Gaming It's uncertain if Sonic Mania will receive a physical release.

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 1,660
  • Replies 17
  • Likes 2
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
The popular EB Games in Australia and UK's The Game Collection are expecting physical copies of Sonic Mania however, Aaron Webber from Sega has unfortunately confirmed they're no news on physical format release as of yet for Sonic Mania.

EB Games:
Hi there! At this stage we are expecting a physical release for this title :)

- Twitter (https://twitter.com/EBGamesAus/status/824794530448867328)

The Game Collection:
Apologies for the delayed response! Our office is closed over the weekend.

The game will be a physical copy as we do not sell download codes.

We hope this is helpful information.

- Question sent by customer

I really hope Sega isn't going forward with the idea of releasing Sonic Mania as a digital-only title. That would suck!

Reactions: CatmanFan and Chary

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I was completely baffled, and honestly thought the game was getting a physical release. That is, until I checked my collector's edition preorder and saw that it comes with a digital copy of the game. The heck? That's disappointing, but expected by SEGA, I guess. Bleh.

TeconMoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the Sonic Mania: Collector's Edition description has always stated, "Metallic Collector's Card with Sonic Mania Download Code (digital game code)"

Rip physical I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not a terrible way to bridge the gap between physical and a digital releases, but resale value on something like this will be weird not including the physical game.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waste of resources (plastic metal ect) for a small game. Games that are under 4gb in size shouldn't get physical releases IMHO! If you can not afford a 64 gb sd card or at least a 1tb hard drive, you probably shouldn't spending your cash on gaming.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it doesn't get a day one release, or limited, then only popularity will result in us getting a physical game. Probably. Sega does weird things.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
If it doesn't get a day one release, or limited, then only popularity will result in us getting a physical game. Probably. Sega does weird things.
This is like the "Year of Sonic" and Sonic Mania & Project Sonic 3D are two games that a lot of gamers are looking forward to. If Sonic Mania doesn't get a physical release I'll be skipping it.

Reactions: osaka35
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
Why would you skip a game just because it's digital-only?
I wouldn't be able to own a physical copy of it and play it on different systems at ease. Digital format just isn't something I'm a fan of.

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't be able to own a physical copy of it and play it on different systems at ease. Digital format just isn't something I'm a fan of.
To each their own, i enjoy having my vast library of games ready without having to worry about disks or carts or whatever. Plus, digital games don't get day one updates, they download updated versions on day 1 :)

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waste of resources (plastic metal ect) for a small game. Games that are under 4gb in size shouldn't get physical releases IMHO! If you can not afford a 64 gb sd card or at least a 1tb hard drive, you probably shouldn't spending your cash on gaming.
Less about cost and more of...

Why would you skip a game just because it's digital-only?
people really like their games physical.

Would be disappointing if there's no physical release. Would even pay for both Project Sonic with Sonic Mania pack-in.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry but as convenient as digital is, it isn't infallible; neither format is infallible, some people like to be able to take the game wherever they want and not tied to-a-console BS.

Nintendo are the only ones locking games to a single unit. Don't like it, don't buy their hardware. It is that simple.

Digital is the future. Comsumers need to get used to it. In another 10 years, i don't see psyhical releases happening anymore, unless the Drump actually succeeds in killing net neutrality

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I hate digital only games, if I'm not getting a physical copy I can keep for however long I like or sell on at any point when I see fit then It would have to be damn cheap and a really really good game I see my game purchases as an investment, if the game is digital only it has a virtual lock on it, locking it to your system/account, no "hmmmm Im not too keen on this actually, I will just give it to my cousin for his birthday :evil:" or "ooooh I will just play through it quick and sell it on eBay and recover 60% of the original costs"

I'm all for having a digital library of all your games accessible wherever you want.....but that's what backup loaders are for :P it's sad to see people so eager to sign away the last of their rights to buy and sell games, if you accept digital only releases as the norm you are basically handing over all market control to the likes of Nintendo, now look at their eshop prices vs a physical cart 9/10 they will refuse to reflect a normal market value, I personally dread the day people accept publishers etc having a death grip on prices rather than market demand

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: thorasgar

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo are the only ones locking games to a single unit. Don't like it, don't buy their hardware. It is that simple.

Digital is the future. Comsumers need to get used to it. In another 10 years, i don't see psyhical releases happening anymore, unless the Drump actually succeeds in killing net neutrality

First, don't bring politics in here, second, if Nintendo is going to lock them to a console, then I'm going to continue justify DRM circumvention for games I paid for. To hell with tying it to the consoles, what kind of stupid practice is that? Steam doesn't do it, PSN doesn't do it, Origin or UPlay don't do it. Nintendo would be a dumbass if they keep doing it.

Reactions: thorasgar

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer having physical, but I'll also pick up the digital if it's super low prices.

Digital owners have different/less rights than physical owners. Digital you "rent" games indefinitely...up until they decide to pull it. Physical is yours and they can't come take it back. In the US at any rate, copyright laws are lame.

Reactions: thorasgar and xile6

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer having physical, but I'll also pick up the digital if it's super low prices.

Digital owners have different/less rights than physical owners. Digital you "rent" games indefinitely...up until they decide to pull it. Physical is yours and they can't come take it back. In the US at any rate, copyright laws are lame.

Unless you circumvent the DRM, otherwise you have to stupidly pay for the game again if your console gets stolen, dies, etc. I had to do that with an Ubisoft game I purchased before UPlay was a big deal. Splinter Cell Conviction had stupid DRM on it, I couldn't redownload it so instead of paying for a new license, I just downloaded a certain patch. DRM makes legit customers suffer.

Reactions: osaka35

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you circumvent the DRM, otherwise you have to stupidly pay for the game again if your console gets stolen, dies, etc. I had to do that with an Ubisoft game I purchased before UPlay was a big deal. Splinter Cell Conviction had stupid DRM on it, I couldn't redownload it so instead of paying for a new license, I just downloaded a certain patch. DRM makes legit customers suffer.
Agreed. DRM only seems to hurt the legit.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.