates, they download updated versions on day 1 :)

11. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Sorry but as convenient as digital is, it isn't infallible; neither format is infallible, some people like to be able to take the game wherever they want and not tied to-a-console BS.

Sinon and Saiyan Lusitano like this.
  12. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Less about cost and more of...

people really like their games physical.

Would be disappointing if there's no physical release. Would even pay for both Project Sonic with Sonic Mania pack-in.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  13. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Nintendo are the only ones locking games to a single unit. Don't like it, don't buy their hardware. It is that simple.

Digital is the future. Comsumers need to get used to it. In another 10 years, i don't see psyhical releases happening anymore, unless the Drump actually succeeds in killing net neutrality

14. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    I hate digital only games, if I'm not getting a physical copy I can keep for however long I like or sell on at any point when I see fit then It would have to be damn cheap and a really really good game I see my game purchases as an investment, if the game is digital only it has a virtual lock on it, locking it to your system/account, no "hmmmm Im not too keen on this actually, I will just give it to my cousin for his birthday :evil:" or "ooooh I will just play through it quick and sell it on eBay and recover 60% of the original costs"

I'm all for having a digital library of all your games accessible wherever you want.....but that's what backup loaders are for :P it's sad to see people so eager to sign away the last of their rights to buy and sell games, if you accept digital only releases as the norm you are basically handing over all market control to the likes of Nintendo, now look at their eshop prices vs a physical cart 9/10 they will refuse to reflect a normal market value, I personally dread the day people accept publishers etc having a death grip on prices rather than market demand

Last edited by gamesquest1, Jan 30, 2017
    thorasgar likes this.
  15. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    First, don't bring politics in here, second, if Nintendo is going to lock them to a console, then I'm going to continue justify DRM circumvention for games I paid for. To hell with tying it to the consoles, what kind of stupid practice is that? Steam doesn't do it, PSN doesn't do it, Origin or UPlay don't do it. Nintendo would be a dumbass if they keep doing it.

thorasgar likes this.
  16. osaka35

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    I prefer having physical, but I'll also pick up the digital if it's super low prices.

Digital owners have different/less rights than physical owners. Digital you "rent" games indefinitely...up until they decide to pull it. Physical is yours and they can't come take it back. In the US at any rate, copyright laws are lame.

thorasgar and xile6 like this.
  17. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Unless you circumvent the DRM, otherwise you have to stupidly pay for the game again if your console gets stolen, dies, etc. I had to do that with an Ubisoft game I purchased before UPlay was a big deal. Splinter Cell Conviction had stupid DRM on it, I couldn't redownload it so instead of paying for a new license, I just downloaded a certain patch. DRM makes legit customers suffer.

osaka35 likes this.
  18. osaka35

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Agreed. DRM only seems to hurt the legit.

the_randomizer likes this.