Homebrew Is Wine for Mac any use?

Cleish85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I've been having trouble with the likes of Teconmoom and Injectiine on my crappy laptop. I have an old Mac there and im thinking about installing Wine on it to run the programs to see if they work. I'm getting mixed reviews in it. Feed back would be much appreciated

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Wine has... mixed compatibility. Some things may work out-of-the-box, others may require additional configuration by either manually installing dependencies or using the ever popular winetricks tool, and some applications may not work at all! In the end, it all comes down to whether or not you're willing to get your hands dirty and experiment to see if you can get the applications to work under Wine. I don't have a Mac, so I can't test the applications you're trying to use (I suspect compatibility between the Linux and Mac versions can differ), but I wish you luck in your attempts!

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I ran VMWare Fusion on a first gen Macbook Air 11, and now am running Parallels on a first gen Macbook Air retina 13", for exactly the purpose you had in mind. Both worked well. Compatibility is high.

For the Macbook Air 11 I opted for Windows XP, on the 13" I'm now running Windows 10. Your 'old Mac' still should be Intel based though probably.

In terms of speed, Win 10 now is slightly less performant than Win XP was on my old device (although Parallels apparently is more optimized).

If you get a Windows key from a shady ebay seller (usually sell decomissioned units versions, or mass activation keys), the main cost point will be either VMWare fusion, or Parallels itself.

I can just say - that this route works well. And worked well for me in the past.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Check the compatibility list, I’ve used WINE and crossover in the past with mixed results.

For example, Notepad++ would have to be forced closed in certain circumstances (switched to Atom in the end).

If you want windows software, I would just use Bootcamp and/or VMs (I know VMware Fusion can work with bootcamp partitions, just be sure not to use an OEM key if you want to dual boot and VM the same installation).

If you go the commercial VM route, you may want to wait for black friday and use a cashback service like quidco.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night